Patient Comments: Colostomy - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your colostomy?

Comment from: squeakdoc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I had a colostomy due to a large bowel obstruction. I had scar tissue from my diverticulitis which caused the obstruction. I waited too long to see a doctor; I had emergency surgery and was able to have a reversal 3 months afterwards. My way of dealing with the colostomy was using the closed ostomy bags that I changed out every day. Luckily, my insurance paid for that. I did not deal with this as well as I wished so I did seek counseling for those 3 months which did help me enormously. I had a wonderful surgeon and I am thankful for having him during this terrible time in my life.

Comment from: Katie30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I came on this page to try and get some reassurance that what is in store for me isn't going to be too bad and reading this story has done that. I am a 30 year old woman with 2 beautiful sons aged 7 and 10. I have been suffering with abdominal and bowel pains for years. Doctors put it down to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) but something still wasn't right. My periods had become really irregular and the pains were unbearable in particular when passing stools during the time of my menstrual cycle. I was sent to a gynecologist who did a laparoscopy and discovered I have endometriosis. I had surgery in December 2016 but it was found to have wormed its way into my lower bowel (literally next to my rectum apparently) so I am due surgery again on 15th August 2017 (2 weeks today) and will be undergoing a bowel resection with a colostomy bag too. I am hoping to have this reversed but the consultant is quite worried about the reversal as he is not sure how well the joint will heal due to where it is. Fingers crossed it all goes well and gets me my quality of life back. I have had 2 children so I'm used to dealing with poop so that doesn't faze me, I suppose it will be adjusting my diet and making sure I'm prepared for any eventuality. I am due to see the stoma nurses on Thursday. Really anxious now but it's good to read other people's stories and their experiences.

Comment from: Wizard, 75 or over (Patient) Published: February 27

I had a colonoscopy done at a medical center (not a hospital), trust me, that is not the way to go. If your doctor does not do the procedure at a hospital, run and find you a new doctor. I ended up with a hole in my colon and had to go to the hospital and have emergency surgery. I ended up with a colostomy bag for 4 months and then the reversal which was worse than getting the colonoscopy done. If I had known I would not have done the reversal, and lived with the bag until I got tired of living.

Comment from: LNS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and had to have an emergency surgery during Memorial Day weekend of this past year. I have been with my colostomy for about 4 months now and will be scheduled for the reversal sometime in November. I know the recovery was a bit much but I am curious how it will be this time around.

Comment from: nat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had diverticulitis and on April 19th I had a colostomy. I am fortunate to be able to get it reversed however I am wondering how bad the pain is.

Comment from: DES57, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in 2007. I went through 8 weeks of chemotherapy and worst of all, radiation before they would operate. Two feet of my colon were removed and I had a colostomy for 8 months. I hated every minute of the bag and was so happy to have the resection. Now 7 years later, the damage the radiation did to my colon has made it useless. I have fought constant pain and constipation for 3 years and have to use a catheter to get my bowel empty. So this Friday 12/18/15 the surgeons are going to remove my entire colon and I will have a permanent bag. I want to live but am very depressed about the situation. I would never have gone through the radiation if I only knew what I know now.

Comment from: wanda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

After a day like all others I all of a sudden had severe pain in lower stomach. I went to the emergency room and found I had perforated bowel from diverticulitis, and had emergency surgery the next morning. The colostomy bag (which I call ole faithful) was a blessing to me; the pain I had was horrific. After surgery the pain was gone, but replaced by the bag. Yeah, it was very hard a t first trying to figure the bag out but after 6 months of wearing it I am ok with it. I will be going for reversal surgery on September the 3rd. Anyone who has to wear the bag should consider it a blessing to be able to wear it and live!

Colostomy - Day to Day Question: Do you have a colostomy? What are your tips for dealing with it day to day?