Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: zip, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had this procedure about 9 months ago it went very well and they said everything was fine. Now I have had hives and trouble with my tongue swelling up they said it was a food allergy but It only started after having this procedure. Did anyone else have such a thing happen and how can I get rid of the hives. Nobody will listen and the allergy Dr. just tells me I need to investigate different foods to find what I'm allergic too. Someone said you can develop food allergies to this procedure.

Comment from: JuJuFJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I hope this helps the first timers. I took the Trilyte prep for my colonoscopy. I must preface by saying it's 100 times better than 20 years ago as it doesn't taste that bad. If you can, do not eat much the day before prep. Stick to soup and for sure nothing the day of the prep and drink lots of water. This will make the cleansing easier and go faster. Prepare your fluid in the morning and put in the fridge to get really cold. No need for flavor packets or add them to each glass full as needed, sometimes they will make the taste worse. Pour prep into an 8oz glass not in a large water glass. Put saran wrap over the top of the glass - so you cant smell it and poke a hole for a straw. Drink very fast. I put lemon concentrate in a shot glass and took a Wee sip after dowing the liquid. That gets rid of the bad taste if there is any. I found having the mixture cold was so much better than at room/tap temperature. The procedure itself is not bad as they put you to sleep and you won't wake up until it's over. Good Luck.

Comment from: sk, 45-54 Male Published: June 01

As a 50th birthday present, my primary care doc gave me a box of SuPrep and an appointment for a colonoscopy. I found the liquid sort of unpleasant, but not terrible. I used very cold water. Anyway, I got it down fine and then drank the additional water within the hour required. The first round, in the evening, started working in about 45 minutes. No cramping or pain at all. I probably had two or three 10-minute sessions on the toilet over the course of the next two hours and then went to bed and slept through the night. Another round the next morning -- also went fine. Maybe the trick is to eat lightly the day or two even before the liquid diet starts. The colonoscopy procedure itself was a breeze. About 20 minutes, no polyps -- don't remember a thing --then about 30 minutes to recover from the sedative and then on my way. No ongoing pain or issues. Back for another one in ten years. Definitely, anticipating the experience was far worse than undergoing it.

Comment from: Ani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I am 65 years old and just had my first colonoscopy performed along with a gastroscopy. First of all I mixed the Colyte with the pineapple mix which the pharmacist included and then mixed it all with water then I put it in the fridge the day before I was to drink it. It did not taste bad at all. And because I was told not to eat anything the day before I was to take the Colyte it worked out great because my stomach was empty. The worst part for me was the burning on my rectum everytime I had use the bathroom. Today the test was done without any problems or pain. I was sedated the whole time. My husband picked me up and I was just a little lighted headed, there was no bleeding (just very little when they did the test). Now so far I am feeling fine except for a little dizzy. This test is not bad at all as long as you can sleep through it. Good Luck to everyone.

Comment from: brownezye, Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, and the prep as by far the worst part. I had nothing but liquids the whole day beef broth, jello no red or grape Gatorade and between 5 and 9pm was the worst part. Drinking the prep made me full and tasted awful. Stay by the bathroom for a couple of hours and just as I thought I had slowed down prior to 9pm yeah right. You have to drink a 32oz with the prep and another 64oz within your first hour and again another prep at 9pm and another 64oz of water. I was sore and sleepy you will get chills and feel like you have a fever but that is normal. The day of the procedure was easy early morning around 6.30am and I was put to sleep. Done by 9am. I was hungry and sleepy. Slept most of the day and it took about good 3/days for a normal bowel movement. Clean bill of health. yeah. Drinking the prep was the worst part it was not tasty other than that it was worth it.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I first of all accepted the fact that being over fifty years old, it was time to have a colonoscopy. I scheduled an appointment to learn what was needed in the way of being prepared for the exam and bought some laxatives. I took the laxatives as prescribed and stayed home that day. I took a cab to the clinic, signed the paper work, and changed into a gown. The exam was history in a very short time and there was no pain. I took a cab home.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.