Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Kimberly A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had my colonoscopy this morning. Although I was not looking forward to the prep, it was relatively easy. I had no solid foods the day before, only green jello, chicken broth and lots of liquid. The last time I had a colonoscopy I did not drink enough fluids and was dehydrated. My prep consisted of 2 Dulcolax pills at 2pm, followed by the 238mg Miralax mixture in 64 ounces of orange Gatorade starting at 4pm. You drink 8 ozs of this every 10-15mins. I started to feel the effects midway through. Right before my last cup, I vomited half of the mixture, so had to have my SO get more Miralax and a 32 oz bottle of Gatorade. I tolerated it better this time. At 8pm I had to take the second dose of 2 Dulcolax pills. This whole process involved very little cramping, but I was in the bathroom all night long. Had my colonoscopy at 7:30am this morning and all is fine. I slept through the whole thing. The hardest part of today's procedure is the IV they stick in your hand. Not so pleasant. I'm glad it's over. While it's not fun, it is a necessary precaution. And the prep was MUCH better than the one I had 7 years ago.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was to take a solution that dissolves in a liquid for two weeks prior twice a day. After a few days I started to get sick after every meal with constant stomach aches. I started two days before with 2 Dulcolax and had severe cramping 5 hours later. I was supposed to take 2 more the day before but didn't due to the last experience. The night before and right now (it's in 6 hours) I'm doing the drinking prep with the dissolving solution every 15 minutes. The day before was clear fluids. I was surprised at what I could drink for clear fluids. I'm still hungry though. I will also take 2 chewable pills.

Comment from: HuskerLiz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I very much appreciate all who posted before my procedure. I found the encouragement invaluable and some of the tips made the pre-prep much easier to take. My younger sister was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer this summer, so all of us siblings have either gone through or scheduled for the colonoscopy. Summary of what worked well for me: (1) preparing the "gunk" 3-4 hours prior to needing it and refrigerating it so that it was very cold. (2) pouring it in a cup with a lid with a hole for a straw to prevent my smelling the solution as I drank it. (3) putting the straw as far back on my tongue as possible without gagging to prevent the solution from hitting my taste buds and slurp as much as possible in each gulp. I won't say that it was pleasant, but it was much more tolerable than the last time I did this many years ago. AND STAY CLOSE TO THE BATHROOM FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER DRINKING IT. You have very little warning, but if you feel the slightest urge for a bowel movement, don't wait! My result was well worth it: only 1 polyp which was removed. So the relief and ease of mind for me, my family, and especially my mother, was well worth it.

Comment from: tu09, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I just had my colonoscopy done today. The absolute worst part was the prep, and the best way to deal with it is energy drinks. The solution they make you drink is disgusting, but believe me when I say it works as noted, even if you have nothing in your system it will work. Big advice is to not use the flavor packs, as I found the flavors made me nauseous. The procedure went as described, I was put to sleep woke up, and it was all over. I had a few biopsies taken and am currently dealing with tons of bloating, constipation and light bleeding. It's sad to read some of these horror stories, but believe me when I say it's not that bad and the prep really is the worst part.

Comment from: feathers, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

As everyone says, the preparation is rough. I did mess up though, I drank a bouillon cube that was not "clear". It made the procedure a little more difficult for the doctor. It may seem hard to believe, but the procedure was actually a breeze, almost pleasant. It was a very good team, and I just got a good nap out of it, no side effects at all.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had my second colonoscopy 10 days ago. I made sure the prep is cold, drank it with a straw and I kept a hard lemon candy in my mouth the whole time I was drinking it. It made a huge difference. The IV was not great as she had trouble finding the vein but all in all they did find a rather large polyp which is now gone.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.