Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Norton, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I can't believe that doctors are not prescribing Pico-Salax preparation for a colonoscopy! It is much easier to tolerate than other preparations and works very well.

Comment from: Sarnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I was supposed to have my colonoscopy yesterday, took the preparation as instructed; nothing, no bowel movement. I became extremely poorly. The doctor sent me to hospital, I was vomiting extremely bad, and had terrible pain. I have diverticulitis. They said my bowel stopped working. I will never go through that again. I'm having a CT scan.

Comment from: Eric Lucas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 23

I took Miralax 238 mg bottle and 4 x 5 gram Dulcolax before colonoscopy which is the perfect dose for me, a 6 ft. 4 inch, and 297 lb. male!

Comment from: Admiral, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

The worst part of the preparation for colonoscopy was drinking what tasted to me like badly flavored cough syrup. I don't understand why we can send someone to the moon but not make that stuff palatable.

Comment from: Swampdweller, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I fractured my ankle during my preparation for colonoscopy. After sitting on the throne for a very long time, my left foot went to sleep. Not realizing this, when I stood up I twisted my ankle. It was very painful, but because of my ongoing preparation I couldn"t seek medical assistance. Today after my colonoscopy I went to an orthopedic doctor and came away with the diagnosis of a fractured ankle.

Comment from: feathers, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

As everyone says, the preparation is rough. I did mess up though, I drank a bouillon cube that was not "clear". It made the procedure a little more difficult for the doctor. It may seem hard to believe, but the procedure was actually a breeze, almost pleasant. It was a very good team, and I just got a good nap out of it, no side effects at all.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had my second colonoscopy 10 days ago. I made sure the prep is cold, drank it with a straw and I kept a hard lemon candy in my mouth the whole time I was drinking it. It made a huge difference. The IV was not great as she had trouble finding the vein but all in all they did find a rather large polyp which is now gone.

Comment from: Mickeyfin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

It is 6:30 am. I prepped last evening and this morning, not so bad but this is my 5th colonoscopy, having a family history of CC. Best thing I did was to have low volume food for several days. I drank protein drinks until yesterday, when I drank clear liquids. I lost a couple of lbs. I am having propofol instead of Versed, which requires an anesthesiologist. I hate Versed, as I have had pain during one procedure and bad dreams after another, plus longer recovery. I may have to pay extra for the anesthesiologist. Colon cancer is a potentially fatal disease and so easy to prevent with polyp removal, so this process is all worth it.

Comment from: jewels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

The day before, I had nothing to eat and started the prep at noon. I mixed up the batch the night before. I had 4-8oz glasses at about an hour apart. I drank it down quickly and when I finished each time, I took a sip of water and swished my mouth out and swallowed it, to get the taste gone. The taste itself wasn't too bad at all. In between the 2 sessions of 4-8oz glasses, I drank some slightly sweetened water. After my 2nd session which was done by 8pm, I drank a large glass of chicken broth. The saltiness was satisfying as a meal would be. I never felt hungry and was very pleased how it all went. I slept like a baby that night.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.