Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: macneill61, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I did away with all those preparations. I get a colonic the day before and just don"t eat till after my colonoscopy the next morning. I've been doing this for years with no problems.

Comment from: Toronto55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was prescribed Klean-Prep for my colonoscopy last month (December, 2013) but instead went with Purg-Odan, a generic substitute for Pico-Salax. Two 5 oz. glasses of the citrus tasting powder mixed with water (tip: refrigerate mixture for a few min. before chugging), then your choice of clears for the remainder of the preparation time - believe me, when volume is the thing, so is variety! While I checked with my doctor first about changing to Purg-Odan and it was given the thumbs up, the nurse confided they don't prescribe it as a rule because the milder version (Pico-Salax or Purg-Odan) doesn't work for everyone. Meaning - be your own best friend and reduce your heavy meat and carb intake for a couple/few days prior to this so it doesn't have to do so much heavy lifting and you'll spare yourself having to drink hideous volumes of the same mixture (no variety with Klean-Prep) then suffer the industrial-strength consequences. My "cleanse" was not the nightmare I'd read about and I opted to be sedated for the test itself so it was kind of a non-event. And now I am good for another 10 years without fear of the next one.

Comment from: Never again!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had an allergic reaction to the prep and they were not able to do the colonoscopy. The prep involved consuming 238g of Miralax dissolved in 64 ounces of Gatorade at the rate of 8oz every 15 minutes. What they don't tell you is that some people can have an allergic reaction to this drug, especially taken in such a large quantity. Probably most of us have never used Miralax and certainly not that much at one time, so we don't realize the risk until it is too late. I didn't. Nor did I realize that the polyethylene glycol used in this drug is used in many other products I am allergic to.

Comment from: MEF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

With a family history of CC (colon cancer), I had my 7th colonoscopy yesterday. My first one was with medication, and all the rest without. I have a very long colon so they have to manipulate my stomach at times to get the extra length needed to see the entire colon. However, it is not nearly as painful as I am reading. I am there 1/2 hour before, about 45 minutes for the procedure, in particular when removing polyps, then I dress, talk to the doctor and drive home. Pico-Salax is the easiest prep and if you eat carefully starting two days before the procedure and drink liquids, including Boost type products the day before, even the preparation is relatively painless. My understanding is that 98% of British people have a colonoscopy without medication. Once I read that, I decided to try it as well. If you do it without medication, you will never go back to IVs, nausea, not knowing what is going on, and needing to be driven around. The pain is not excruciating. So you groan a bit once in a while.

Comment from: Bekah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I used Suprep in preparation for my colonoscopy. I found it easiest to tolerate using very cold water and a straw. I'm just glad there wasn't a whole gallon of it to drink, just 16 oz. The things I got to make the prep more pleasant are: Depends (they were a godsend as they keep any accidents you might have less messy than if you didn't have them), flushable wet wipes (so much less irritating than toilet paper), Boudreaux's butt paste (to apply before starting my prep and after every BM (bowel movement), it kept me from getting sore). I also stopped eating meat five days before my procedure, I stuck to eating soft, easily digested food, which meant less to purge from your bowels. The actual colonoscopy was a breeze, the prep was unpleasant, but not unbearable.

Comment from: Swampdweller, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I fractured my ankle during my preparation for colonoscopy. After sitting on the throne for a very long time, my left foot went to sleep. Not realizing this, when I stood up I twisted my ankle. It was very painful, but because of my ongoing preparation I couldn"t seek medical assistance. Today after my colonoscopy I went to an orthopedic doctor and came away with the diagnosis of a fractured ankle.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.