Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: farmgirl76, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I was given Gavilite (gallon size bottle) with a lemon packet for my colonoscopy. Skipped the packet and mixed the powder with all Gatorade Tropical Blend. No problem taking the liquid at all. It was a lot of liquid, and then 4 dulcolax tablets after the liquid. However, had a liquid diet the day I started the prep, as well as a light diet the prior day. Things went very smoothly. Prep liquid had no bad or bitter or after taste. But I think the Tropical Blend was the answer. This was the easiest prep I have had (I have done this twice before) as far as flavor goes. I did make certain it was good and cold. At first I put it into a glass with ice cubes. That took too long to drink. Since it was really cold, I could just drink it down. And, once again, the flavor made the difference. It's never pleasant having to drink that much liquid, especially when you are not one to drink a lot of liquid anyway, but it was certainly more palatable than anything else I have had recently. Try it. You just might like it. Oh, and the way I settled on the flavor by buying three different flavors of Gatorade, taking them home, and trying each flavor. When I decided on one, I bought 4 qt. size bottles and mixed it in the bottle with the powder and put it on the top shelf of the refrigerator. Must say that there was very little change in the flavor with the mixture than when the Gatorade was straight out of the bottle.

Comment from: worried for nothing, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was put under before the procedure and woke up to have it all finished. I was never told about mixing the horrible solution with any flavors. I started drinking mine at 5 a.m. Turns out I was all worked up for nothing. Worst part was drinking the solution and getting stuck with the IV. Definitely get put to sleep!

Comment from: corteel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I used Suprep before my colonoscopy. It was difficult getting the first 16 oz. down and then the next 32 oz of water, but I managed it. However, the second dose required to take in the early morning before the procedure gave me a problem. I drank the first 16 oz with the Suprep mixture and started drinking the water and mostly everything came back up. However, my colon was cleaned out so the procedure was done. Next time, I'll go with the pills.

Comment from: cajunmamaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had no major problems with prep other than feeling full. Clear liquids all that day. Procedure done 1/4/12 and went like a breeze. This was my first one and I am 60, do not have to have another one for 10 years.

Comment from: miranda, Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I went for a colonoscopy and I was told that I would not feel a thing. I felt it all and I screamed in pain for them to stop. I was traumatized after and I was violently sick as I was so upset. Everyone should be under general anesthesia for this procedure, not sedation. This was no joke and I will never do it again.

Comment from: Darwins Chimp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a colonoscopy today 27/04/11. Total failure. The prep medicine did not work and the doctor could not examine my colon properly, so much so the whole procedure took twice as long. The results that were handed to me indicate that I did not take the medicine, but I followed the regime rigorously to the minute, literally. I am now on the list as being a time waster. However I have to go again in 3 months. I am not dreading the procedure, despite it being very painful, just very concerned that there will be the same result with the medicine (Moviprep).

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I think the worst part is the preparation. The day before I have to take this liquid called fleet and dissolve it in half a liter of water and it tastes bitter. You do that twice, and you have to drink lots of water, half a liter before and half after and more during the day. Then at night, you take another preparation dissolved in a liter of water, and drink it over 45 minutes. Then a few hours before the colonoscopy, you do that again. It's a lot of water to drink. I also had to do a diet four days before with no fiber, only white rice, white bread and potatoes -- no vegetables or fruits, which was hard for me. I did it under a general anesthetic because the first time I didn't have it, it took a long time and it was a little painful. I have this about every three years, as I had cancer, so it's a control.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.