Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: worried for nothing, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was put under before the procedure and woke up to have it all finished. I was never told about mixing the horrible solution with any flavors. I started drinking mine at 5 a.m. Turns out I was all worked up for nothing. Worst part was drinking the solution and getting stuck with the IV. Definitely get put to sleep!

Comment from: corteel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I used Suprep before my colonoscopy. It was difficult getting the first 16 oz. down and then the next 32 oz of water, but I managed it. However, the second dose required to take in the early morning before the procedure gave me a problem. I drank the first 16 oz with the Suprep mixture and started drinking the water and mostly everything came back up. However, my colon was cleaned out so the procedure was done. Next time, I'll go with the pills.

Comment from: cajunmamaw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had no major problems with prep other than feeling full. Clear liquids all that day. Procedure done 1/4/12 and went like a breeze. This was my first one and I am 60, do not have to have another one for 10 years.

Comment from: miranda, Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I went for a colonoscopy and I was told that I would not feel a thing. I felt it all and I screamed in pain for them to stop. I was traumatized after and I was violently sick as I was so upset. Everyone should be under general anesthesia for this procedure, not sedation. This was no joke and I will never do it again.

Comment from: Darwins Chimp, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I had a colonoscopy today 27/04/11. Total failure. The prep medicine did not work and the doctor could not examine my colon properly, so much so the whole procedure took twice as long. The results that were handed to me indicate that I did not take the medicine, but I followed the regime rigorously to the minute, literally. I am now on the list as being a time waster. However I have to go again in 3 months. I am not dreading the procedure, despite it being very painful, just very concerned that there will be the same result with the medicine (Moviprep).

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I think the worst part is the preparation. The day before I have to take this liquid called fleet and dissolve it in half a liter of water and it tastes bitter. You do that twice, and you have to drink lots of water, half a liter before and half after and more during the day. Then at night, you take another preparation dissolved in a liter of water, and drink it over 45 minutes. Then a few hours before the colonoscopy, you do that again. It's a lot of water to drink. I also had to do a diet four days before with no fiber, only white rice, white bread and potatoes -- no vegetables or fruits, which was hard for me. I did it under a general anesthetic because the first time I didn't have it, it took a long time and it was a little painful. I have this about every three years, as I had cancer, so it's a control.

Comment from: Eanie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had numerous colonoscopies over the years. You pick up little tricks. First, go on a non-fiber diet on day 2, 3 and possibly 4 before the procedure. This time my specialist suggested Picoprep and Glycoprep plus plenty of other fluids - tastes good. Must have the Picroprep at the start and finish. Peppermint lollies are good. The new thing was to start day 1 in the morning and drink little bits as you feel like it until the body fluid is clear, then stop. I ended up drinking only 1.2 L. It was a breeze and I kept working during the day.

Comment from: PreppingNow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Does anyone know why some people were asked to avoid all foods with fiber, including vegetables and fruit, while others were not? (I'm referring to the period 4-5 days before the procedure, not the 1-2 days before when you're on a liquid diet). I was only asked to avoid foods with nuts, seeds, tomatoes, popcorn, which seems to allow for leafy vegetables, whole wheat, etc.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.