Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: HuskerLiz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I very much appreciate all who posted before my procedure. I found the encouragement invaluable and some of the tips made the pre-prep much easier to take. My younger sister was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer this summer, so all of us siblings have either gone through or scheduled for the colonoscopy. Summary of what worked well for me: (1) preparing the "gunk" 3-4 hours prior to needing it and refrigerating it so that it was very cold. (2) pouring it in a cup with a lid with a hole for a straw to prevent my smelling the solution as I drank it. (3) putting the straw as far back on my tongue as possible without gagging to prevent the solution from hitting my taste buds and slurp as much as possible in each gulp. I won't say that it was pleasant, but it was much more tolerable than the last time I did this many years ago. AND STAY CLOSE TO THE BATHROOM FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER DRINKING IT. You have very little warning, but if you feel the slightest urge for a bowel movement, don't wait! My result was well worth it: only 1 polyp which was removed. So the relief and ease of mind for me, my family, and especially my mother, was well worth it.

Comment from: tu09, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I just had my colonoscopy done today. The absolute worst part was the prep, and the best way to deal with it is energy drinks. The solution they make you drink is disgusting, but believe me when I say it works as noted, even if you have nothing in your system it will work. Big advice is to not use the flavor packs, as I found the flavors made me nauseous. The procedure went as described, I was put to sleep woke up, and it was all over. I had a few biopsies taken and am currently dealing with tons of bloating, constipation and light bleeding. It's sad to read some of these horror stories, but believe me when I say it's not that bad and the prep really is the worst part.

Comment from: Admiral, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

The worst part of the preparation for colonoscopy was drinking what tasted to me like badly flavored cough syrup. I don't understand why we can send someone to the moon but not make that stuff palatable.

Comment from: Swampdweller, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I fractured my ankle during my preparation for colonoscopy. After sitting on the throne for a very long time, my left foot went to sleep. Not realizing this, when I stood up I twisted my ankle. It was very painful, but because of my ongoing preparation I couldn"t seek medical assistance. Today after my colonoscopy I went to an orthopedic doctor and came away with the diagnosis of a fractured ankle.

Comment from: feathers, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

As everyone says, the preparation is rough. I did mess up though, I drank a bouillon cube that was not "clear". It made the procedure a little more difficult for the doctor. It may seem hard to believe, but the procedure was actually a breeze, almost pleasant. It was a very good team, and I just got a good nap out of it, no side effects at all.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had my second colonoscopy 10 days ago. I made sure the prep is cold, drank it with a straw and I kept a hard lemon candy in my mouth the whole time I was drinking it. It made a huge difference. The IV was not great as she had trouble finding the vein but all in all they did find a rather large polyp which is now gone.

Comment from: Mickeyfin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

It is 6:30 am. I prepped last evening and this morning, not so bad but this is my 5th colonoscopy, having a family history of CC. Best thing I did was to have low volume food for several days. I drank protein drinks until yesterday, when I drank clear liquids. I lost a couple of lbs. I am having propofol instead of Versed, which requires an anesthesiologist. I hate Versed, as I have had pain during one procedure and bad dreams after another, plus longer recovery. I may have to pay extra for the anesthesiologist. Colon cancer is a potentially fatal disease and so easy to prevent with polyp removal, so this process is all worth it.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.