Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: mel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I literally just got home from having my colonoscopy. I was terrified for 3days. I followed the directions for preparation to a tee; white food 2 days before, no food and only clear fluids the day before and then in I went at 7.30 am. The PicoPrep did not work fast on me but the Glycoprep-C (the flagon of it) worked a treat. When I went in I was worried it was not all gone from my system so the doctor said he would suck it all out. I was upset they didn't have modesty shorts (would have tidied myself up a bit if I had known). The nurse said she would look into getting them. Anyway, once I was on the bed and cannula in, they put propofol in and I was out. The next minute I woke up and the nurses said it was all over and I had been in recovery for 20 minutes. The doctor came in after they gave me food and said it was all good. No gas in my tummy; happy about that too. They sent me home in a taxi and all the waiting patients were happy to see me out so quickly. No dramas or pain.

Comment from: Chase W., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I didn't experience a rash or even muscle aches. The only thing I felt was severe headaches that got even worse than migraines. They got so bad that they were debilitating and it hurt to even nod. One night I went to the hospital because it got so bad, and my blood pressure was 170/98 because of the pain. They did a tick panel and found Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Comment from: danpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow and was given the preparation of 236 grams of Miralax to be mixed in two 32 oz bottles of Gatorade, 4 Dulcolax tablets, and 5 oz magnesium sulfate. I am to take the Dulcolax at 4 pm, drink one bottle of Gatorade mixture at 6 pm over an hour, and then the 5 oz of magnesium sulfate. The next morning at 6 am I am supposed to drink the other bottle of Gatorade mixture (the day of the test at 1 pm. My doctor told me to make sure I drink at least 64 oz of water every day and since my colonoscopy is on a Monday I should start eating only food that I could eat without teeth (i.e. mashed potatoes, pudding, Jell-O, and noodles in broth) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with only clear liquids on Sunday and nothing after 10 am on Monday. He says that eliminates the awful diarrhea and you just have liquids expelling Sunday night and Monday morning. My problem is I have either hemorrhoids or a polyp or tumor block my anus and not even water can get through.

Comment from: KB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have hypothyroidism going on 20 plus years. I was diagnosed due to a goiter of 1.5 cm. I took levothyroxine for years with no problem. Lately, I had the feeling of something stuck in my throat, just above the spot where the collar bones meet. Not painful, but an annoying pressure that is constant. The doctor had me go in for an ultrasound today to look at the size of the thyroid, and see if there are nodes. They will also check the lymph nodes in the area; if swollen I go back for a biopsy. I like that others share on this site; it is a difficult disease at times and support is always helpful. Thank you.

Comment from: Granny J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

After my first colonoscopy I learned quickly that before starting your preparation you need to use plenty of Vaseline or a thick paste because the acid will scald your skin. The doctors do not give you this little information, but believe me, do it.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.