Patient Comments: Colposcopy - Patient Experience

Did you receive a colposcopy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Kyla, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have never experienced anything like that, even after getting needles, tattoos, a broken bone, etc. The doctor took 4 biopsies, the second one hurt so bad that I started crying on the table. Walking out of the room I nearly fainted. I have been told I need to go back for another colposcopy and I am terrified to the point that I may not go.

Comment from: Lizgee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I underwent colposcopy and biopsy following first ever ASCUS Pap smear as I transitioned through menopause. It was an entirely unnecessary and horrible procedure which led to no conclusive finding. The gynecologist led me to believe I had an HPV infection and that quite possibly my spouse of 28 years may have cheated on me. After my second ASCUS Pap two years later I took estrogen for 3 weeks before paying for a follow up HPV test which showed negative for HPV and a clear pap. Opt for the HPV test first.

Comment from: Barb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

The colposcopy was fine, it was the loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) that followed that was one of the most painful procedures I have ever had in my life. It took months for me to recover, I ended up leaving my husband for two weeks. My periods after this procedure smelled like burning flesh, it was gross. That was 12 years ago and three days ago I found out I have to have another colposcopy. I am terrified at the thought of having another LEEP. I would rather have a hysterectomy. I'm 50, went through menopause already, done having kids, I don't use it anymore, I don't need it.

Comment from: jess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

About 5 years ago I had been diagnosed with moderate dysplasia, and had undergone photoablation. After that I made sure to follow up with all of the Gardasil shots, and had never had another abnormal pap smear. I had a pap done in March of 2014, and it came back fine. Now, in November of 2013, I have an abnormal pap, cervical ectropion, and almost no vitamin D in my body, high level of antibodies in my thyroid, and very low white blood cell count. My colposcopy can't be done for another month. I'm nervous.

Colposcopy - Diagnosis Question: What was the diagnosis from your colposcopy?