Patient Comments: Colostomy - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your colostomy?

Comment from: Stonell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had my colostomy in August of 2010 as a result of diverticulitis. I was diagnosed with the disease in June of that same year. I was very sick and it took almost 2 weeks before I started to feel better. I had a lot of stressful things going on in my life at the time and when the disease reared its ugly head again not 3 months later one of the diverticula became cystic and ruptured. I was very sick and full of infection. I was lucky enough to get to the emergency room and had surgery that same night. I was a preschool teacher at the time and couldn"t go back to work due to lifting requirements. I recovered quickly and within 3 months had my reversal and am currently living a normal life free of the diverticulitis. I will agree that a sense of humor and a positive attitude are a necessary part of the recovery process.

Comment from: Lolla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

Three to five weeks ago my colon raptured and an ulcer burst. I had an emergency operation where they removed 90% of my stomach, part of my small intestine, one whole part of my colon, one ovary and my appendix. I now have a colostomy that doctor hope to reverse end March 2014.

Comment from: motchambers1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Hi, everyone. I had colon surgery October 19, 2011. I had to wait six months for my diseased colon to heal (about 8 inches had to be removed). My colostomy reversal surgery was done six weeks ago and I am healing, just problems with pinned up gas. One tip for colostomy wearers who are female: I always emptied and cleaned my bag on my knees in front of the toilet. I am short and it just did not work for me to sit on the toilet and do it. After my first surgery I was very depressed and cried a lot, had a lot of self-pity. I have always exercised and been able to control my weight. I put on about 25 pounds between my surgeries (6 months). However, I had quit smoking during this time also. I know my October surgery saved my life and I am grateful for my surgery and my surgeons. There is life after colon surgery, good luck and follow doctor's orders and do keep your sense of humor. My husband and I used to joke about us praying for poop, but our prayers were answered.

Comment from: gaspasserman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a colostomy done about 5 weeks ago and I am very appreciative of this article. It answered a few of the little nagging questions about care of the device. I will now carry an extra one with me. I also work in the medical profession. I fell, landing on my back, fracturing 3 ribs, and resulting in a diaphragmatic hernia with bowel in the chest. The surgery also required a chest tube for a pneumothorax. All resolved but now I still have, shall I say a bloated feeling, and only am able to eat smaller meals, but do use protein drinks and snacks in between with fluids. One definite necessity is to have a nurse (WIFE) to make you do all to get well.

Comment from: Never2old, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

Good article, happy to know that recovery from the reversal isn't as painful or time-consuming. Suggestion for cleaning the bag when away from home. After you unclamp the bag, fold it back on itself like a cuff. After you have emptied it, wipe off the new end, then unfold the cuff. At this point, I lay it on my leg and with the "male" side of the clip, scrape the residual back up the bag a little way. This keeps the end cleaner and keeps the clip from squeezing feces out. I would be careful about how much olive oil you put in it, because it will cause the adhesive patch to release. Also, DON'T use Alli for dieting purposes, because it really works! And it turns any fat you consume into liquid grease, and the adhesive won't work, AT ALL.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had a lot of pain and was in septic shock when my stomach collapsed had several surgeries and they did the colostomy I want it reversed now having too many problems.

Comment from: desperate w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had Cancer, radiation caused a severe rectal burn. The pain was so excruciating I couldn't see going on with it. My surgeon offered a colostomy and after a while I knew we had to do it. I also have Interstitial cystitis, which means no control over urination. Well to act like a woman and wife again is more than I can deal with. Does anybody have a suggestion? Please, desperate w.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had a colostomy since 1988 as a result of cancer. There have been relatively few problems except for the occasional blow out and a few bowl obstructions. One that required surgery. The main issue was learning how to cope and accept that this was a permanent problem. A realization that I am going to have to learn how to live with it. I was only 46 years old, divorced, with 4 kids. This took a major adjustment to maintain my quality of life. I'm now 70. The whole key to getting through this ordeal is attitude and a sense of humor.

Colostomy - Day to Day Question: Do you have a colostomy? What are your tips for dealing with it day to day?