Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I prepped for the colonoscopy starting at 3 o' clock in the afternoon. I started with four Dulcolax pills. At 5 I started drinking the Gatorade with Miralax. By 7 I was having cold sweats so bad I couldn't sit on the toilet. I did that 3 different times. I just had to lay in the floor, cover up with towels until it passed. I wished I could die! I hope I never have to go through this again!

Comment from: realwoozie, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my first colonoscopy done. I of course was petrified. Three days before preparation started, I ate very light. By the day of prep it was not bad at all. If you eat light, the prep is very gentle to your system.

Comment from: trkaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have just returned from my colonoscopy, the second one I have ever had. The most pain I felt was the IV needle prick. I was very anxious about the prep and obsessed on how to best handle it for the past week. Having had an awful experience years ago with a warm, salty mix that I had to take I was fearful. I put myself on a low residue diet 3 days prior to this test, and did not eat any meat or fish. A liquid diet on prep day was easy. I mixed my Miralax with two different bottles/flavors of Gatorade as directed. I took my Ducolax and waited. I had no results until I started the Miralax. I found freezing paper cups until slushy gave me an option to use a spoon when drinking was getting tiresome. I sucked on Jolly Ranchers if I felt queasy. I did not have awful stomach cramps. The process took 3 hours to start and didn't stop (enough to sleep for another 6 hours). I still had to use the bathroom before my 8 am procedure. Use diaper cream before you start, baby wipes, and soft toilet paper. You will be fine and it will be over. Good hydration on prep day seemed to prevent a headache, and being a migraine sufferer that is essential.

Comment from: CJC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had my first-ever colonoscopy for screening in April of 2013. I must say that the worst thing about it (besides the magnesium citrate prep) was reading all the horror stories, along with the anxiety and fear they caused, on various websites for a week before the procedure. I nearly cancelled my appointment because of all the terrible stories. I showed up at the surgi-center very scared and nervous, but the nurses were very understanding and kind. They even injected something to numb the site on my hand for the IV. I admitted to the nurses and the doctor that I am a big baby and did not want to be awake or aware of anything and that I had read all sorts of horror stories. After getting me into position for the procedure, I heard the doctor tell the nurse to "give her 25 and 5.” I watched her put the meds into my IV, closed my eyes and thought "if I close my eyes they will think I am out already," so I opened my eyes back up. The doctor looked at me and told the nurse to give me another “25 and 5.” And that's all I remember until I woke up in recovery. No pain and no problems. I don't have to have another one for 10 years. So, the best advice I can give is to stick with the better-known medical websites for advice, and to let your nurses and doctor know of your fears and concerns. And don't close your eyes until the meds do it for you.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 06

Instead of mixing the prep solution all at once. We made a fresh glass each time. Thus, instead of making 64 ounces of the liquid at once. We made 8 ounces. 8 different times. In a fresh glass with fresh ice cubes and fresh, chilled water. We could have changed the liquid each time, but chose to stick with Gatorade. Perhaps the result was all psychological, but that's no small thing in this process. Instead of staring at 64 ounces, sitting in a big pitcher. We started afresh with each glass. The doctor had no problem with our method and the solution worked just as it was supposed to.

Comment from: cjbcheer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am going through the prep part right now (11-2-11). I have taken 4 ducolax laxatives and as soon as i had a bowel movement i started drinking the go lightly mix the doc prescribed. I am 3/4th done with it and WOW it sure is working! About halfway way through the gallon I have to drink I vomited because no one told me I shouldn't have eaten this morning. I would have to say though it doesn't taste that bad, just like water with a little salt flavor but if you drink it fast it's not bad and the best part is that i have no stomach pain or cramps like i thought i would. Hopefully everything goes well tomorrow.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.