Patient Comments: Colostomy - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your colostomy?

Comment from: lucky_dancer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

There was a small tear in my colon. The pain was horrible. They say it was caused by diverticulitis. They also say my being on prednisone was a major factor in the tear. While it isn't something I would wish on ANYONE, I am thankful I have gotten through it. My reversal was done 2 weeks ago, exactly 3 months after the emergency colostomy. I even learned I'm allergic to wheat. So I feel better even as I learn to make adjustments to my diet.

Comment from: Daniel, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

Perforated diverticulitis and peritonitis. Had to go to the hospital ER after going face-down on my bed with horrible abdominal pain. Currently living with the colostomy and it is hell. The author of this article has described my own experience as if it were his own. My reversal surgery is in 17 days. I can't wait. It is truly amazing how life can just suddenly pull the rug out from underneath you. It's also amazing how resilient and tough you can be when put to it. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but it's not the end of the world. As this author says, there are MUCH worse things that could happen.

Comment from: Dubber01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had anal cancer and the radiation caused so much damage (scarring and shrinkage) there was no other option - tried several things and nothing helped. The pain upon having a BM (which was few and far between) was so horrible I would vomit every time. It took almost 2 years for these problems to rear their ugly head - post radiation.

Colostomy - Day to Day Question: Do you have a colostomy? What are your tips for dealing with it day to day?