Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: danpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow and was given the preparation of 236 grams of Miralax to be mixed in two 32 oz bottles of Gatorade, 4 Dulcolax tablets, and 5 oz magnesium sulfate. I am to take the Dulcolax at 4 pm, drink one bottle of Gatorade mixture at 6 pm over an hour, and then the 5 oz of magnesium sulfate. The next morning at 6 am I am supposed to drink the other bottle of Gatorade mixture (the day of the test at 1 pm. My doctor told me to make sure I drink at least 64 oz of water every day and since my colonoscopy is on a Monday I should start eating only food that I could eat without teeth (i.e. mashed potatoes, pudding, Jell-O, and noodles in broth) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with only clear liquids on Sunday and nothing after 10 am on Monday. He says that eliminates the awful diarrhea and you just have liquids expelling Sunday night and Monday morning. My problem is I have either hemorrhoids or a polyp or tumor block my anus and not even water can get through.

Comment from: KB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have hypothyroidism going on 20 plus years. I was diagnosed due to a goiter of 1.5 cm. I took levothyroxine for years with no problem. Lately, I had the feeling of something stuck in my throat, just above the spot where the collar bones meet. Not painful, but an annoying pressure that is constant. The doctor had me go in for an ultrasound today to look at the size of the thyroid, and see if there are nodes. They will also check the lymph nodes in the area; if swollen I go back for a biopsy. I like that others share on this site; it is a difficult disease at times and support is always helpful. Thank you.

Comment from: Granny J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

After my first colonoscopy I learned quickly that before starting your preparation you need to use plenty of Vaseline or a thick paste because the acid will scald your skin. The doctors do not give you this little information, but believe me, do it.

Comment from: ninjakitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I currently have blisters and a bright red rash from a staph infection. I haven't slept in over 24 hours because of the itching and burning. It is worse at night despite Benadryl and a prescription strength antihistamine. The clindamycin makes it worse as well as gives me nausea.

Comment from: Jackie704, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I recently had a colonoscopy. I am a 66 year old woman. I had severe constipation problems when I was younger. At the age of 25 years old, one night I ended up in the emergency hospital with impacted bowels. After that I underwent a barium enema test and a proctoscopy test. The results of the proctoscopy was that I had more footage of intestines than a normal person. To prepare for my colonoscopy I received a prescription, a 4 liter empty plastic container which contained TriLyte which had to be mixed with water the day before. I was instructed to begin drinking 8 ounces of this liquid beginning at 6:00 pm the night before every 15 minutes. I alternated the instructions, I began drinking at 11:00 am that morning and consumed 8 ounces every hour and I also drank in between ten ounce bottles of magnesium citrate. I also in between drank cups of plain water. My bowels started moving at 5:00 pm. I was glad I started ahead of time. I could not imagine drinking that horrible liquid every 15 minutes. My colonoscopy went fine. I was cleaned out and it was a relief to get it over with.

Comment from: Melinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 46 years old and going for my first colonoscopy in the morning at 8:15. I'm doing the preparation as I type. This stuff is nasty but I'm worried about pain or being put under. I'm doing this because my brother passed from colon cancer two years ago at age 44.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.