Patient Comments: Colostomy - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your colostomy?

Comment from: Colon One, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

Mine started as a lower bowel resection for diverticulitis. The colon was reattached but began leaking, and a colostomy was performed. It was reversed three months later, but once the surgeon went back in, most of my colon had gone bad and required resection. Two years passed and three operations later, all seems well.

Comment from: angelgirlamor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

hello everyone I'm 31 years old and have had a colostomy since birth. There is time I fall down and cry. I have been wanting to have a baby, but no luck. Can you be pregnant and have a colostomy?

Comment from: 3cancers2years, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have colon cancer and find out next week when surgery is. Because of where the tumor is almost positive of colostomy. I agree keep the sense of humor. These articles have helped immensely. I have no idea what I am in for, but I do expect to have the latest fashion accessory that everyone will want.

Comment from: mike\vins little bro, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My brother had the operation (colostomy) 10-24-11. He now says he feels like a freak, he won't go anywhere because he says he always has a smell. He also was given 3 to 6 months to live. That was two months ago. I want to make him as happy as I can, I'd like to get him to go out. If anyone knows how to stop the smell from the mucus from his rectum, we appreciate your help.

Comment from: Penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I just had an emergency Colostomy 6 weeks ago my doctor said if I had waited 1-2 more days I would have died. I was basically horrified by the whole thing and having to have the "Bag" but I got a great tip from my home visiting nurse who got it from one of her patients for emptying the bag and let me tell you it's a Godsend. Just take a little vegetable or olive oil and put about 1/2 tsp in the (Unused) bag and rub it all over the inside of the bag and it lubricates it so when you empty it well it just slides right out I am a female and I just can stand in front of the toilet and do it, and the inside of the bag is left practically like new you don't have to clean it out, just a little around the opening. So I hope this reaches a lot of people because it will be a huge benefit.

Comment from: classylady1004, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I will be having the colon resection surgery in a week and the colostomy bag is probable but hopefully temporary. I have a great deal of diverticulosis for my age and a rupture which created a fistula through my vaginal wall. I wasn't prepared for this diagnosis so my head is spinning. I really appreciated this article to answer basic fundamental everyday questions about living with a stoma. Thank You!

Comment from: lucky_dancer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

There was a small tear in my colon. The pain was horrible. They say it was caused by diverticulitis. They also say my being on prednisone was a major factor in the tear. While it isn't something I would wish on ANYONE, I am thankful I have gotten through it. My reversal was done 2 weeks ago, exactly 3 months after the emergency colostomy. I even learned I'm allergic to wheat. So I feel better even as I learn to make adjustments to my diet.

Comment from: Daniel, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

Perforated diverticulitis and peritonitis. Had to go to the hospital ER after going face-down on my bed with horrible abdominal pain. Currently living with the colostomy and it is hell. The author of this article has described my own experience as if it were his own. My reversal surgery is in 17 days. I can't wait. It is truly amazing how life can just suddenly pull the rug out from underneath you. It's also amazing how resilient and tough you can be when put to it. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but it's not the end of the world. As this author says, there are MUCH worse things that could happen.

Comment from: Dubber01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had anal cancer and the radiation caused so much damage (scarring and shrinkage) there was no other option - tried several things and nothing helped. The pain upon having a BM (which was few and far between) was so horrible I would vomit every time. It took almost 2 years for these problems to rear their ugly head - post radiation.

Colostomy - Day to Day Question: Do you have a colostomy? What are your tips for dealing with it day to day?