Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: zip, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had this procedure about 9 months ago it went very well and they said everything was fine. Now I have had hives and trouble with my tongue swelling up they said it was a food allergy but It only started after having this procedure. Did anyone else have such a thing happen and how can I get rid of the hives. Nobody will listen and the allergy Dr. just tells me I need to investigate different foods to find what I'm allergic too. Someone said you can develop food allergies to this procedure.

Comment from: sk, 45-54 Male Published: June 01

As a 50th birthday present, my primary care doc gave me a box of SuPrep and an appointment for a colonoscopy. I found the liquid sort of unpleasant, but not terrible. I used very cold water. Anyway, I got it down fine and then drank the additional water within the hour required. The first round, in the evening, started working in about 45 minutes. No cramping or pain at all. I probably had two or three 10-minute sessions on the toilet over the course of the next two hours and then went to bed and slept through the night. Another round the next morning -- also went fine. Maybe the trick is to eat lightly the day or two even before the liquid diet starts. The colonoscopy procedure itself was a breeze. About 20 minutes, no polyps -- don't remember a thing --then about 30 minutes to recover from the sedative and then on my way. No ongoing pain or issues. Back for another one in ten years. Definitely, anticipating the experience was far worse than undergoing it.

Comment from: Ani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I am 65 years old and just had my first colonoscopy performed along with a gastroscopy. First of all I mixed the Colyte with the pineapple mix which the pharmacist included and then mixed it all with water then I put it in the fridge the day before I was to drink it. It did not taste bad at all. And because I was told not to eat anything the day before I was to take the Colyte it worked out great because my stomach was empty. The worst part for me was the burning on my rectum everytime I had use the bathroom. Today the test was done without any problems or pain. I was sedated the whole time. My husband picked me up and I was just a little lighted headed, there was no bleeding (just very little when they did the test). Now so far I am feeling fine except for a little dizzy. This test is not bad at all as long as you can sleep through it. Good Luck to everyone.

Comment from: brownezye, Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, and the prep as by far the worst part. I had nothing but liquids the whole day beef broth, jello no red or grape Gatorade and between 5 and 9pm was the worst part. Drinking the prep made me full and tasted awful. Stay by the bathroom for a couple of hours and just as I thought I had slowed down prior to 9pm yeah right. You have to drink a 32oz with the prep and another 64oz within your first hour and again another prep at 9pm and another 64oz of water. I was sore and sleepy you will get chills and feel like you have a fever but that is normal. The day of the procedure was easy early morning around 6.30am and I was put to sleep. Done by 9am. I was hungry and sleepy. Slept most of the day and it took about good 3/days for a normal bowel movement. Clean bill of health. yeah. Drinking the prep was the worst part it was not tasty other than that it was worth it.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I first of all accepted the fact that being over fifty years old, it was time to have a colonoscopy. I scheduled an appointment to learn what was needed in the way of being prepared for the exam and bought some laxatives. I took the laxatives as prescribed and stayed home that day. I took a cab to the clinic, signed the paper work, and changed into a gown. The exam was history in a very short time and there was no pain. I took a cab home.

Comment from: jk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I was told to buy magnesium citrate and take at dinner time 2 days before with 2 to 4 glasses of water. The day before clear liquid diet until 6 am the day of the procedure. I have a gallon of Gavilyten solution and started drinking it at 4pm the day before with more water.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had a colonoscopy two days ago and it was a really simple procedure--nothing to fear. The preparation the day before with the colpiprep is the worst part!

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.