Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Chase W., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I didn't experience a rash or even muscle aches. The only thing I felt was severe headaches that got even worse than migraines. They got so bad that they were debilitating and it hurt to even nod. One night I went to the hospital because it got so bad, and my blood pressure was 170/98 because of the pain. They did a tick panel and found Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Comment from: danpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow and was given the preparation of 236 grams of Miralax to be mixed in two 32 oz bottles of Gatorade, 4 Dulcolax tablets, and 5 oz magnesium sulfate. I am to take the Dulcolax at 4 pm, drink one bottle of Gatorade mixture at 6 pm over an hour, and then the 5 oz of magnesium sulfate. The next morning at 6 am I am supposed to drink the other bottle of Gatorade mixture (the day of the test at 1 pm. My doctor told me to make sure I drink at least 64 oz of water every day and since my colonoscopy is on a Monday I should start eating only food that I could eat without teeth (i.e. mashed potatoes, pudding, Jell-O, and noodles in broth) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with only clear liquids on Sunday and nothing after 10 am on Monday. He says that eliminates the awful diarrhea and you just have liquids expelling Sunday night and Monday morning. My problem is I have either hemorrhoids or a polyp or tumor block my anus and not even water can get through.

Comment from: KB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have hypothyroidism going on 20 plus years. I was diagnosed due to a goiter of 1.5 cm. I took levothyroxine for years with no problem. Lately, I had the feeling of something stuck in my throat, just above the spot where the collar bones meet. Not painful, but an annoying pressure that is constant. The doctor had me go in for an ultrasound today to look at the size of the thyroid, and see if there are nodes. They will also check the lymph nodes in the area; if swollen I go back for a biopsy. I like that others share on this site; it is a difficult disease at times and support is always helpful. Thank you.

Comment from: Granny J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

After my first colonoscopy I learned quickly that before starting your preparation you need to use plenty of Vaseline or a thick paste because the acid will scald your skin. The doctors do not give you this little information, but believe me, do it.

Comment from: ninjakitty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I currently have blisters and a bright red rash from a staph infection. I haven't slept in over 24 hours because of the itching and burning. It is worse at night despite Benadryl and a prescription strength antihistamine. The clindamycin makes it worse as well as gives me nausea.

Comment from: Ellen, Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I did my first colonoscopy two weeks ago. It was not as bad I thought it would be. Do the low fiber diet 2 or 3 days before the preparation. I was totally put out. So glad I did it. I had cervical cancer two years ago and doing preventive cancer screening. There are so many different types of cancers in my family.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.