Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I read somewhere on the web that I could eat gummy bears before the colonoscopy exam because they digest. Wrong! I watched the screen and was awake during the exam and saw the little tiny yellow specks in my colon that the doctor had to wash away with water. I used a straw and had the liquid ice cold when I drank it for preparation. Keep the straw way back behind the taste buds. It was easy. One good news is at 52 they found no polyps. Good Luck with your test!

Comment from: Alyssa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was at my boyfriend's house and stepped on a piece of plastic that had two industrial size staples through it and it went about a half inch into my heel and caused the puncture wound.

Comment from: dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

The worst part of colonoscopy is the preparation beforehand. You have to take two liters of Miralax mix and water; you feel sick but if you tolerate it, it is not too bad. The day of the procedure I was nervous but when you have the sedation it is ok. You don't know when they insert the camera or when they are finished, I must have dozed off half way through but kept looking at the camera. You feel sleepy after, but wait in recovery for 30 minutes and then you are ok. You then have toast and tea, and wait for your lift home. All in all I am glad it's over.

Comment from: Marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am preparing for my 2nd colonoscopy today. What I cannot understand is the amount of prep stuff they have you take. The bottle of Miralax states it is 14 days of treatments that I'm to consume in a couple of hours. Dulcolax box says take 1 per day and I have to take 3 with the stuff above. It doesn't matter if you weigh 90 pounds or 500 pounds, the prep is the same which is ridiculous. Last time I had this done I ended up dehydrated from taking so much which resulted in me being a pin cushion while they tried my hands, arms, legs and feet trying to find a place where they could get the IV to go in. I'm dreading prep today for tomorrow's test and am considering not taking as much as they say.

Comment from: banjo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I just got done with the prep work for colonoscopy. I am having my colonoscopy in the morning. The key is to eat light 2 days before. I've only been on the toilet 12 light times. It is all clear and I feel good. I mixed my Miralax with apple juice. I have been drinking warm beef and chicken broth, I think it makes things flow smooth. Good luck to all.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had my first colonoscopy today. I was a wreck the entire week, for absolutely nothing. The preparation was a breeze (Prepopik), fantastic. I was sedated with propofol and anti-nausea medication. It was done in 20 minutes and on my way home 30 minutes post procedure. I slept most of the day and drank lots of water. Don't let others' experiences frighten you, not everyone is the same. Key is a good gastroenterologist. Good luck!

Comment from: macneill61, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I did away with all those preparations. I get a colonic the day before and just don"t eat till after my colonoscopy the next morning. I've been doing this for years with no problems.

Comment from: Toronto55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was prescribed Klean-Prep for my colonoscopy last month (December, 2013) but instead went with Purg-Odan, a generic substitute for Pico-Salax. Two 5 oz. glasses of the citrus tasting powder mixed with water (tip: refrigerate mixture for a few min. before chugging), then your choice of clears for the remainder of the preparation time - believe me, when volume is the thing, so is variety! While I checked with my doctor first about changing to Purg-Odan and it was given the thumbs up, the nurse confided they don't prescribe it as a rule because the milder version (Pico-Salax or Purg-Odan) doesn't work for everyone. Meaning - be your own best friend and reduce your heavy meat and carb intake for a couple/few days prior to this so it doesn't have to do so much heavy lifting and you'll spare yourself having to drink hideous volumes of the same mixture (no variety with Klean-Prep) then suffer the industrial-strength consequences. My "cleanse" was not the nightmare I'd read about and I opted to be sedated for the test itself so it was kind of a non-event. And now I am good for another 10 years without fear of the next one.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.