Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Mickeyfin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

It is 6:30 am. I prepped last evening and this morning, not so bad but this is my 5th colonoscopy, having a family history of CC. Best thing I did was to have low volume food for several days. I drank protein drinks until yesterday, when I drank clear liquids. I lost a couple of lbs. I am having propofol instead of Versed, which requires an anesthesiologist. I hate Versed, as I have had pain during one procedure and bad dreams after another, plus longer recovery. I may have to pay extra for the anesthesiologist. Colon cancer is a potentially fatal disease and so easy to prevent with polyp removal, so this process is all worth it.

Comment from: jewels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

The day before, I had nothing to eat and started the prep at noon. I mixed up the batch the night before. I had 4-8oz glasses at about an hour apart. I drank it down quickly and when I finished each time, I took a sip of water and swished my mouth out and swallowed it, to get the taste gone. The taste itself wasn't too bad at all. In between the 2 sessions of 4-8oz glasses, I drank some slightly sweetened water. After my 2nd session which was done by 8pm, I drank a large glass of chicken broth. The saltiness was satisfying as a meal would be. I never felt hungry and was very pleased how it all went. I slept like a baby that night.

Comment from: Bret, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I turned 50 and got a colonoscopy. I stuck to a clear diet for two days prior. I also drank 4 liters of GaviLyte-C without lemon as a prep. No problems at all. I spent three hours on the toilet watching a DVD. The procedure was easy. The doctor said he was giving me something to prevent the knock-out juice from burning my arm. He neglected to tell me it was an extra $390 on top of the $390 for the main stuff. Insurance paid only $498. I had one lesion removed (benign). The total cost was $1,025, and my health insurance paid all of that. Now after my $40 copay, I owe $242.

Comment from: tomahawk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had my second colonoscopy yesterday. With the first one, I drank the prep, which was horrible, causing nausea, bloating, and cramping. This time around, I took the pills and I will never take the liquid prep again. It was a breeze. No cramping, bloating, nausea – nothing. The only problem with the pills is that they are expensive, but for the ease and convenience, I will pay it. I was knocked out for the procedure and felt nothing. One minute I was in the prep room being wheeled into the surgery room and the next, I was in recovery. No memory at all. I did have some bloating yesterday and also today, but it's not bad. All in all, my experience was tolerable mostly due to the pills. Before this procedure, I was diagnosed with Crohn's through a CT scan, but the doctor found no evidence of Crohn's after the colonoscopy. He did find two polyps which were removed. Thank goodness. Don't delay.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I just went for my second colonoscopy last week. I had one 5 years ago. The preparation is definitely worse than the test. The preparation is not that awful except for the fact that you cannot eat solid foods all day the day before the test and you can only drink fluids, Jell-O (not red) and then between 3 pm and 5 pm you have to drink 64 oz. of Gatorade with 238 grams of MiraLax dissolved in it. You live in the bathroom for a while then it slows down. The test is nothing. I had two great test experiences, sedated for both of them. When I woke up I didn't remember anything. It is worth it all in the prevention of colon cancer.

Comment from: caligal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I did the liquid diet for the colonoscopy preparation. I followed every instruction, until I didn't realize I could not drink anything red. I made a mistake and drank red gatorade, this is my first time. I still have to drink 10 oz of magnesium citrate (laxative) in the early morning. Also, I've been drinking a lot of water. I hope the procedure goes okay, I would just cry if I have to do this again.

Comment from: farmgirl76, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I was given Gavilite (gallon size bottle) with a lemon packet for my colonoscopy. Skipped the packet and mixed the powder with all Gatorade Tropical Blend. No problem taking the liquid at all. It was a lot of liquid, and then 4 dulcolax tablets after the liquid. However, had a liquid diet the day I started the prep, as well as a light diet the prior day. Things went very smoothly. Prep liquid had no bad or bitter or after taste. But I think the Tropical Blend was the answer. This was the easiest prep I have had (I have done this twice before) as far as flavor goes. I did make certain it was good and cold. At first I put it into a glass with ice cubes. That took too long to drink. Since it was really cold, I could just drink it down. And, once again, the flavor made the difference. It's never pleasant having to drink that much liquid, especially when you are not one to drink a lot of liquid anyway, but it was certainly more palatable than anything else I have had recently. Try it. You just might like it. Oh, and the way I settled on the flavor by buying three different flavors of Gatorade, taking them home, and trying each flavor. When I decided on one, I bought 4 qt. size bottles and mixed it in the bottle with the powder and put it on the top shelf of the refrigerator. Must say that there was very little change in the flavor with the mixture than when the Gatorade was straight out of the bottle.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.