Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had my first colonoscopy today. I was a wreck the entire week, for absolutely nothing. The preparation was a breeze (Prepopik), fantastic. I was sedated with propofol and anti-nausea medication. It was done in 20 minutes and on my way home 30 minutes post procedure. I slept most of the day and drank lots of water. Don't let others' experiences frighten you, not everyone is the same. Key is a good gastroenterologist. Good luck!

Comment from: wilbur50, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Well, I'm at that magical age of 50. I've been having lower left quadrant pain for 3 years, plus pain and losing weight all at the same time. Three years ago I saw a gastroenterologist and he said that I wasn't old enough yet to get this exam done. I was reading then that if you have these symptoms that they automatically do the scope. I couldn't tell them anything. So after years of pain and bloating and losing weight I got tired of it and saw a gastroenterologist here where I live. Well, they are going to do colonoscopy plus do another scope down my throat. Well I start my preparation this Sunday, 4 tablets of the Duralax and 64 oz. of that powder. I'm a little scared as my sister had this done and she woke up during this, of course they knocked her back out but she remembered. I will get back to you all after Monday.

Comment from: Browniequeen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just finished taking 2 Dulcolax and 64 ounces of G2 orange Gatorade. Tips - use straw, make it cold so no taste, but just feel full. So I walked lots and it makes it better waiting for it to hit! Good luck, this is so much better than last preparation for colonoscopy.

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I prepped for the colonoscopy starting at 3 o' clock in the afternoon. I started with four Dulcolax pills. At 5 I started drinking the Gatorade with Miralax. By 7 I was having cold sweats so bad I couldn't sit on the toilet. I did that 3 different times. I just had to lay in the floor, cover up with towels until it passed. I wished I could die! I hope I never have to go through this again!

Comment from: realwoozie, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my first colonoscopy done. I of course was petrified. Three days before preparation started, I ate very light. By the day of prep it was not bad at all. If you eat light, the prep is very gentle to your system.

Comment from: CJC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had my first-ever colonoscopy for screening in April of 2013. I must say that the worst thing about it (besides the magnesium citrate prep) was reading all the horror stories, along with the anxiety and fear they caused, on various websites for a week before the procedure. I nearly cancelled my appointment because of all the terrible stories. I showed up at the surgi-center very scared and nervous, but the nurses were very understanding and kind. They even injected something to numb the site on my hand for the IV. I admitted to the nurses and the doctor that I am a big baby and did not want to be awake or aware of anything and that I had read all sorts of horror stories. After getting me into position for the procedure, I heard the doctor tell the nurse to "give her 25 and 5.” I watched her put the meds into my IV, closed my eyes and thought "if I close my eyes they will think I am out already," so I opened my eyes back up. The doctor looked at me and told the nurse to give me another “25 and 5.” And that's all I remember until I woke up in recovery. No pain and no problems. I don't have to have another one for 10 years. So, the best advice I can give is to stick with the better-known medical websites for advice, and to let your nurses and doctor know of your fears and concerns. And don't close your eyes until the meds do it for you.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

Instead of mixing the prep solution all at once. We made a fresh glass each time. Thus, instead of making 64 ounces of the liquid at once. We made 8 ounces. 8 different times. In a fresh glass with fresh ice cubes and fresh, chilled water. We could have changed the liquid each time, but chose to stick with Gatorade. Perhaps the result was all psychological, but that's no small thing in this process. Instead of staring at 64 ounces, sitting in a big pitcher. We started afresh with each glass. The doctor had no problem with our method and the solution worked just as it was supposed to.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.