Patient Comments: Colostomy - Cause

Question:What was the cause of your colostomy?

Comment from: Never2old, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

Good article, happy to know that recovery from the reversal isn't as painful or time-consuming. Suggestion for cleaning the bag when away from home. After you unclamp the bag, fold it back on itself like a cuff. After you have emptied it, wipe off the new end, then unfold the cuff. At this point, I lay it on my leg and with the "male" side of the clip, scrape the residual back up the bag a little way. This keeps the end cleaner and keeps the clip from squeezing feces out. I would be careful about how much olive oil you put in it, because it will cause the adhesive patch to release. Also, DON'T use Alli for dieting purposes, because it really works! And it turns any fat you consume into liquid grease, and the adhesive won't work, AT ALL.

Comment from: Colon One, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

Mine started as a lower bowel resection for diverticulitis. The colon was reattached but began leaking, and a colostomy was performed. It was reversed three months later, but once the surgeon went back in, most of my colon had gone bad and required resection. Two years passed and three operations later, all seems well.

Comment from: desperate w., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had Cancer, radiation caused a severe rectal burn. The pain was so excruciating I couldn't see going on with it. My surgeon offered a colostomy and after a while I knew we had to do it. I also have Interstitial cystitis, which means no control over urination. Well to act like a woman and wife again is more than I can deal with. Does anybody have a suggestion? Please, desperate w.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had a colostomy since 1988 as a result of cancer. There have been relatively few problems except for the occasional blow out and a few bowl obstructions. One that required surgery. The main issue was learning how to cope and accept that this was a permanent problem. A realization that I am going to have to learn how to live with it. I was only 46 years old, divorced, with 4 kids. This took a major adjustment to maintain my quality of life. I'm now 70. The whole key to getting through this ordeal is attitude and a sense of humor.

Comment from: angelgirlamor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

hello everyone I'm 31 years old and have had a colostomy since birth. There is time I fall down and cry. I have been wanting to have a baby, but no luck. Can you be pregnant and have a colostomy?

Comment from: 3cancers2years, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have colon cancer and find out next week when surgery is. Because of where the tumor is almost positive of colostomy. I agree keep the sense of humor. These articles have helped immensely. I have no idea what I am in for, but I do expect to have the latest fashion accessory that everyone will want.

Comment from: mike\vins little bro, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 16

My brother had the operation (colostomy) 10-24-11. He now says he feels like a freak, he won't go anywhere because he says he always has a smell. He also was given 3 to 6 months to live. That was two months ago. I want to make him as happy as I can, I'd like to get him to go out. If anyone knows how to stop the smell from the mucus from his rectum, we appreciate your help.

Comment from: Penny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I just had an emergency Colostomy 6 weeks ago my doctor said if I had waited 1-2 more days I would have died. I was basically horrified by the whole thing and having to have the "Bag" but I got a great tip from my home visiting nurse who got it from one of her patients for emptying the bag and let me tell you it's a Godsend. Just take a little vegetable or olive oil and put about 1/2 tsp in the (Unused) bag and rub it all over the inside of the bag and it lubricates it so when you empty it well it just slides right out I am a female and I just can stand in front of the toilet and do it, and the inside of the bag is left practically like new you don't have to clean it out, just a little around the opening. So I hope this reaches a lot of people because it will be a huge benefit.

Comment from: classylady1004, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I will be having the colon resection surgery in a week and the colostomy bag is probable but hopefully temporary. I have a great deal of diverticulosis for my age and a rupture which created a fistula through my vaginal wall. I wasn't prepared for this diagnosis so my head is spinning. I really appreciated this article to answer basic fundamental everyday questions about living with a stoma. Thank You!

Colostomy - Day to Day Question: Do you have a colostomy? What are your tips for dealing with it day to day?