Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Melinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 46 years old and going for my first colonoscopy in the morning at 8:15. I'm doing the preparation as I type. This stuff is nasty but I'm worried about pain or being put under. I'm doing this because my brother passed from colon cancer two years ago at age 44.

Comment from: Jackie704, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I recently had a colonoscopy. I am a 66 year old woman. I had severe constipation problems when I was younger. At the age of 25 years old, one night I ended up in the emergency hospital with impacted bowels. After that I underwent a barium enema test and a proctoscopy test. The results of the proctoscopy was that I had more footage of intestines than a normal person. To prepare for my colonoscopy I received a prescription, a 4 liter empty plastic container which contained TriLyte which had to be mixed with water the day before. I was instructed to begin drinking 8 ounces of this liquid beginning at 6:00 pm the night before every 15 minutes. I alternated the instructions, I began drinking at 11:00 am that morning and consumed 8 ounces every hour and I also drank in between ten ounce bottles of magnesium citrate. I also in between drank cups of plain water. My bowels started moving at 5:00 pm. I was glad I started ahead of time. I could not imagine drinking that horrible liquid every 15 minutes. My colonoscopy went fine. I was cleaned out and it was a relief to get it over with.

Comment from: BRIGHTSPARK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had colonoscopy last Saturday. The preparation solution was the worst; 2 liters to drink of a lemony solution but I got it down. Going to the loo constantly to empty bowel was hard and I had a sore anus (sorry). I developed bad migraine and felt sick due to lack of water and food before the operation so was getting very stressed out. I was waiting in my gown for two hours with migraine. Eventually they did it. I was sedated, was conscience of people talking and the tube going in which did not hurt. All I remember is them saying it was finished after that and having a big crampy feeling in my abdomen and a load of gas afterwards. I was aware of being wheeled back into recovery room where I was promptly sick after trying to eat a bit of toast. I believe this was due to getting stressed before and them giving me paracetamol. However, with sedation the procedure was very quick and didn't hurt. I am surprised if people have been sedated and are saying they were in agony.

Comment from: frank, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was fishing in Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia and got stung by a stingray in my left ankle. The barb went in about 2 inches and initially I thought it was a shark. There was heaps of blood so I got out of the water as soon as possible. It took about ten minutes to get back to camp and while boiling the Billy the pain was unlike any I ever had experienced. But as soon as I put my foot into hot water it eased. After about an hour I removed my foot from bucket and had a shave (fresh water was scarce so thought I would use it). Four days later we went into town and saw the doctor. They gave me antibiotics in a drip and next morning I drove home. I got there late and had more antibiotics in a drip. I had a week of pills since and they run out tomorrow. The wound is getting bigger and a little painful so will go back to the doctor in the morning. We'll see what happens.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I read somewhere on the web that I could eat gummy bears before the colonoscopy exam because they digest. Wrong! I watched the screen and was awake during the exam and saw the little tiny yellow specks in my colon that the doctor had to wash away with water. I used a straw and had the liquid ice cold when I drank it for preparation. Keep the straw way back behind the taste buds. It was easy. One good news is at 52 they found no polyps. Good Luck with your test!

Comment from: Alyssa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was at my boyfriend's house and stepped on a piece of plastic that had two industrial size staples through it and it went about a half inch into my heel and caused the puncture wound.

Comment from: dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

The worst part of colonoscopy is the preparation beforehand. You have to take two liters of Miralax mix and water; you feel sick but if you tolerate it, it is not too bad. The day of the procedure I was nervous but when you have the sedation it is ok. You don't know when they insert the camera or when they are finished, I must have dozed off half way through but kept looking at the camera. You feel sleepy after, but wait in recovery for 30 minutes and then you are ok. You then have toast and tea, and wait for your lift home. All in all I am glad it's over.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.