Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Granny J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

After my first colonoscopy I learned quickly that before starting your preparation you need to use plenty of Vaseline or a thick paste because the acid will scald your skin. The doctors do not give you this little information, but believe me, do it.

Comment from: ninjakitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I currently have blisters and a bright red rash from a staph infection. I haven't slept in over 24 hours because of the itching and burning. It is worse at night despite Benadryl and a prescription strength antihistamine. The clindamycin makes it worse as well as gives me nausea.

Comment from: Jackie704, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I recently had a colonoscopy. I am a 66 year old woman. I had severe constipation problems when I was younger. At the age of 25 years old, one night I ended up in the emergency hospital with impacted bowels. After that I underwent a barium enema test and a proctoscopy test. The results of the proctoscopy was that I had more footage of intestines than a normal person. To prepare for my colonoscopy I received a prescription, a 4 liter empty plastic container which contained TriLyte which had to be mixed with water the day before. I was instructed to begin drinking 8 ounces of this liquid beginning at 6:00 pm the night before every 15 minutes. I alternated the instructions, I began drinking at 11:00 am that morning and consumed 8 ounces every hour and I also drank in between ten ounce bottles of magnesium citrate. I also in between drank cups of plain water. My bowels started moving at 5:00 pm. I was glad I started ahead of time. I could not imagine drinking that horrible liquid every 15 minutes. My colonoscopy went fine. I was cleaned out and it was a relief to get it over with.

Comment from: BRIGHTSPARK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had colonoscopy last Saturday. The preparation solution was the worst; 2 liters to drink of a lemony solution but I got it down. Going to the loo constantly to empty bowel was hard and I had a sore anus (sorry). I developed bad migraine and felt sick due to lack of water and food before the operation so was getting very stressed out. I was waiting in my gown for two hours with migraine. Eventually they did it. I was sedated, was conscience of people talking and the tube going in which did not hurt. All I remember is them saying it was finished after that and having a big crampy feeling in my abdomen and a load of gas afterwards. I was aware of being wheeled back into recovery room where I was promptly sick after trying to eat a bit of toast. I believe this was due to getting stressed before and them giving me paracetamol. However, with sedation the procedure was very quick and didn't hurt. I am surprised if people have been sedated and are saying they were in agony.

Comment from: frank, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was fishing in Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia and got stung by a stingray in my left ankle. The barb went in about 2 inches and initially I thought it was a shark. There was heaps of blood so I got out of the water as soon as possible. It took about ten minutes to get back to camp and while boiling the Billy the pain was unlike any I ever had experienced. But as soon as I put my foot into hot water it eased. After about an hour I removed my foot from bucket and had a shave (fresh water was scarce so thought I would use it). Four days later we went into town and saw the doctor. They gave me antibiotics in a drip and next morning I drove home. I got there late and had more antibiotics in a drip. I had a week of pills since and they run out tomorrow. The wound is getting bigger and a little painful so will go back to the doctor in the morning. We'll see what happens.

Comment from: pennycat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had my first colonoscopy recently, at age 51. The preparation was not pleasant, mostly due to the liquid diet the day before, and the horrible tasting stuff you have to drink. I found that holding one's nose while drinking it helps. Just push yourself through it! I didn't suffer any cramps. The procedure itself, for me, was painless. I had three polyps removed, but no aftereffects, except one strange one, amnesia! According to my husband, I woke up in the recovery room and chatted with him, and was very polite to the staff. He helped me dress, and drove me home. I have no memory of any of it! Pretty weird, but sort of funny, too. Now that I've been through it, I won't be so nervous the second time. My condolences to anyone who has had a bad experience, however.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.