Patient Comments: Colostomy - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your colostomy?

Comment from: Wizard, 75 or over (Patient) Published: February 27

I had a colonoscopy done at a medical center (not a hospital), trust me, that is not the way to go. If your doctor does not do the procedure at a hospital, run and find you a new doctor. I ended up with a hole in my colon and had to go to the hospital and have emergency surgery. I ended up with a colostomy bag for 4 months and then the reversal which was worse than getting the colonoscopy done. If I had known I would not have done the reversal, and lived with the bag until I got tired of living.

Comment from: LNS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis and had to have an emergency surgery during Memorial Day weekend of this past year. I have been with my colostomy for about 4 months now and will be scheduled for the reversal sometime in November. I know the recovery was a bit much but I am curious how it will be this time around.

Comment from: nat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I had diverticulitis and on April 19th I had a colostomy. I am fortunate to be able to get it reversed however I am wondering how bad the pain is.

Comment from: DES57, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in 2007. I went through 8 weeks of chemotherapy and worst of all, radiation before they would operate. Two feet of my colon were removed and I had a colostomy for 8 months. I hated every minute of the bag and was so happy to have the resection. Now 7 years later, the damage the radiation did to my colon has made it useless. I have fought constant pain and constipation for 3 years and have to use a catheter to get my bowel empty. So this Friday 12/18/15 the surgeons are going to remove my entire colon and I will have a permanent bag. I want to live but am very depressed about the situation. I would never have gone through the radiation if I only knew what I know now.

Comment from: wanda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

After a day like all others I all of a sudden had severe pain in lower stomach. I went to the emergency room and found I had perforated bowel from diverticulitis, and had emergency surgery the next morning. The colostomy bag (which I call ole faithful) was a blessing to me; the pain I had was horrific. After surgery the pain was gone, but replaced by the bag. Yeah, it was very hard a t first trying to figure the bag out but after 6 months of wearing it I am ok with it. I will be going for reversal surgery on September the 3rd. Anyone who has to wear the bag should consider it a blessing to be able to wear it and live!

Comment from: BobB015, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I had to have a colostomy due to diverticulitis. The CAT scan showed an abscess with a micro-perforation. At first they weren't worried about it and were treating me with medicines in the hospital. For some reason my surgeon didn't like what he was seeing and during surgery found a large abscess that was hidden in the CAT scan that required removal of part of my colon. I owe that man my life, I really do believe if that abscess had ruptured I'd have died. So now I have a colostomy bag while they wait for my colon to heal enough to do a reversal. I keep reading about cleaning out the bag and I went through that at first, but now have a 2 piece bag that is wonderful. I just remove the bag, throw it away, clean around the stoma, and snap a new bag into place. This really is the way to go. I was really depressed about the bag until my VNA (Visiting Nurse Association) nurse showed me this setup; now life is bearable while I wait for the reversal.

Comment from: Stonell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had my colostomy in August of 2010 as a result of diverticulitis. I was diagnosed with the disease in June of that same year. I was very sick and it took almost 2 weeks before I started to feel better. I had a lot of stressful things going on in my life at the time and when the disease reared its ugly head again not 3 months later one of the diverticula became cystic and ruptured. I was very sick and full of infection. I was lucky enough to get to the emergency room and had surgery that same night. I was a preschool teacher at the time and couldn"t go back to work due to lifting requirements. I recovered quickly and within 3 months had my reversal and am currently living a normal life free of the diverticulitis. I will agree that a sense of humor and a positive attitude are a necessary part of the recovery process.

Colostomy - Day to Day Question: Do you have a colostomy? What are your tips for dealing with it day to day?