Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: trkaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have just returned from my colonoscopy, the second one I have ever had. The most pain I felt was the IV needle prick. I was very anxious about the prep and obsessed on how to best handle it for the past week. Having had an awful experience years ago with a warm, salty mix that I had to take I was fearful. I put myself on a low residue diet 3 days prior to this test, and did not eat any meat or fish. A liquid diet on prep day was easy. I mixed my Miralax with two different bottles/flavors of Gatorade as directed. I took my Ducolax and waited. I had no results until I started the Miralax. I found freezing paper cups until slushy gave me an option to use a spoon when drinking was getting tiresome. I sucked on Jolly Ranchers if I felt queasy. I did not have awful stomach cramps. The process took 3 hours to start and didn't stop (enough to sleep for another 6 hours). I still had to use the bathroom before my 8 am procedure. Use diaper cream before you start, baby wipes, and soft toilet paper. You will be fine and it will be over. Good hydration on prep day seemed to prevent a headache, and being a migraine sufferer that is essential.

Comment from: pennycat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had my first colonoscopy recently, at age 51. The preparation was not pleasant, mostly due to the liquid diet the day before, and the horrible tasting stuff you have to drink. I found that holding one's nose while drinking it helps. Just push yourself through it! I didn't suffer any cramps. The procedure itself, for me, was painless. I had three polyps removed, but no aftereffects, except one strange one, amnesia! According to my husband, I woke up in the recovery room and chatted with him, and was very polite to the staff. He helped me dress, and drove me home. I have no memory of any of it! Pretty weird, but sort of funny, too. Now that I've been through it, I won't be so nervous the second time. My condolences to anyone who has had a bad experience, however.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had my first colonoscopy today. I was a wreck the entire week, for absolutely nothing. The preparation was a breeze (Prepopik), fantastic. I was sedated with propofol and anti-nausea medication. It was done in 20 minutes and on my way home 30 minutes post procedure. I slept most of the day and drank lots of water. Don't let others' experiences frighten you, not everyone is the same. Key is a good gastroenterologist. Good luck!

Comment from: wilbur50, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Well, I'm at that magical age of 50. I've been having lower left quadrant pain for 3 years, plus pain and losing weight all at the same time. Three years ago I saw a gastroenterologist and he said that I wasn't old enough yet to get this exam done. I was reading then that if you have these symptoms that they automatically do the scope. I couldn't tell them anything. So after years of pain and bloating and losing weight I got tired of it and saw a gastroenterologist here where I live. Well, they are going to do colonoscopy plus do another scope down my throat. Well I start my preparation this Sunday, 4 tablets of the Duralax and 64 oz. of that powder. I'm a little scared as my sister had this done and she woke up during this, of course they knocked her back out but she remembered. I will get back to you all after Monday.

Comment from: Browniequeen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just finished taking 2 Dulcolax and 64 ounces of G2 orange Gatorade. Tips - use straw, make it cold so no taste, but just feel full. So I walked lots and it makes it better waiting for it to hit! Good luck, this is so much better than last preparation for colonoscopy.

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I prepped for the colonoscopy starting at 3 o' clock in the afternoon. I started with four Dulcolax pills. At 5 I started drinking the Gatorade with Miralax. By 7 I was having cold sweats so bad I couldn't sit on the toilet. I did that 3 different times. I just had to lay in the floor, cover up with towels until it passed. I wished I could die! I hope I never have to go through this again!

Comment from: realwoozie, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my first colonoscopy done. I of course was petrified. Three days before preparation started, I ate very light. By the day of prep it was not bad at all. If you eat light, the prep is very gentle to your system.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.