Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: CJC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had my first-ever colonoscopy for screening in April of 2013. I must say that the worst thing about it (besides the magnesium citrate prep) was reading all the horror stories, along with the anxiety and fear they caused, on various websites for a week before the procedure. I nearly cancelled my appointment because of all the terrible stories. I showed up at the surgi-center very scared and nervous, but the nurses were very understanding and kind. They even injected something to numb the site on my hand for the IV. I admitted to the nurses and the doctor that I am a big baby and did not want to be awake or aware of anything and that I had read all sorts of horror stories. After getting me into position for the procedure, I heard the doctor tell the nurse to "give her 25 and 5.” I watched her put the meds into my IV, closed my eyes and thought "if I close my eyes they will think I am out already," so I opened my eyes back up. The doctor looked at me and told the nurse to give me another “25 and 5.” And that's all I remember until I woke up in recovery. No pain and no problems. I don't have to have another one for 10 years. So, the best advice I can give is to stick with the better-known medical websites for advice, and to let your nurses and doctor know of your fears and concerns. And don't close your eyes until the meds do it for you.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

Instead of mixing the prep solution all at once. We made a fresh glass each time. Thus, instead of making 64 ounces of the liquid at once. We made 8 ounces. 8 different times. In a fresh glass with fresh ice cubes and fresh, chilled water. We could have changed the liquid each time, but chose to stick with Gatorade. Perhaps the result was all psychological, but that's no small thing in this process. Instead of staring at 64 ounces, sitting in a big pitcher. We started afresh with each glass. The doctor had no problem with our method and the solution worked just as it was supposed to.

Comment from: cjbcheer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am going through the prep part right now (11-2-11). I have taken 4 ducolax laxatives and as soon as i had a bowel movement i started drinking the go lightly mix the doc prescribed. I am 3/4th done with it and WOW it sure is working! About halfway way through the gallon I have to drink I vomited because no one told me I shouldn't have eaten this morning. I would have to say though it doesn't taste that bad, just like water with a little salt flavor but if you drink it fast it's not bad and the best part is that i have no stomach pain or cramps like i thought i would. Hopefully everything goes well tomorrow.

Comment from: Kimberly A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had my colonoscopy this morning. Although I was not looking forward to the prep, it was relatively easy. I had no solid foods the day before, only green jello, chicken broth and lots of liquid. The last time I had a colonoscopy I did not drink enough fluids and was dehydrated. My prep consisted of 2 Dulcolax pills at 2pm, followed by the 238mg Miralax mixture in 64 ounces of orange Gatorade starting at 4pm. You drink 8 ozs of this every 10-15mins. I started to feel the effects midway through. Right before my last cup, I vomited half of the mixture, so had to have my SO get more Miralax and a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade. I tolerated it better this time. At 8pm I had to take the second dose of 2 Dulcolax pills. This whole process involved very little cramping, but I was in the bathroom all night long. Had my colonoscopy at 7:30am this morning and all is fine. I slept through the whole thing. The hardest part of today's procedure is the IV they stick in your hand. Not so pleasant. I'm glad it's over. While it's not fun, it is a necessary precaution. And the prep was MUCH better than the one I had 7 years ago.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was to take a solution that dissolves in a liquid for two weeks prior twice a day. After a few days I started to get sick after every meal with constant stomach aches. I started two days before with 2 Dulcolax and had severe cramping 5 hours later. I was supposed to take 2 more the day before but didn't due to the last experience. The night before and right now (it's in 6 hours) I'm doing the drinking prep with the dissolving solution every 15 minutes. The day before was clear fluids. I was surprised at what I could drink for clear fluids. I'm still hungry though. I will also take 2 chewable pills.

Comment from: tu09, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I just had my colonoscopy done today. The absolute worst part was the prep, and the best way to deal with it is energy drinks. The solution they make you drink is disgusting, but believe me when I say it works as noted, even if you have nothing in your system it will work. Big advice is to not use the flavor packs, as I found the flavors made me nauseous. The procedure went as described, I was put to sleep woke up, and it was all over. I had a few biopsies taken and am currently dealing with tons of bloating, constipation and light bleeding. It's sad to read some of these horror stories, but believe me when I say it's not that bad and the prep really is the worst part.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.