Patient Comments: Colostomy - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your colostomy?

Comment from: nat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had diverticulitis and on April 19th I had a colostomy. I am fortunate to be able to get it reversed however I am wondering how bad the pain is.

Comment from: DES57, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in 2007. I went through 8 weeks of chemotherapy and worst of all, radiation before they would operate. Two feet of my colon were removed and I had a colostomy for 8 months. I hated every minute of the bag and was so happy to have the resection. Now 7 years later, the damage the radiation did to my colon has made it useless. I have fought constant pain and constipation for 3 years and have to use a catheter to get my bowel empty. So this Friday 12/18/15 the surgeons are going to remove my entire colon and I will have a permanent bag. I want to live but am very depressed about the situation. I would never have gone through the radiation if I only knew what I know now.

Comment from: wanda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

After a day like all others I all of a sudden had severe pain in lower stomach. I went to the emergency room and found I had perforated bowel from diverticulitis, and had emergency surgery the next morning. The colostomy bag (which I call ole faithful) was a blessing to me; the pain I had was horrific. After surgery the pain was gone, but replaced by the bag. Yeah, it was very hard a t first trying to figure the bag out but after 6 months of wearing it I am ok with it. I will be going for reversal surgery on September the 3rd. Anyone who has to wear the bag should consider it a blessing to be able to wear it and live!

Comment from: BobB015, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I had to have a colostomy due to diverticulitis. The CAT scan showed an abscess with a micro-perforation. At first they weren't worried about it and were treating me with medicines in the hospital. For some reason my surgeon didn't like what he was seeing and during surgery found a large abscess that was hidden in the CAT scan that required removal of part of my colon. I owe that man my life, I really do believe if that abscess had ruptured I'd have died. So now I have a colostomy bag while they wait for my colon to heal enough to do a reversal. I keep reading about cleaning out the bag and I went through that at first, but now have a 2 piece bag that is wonderful. I just remove the bag, throw it away, clean around the stoma, and snap a new bag into place. This really is the way to go. I was really depressed about the bag until my VNA (Visiting Nurse Association) nurse showed me this setup; now life is bearable while I wait for the reversal.

Comment from: Stonell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had my colostomy in August of 2010 as a result of diverticulitis. I was diagnosed with the disease in June of that same year. I was very sick and it took almost 2 weeks before I started to feel better. I had a lot of stressful things going on in my life at the time and when the disease reared its ugly head again not 3 months later one of the diverticula became cystic and ruptured. I was very sick and full of infection. I was lucky enough to get to the emergency room and had surgery that same night. I was a preschool teacher at the time and couldn"t go back to work due to lifting requirements. I recovered quickly and within 3 months had my reversal and am currently living a normal life free of the diverticulitis. I will agree that a sense of humor and a positive attitude are a necessary part of the recovery process.

Comment from: Lolla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Three to five weeks ago my colon raptured and an ulcer burst. I had an emergency operation where they removed 90% of my stomach, part of my small intestine, one whole part of my colon, one ovary and my appendix. I now have a colostomy that doctor hope to reverse end March 2014.

Comment from: motchambers1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Hi, everyone. I had colon surgery October 19, 2011. I had to wait six months for my diseased colon to heal (about 8 inches had to be removed). My colostomy reversal surgery was done six weeks ago and I am healing, just problems with pinned up gas. One tip for colostomy wearers who are female: I always emptied and cleaned my bag on my knees in front of the toilet. I am short and it just did not work for me to sit on the toilet and do it. After my first surgery I was very depressed and cried a lot, had a lot of self-pity. I have always exercised and been able to control my weight. I put on about 25 pounds between my surgeries (6 months). However, I had quit smoking during this time also. I know my October surgery saved my life and I am grateful for my surgery and my surgeons. There is life after colon surgery, good luck and follow doctor's orders and do keep your sense of humor. My husband and I used to joke about us praying for poop, but our prayers were answered.

Colostomy - Day to Day Question: Do you have a colostomy? What are your tips for dealing with it day to day?