Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Comment from: Never again!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I had an allergic reaction to the prep and they were not able to do the colonoscopy. The prep involved consuming 238g of Miralax dissolved in 64 ounces of Gatorade at the rate of 8oz every 15 minutes. What they don't tell you is that some people can have an allergic reaction to this drug, especially taken in such a large quantity. Probably most of us have never used Miralax and certainly not that much at one time, so we don't realize the risk until it is too late. I didn't. Nor did I realize that the polyethylene glycol used in this drug is used in many other products I am allergic to.

Comment from: MEF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

With a family history of CC (colon cancer), I had my 7th colonoscopy yesterday. My first one was with medication, and all the rest without. I have a very long colon so they have to manipulate my stomach at times to get the extra length needed to see the entire colon. However, it is not nearly as painful as I am reading. I am there 1/2 hour before, about 45 minutes for the procedure, in particular when removing polyps, then I dress, talk to the doctor and drive home. Pico-Salax is the easiest prep and if you eat carefully starting two days before the procedure and drink liquids, including Boost type products the day before, even the preparation is relatively painless. My understanding is that 98% of British people have a colonoscopy without medication. Once I read that, I decided to try it as well. If you do it without medication, you will never go back to IVs, nausea, not knowing what is going on, and needing to be driven around. The pain is not excruciating. So you groan a bit once in a while.

Comment from: Bekah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I used Suprep in preparation for my colonoscopy. I found it easiest to tolerate using very cold water and a straw. I'm just glad there wasn't a whole gallon of it to drink, just 16 oz. The things I got to make the prep more pleasant are: Depends (they were a godsend as they keep any accidents you might have less messy than if you didn't have them), flushable wet wipes (so much less irritating than toilet paper), Boudreaux's butt paste (to apply before starting my prep and after every BM (bowel movement), it kept me from getting sore). I also stopped eating meat five days before my procedure, I stuck to eating soft, easily digested food, which meant less to purge from your bowels. The actual colonoscopy was a breeze, the prep was unpleasant, but not unbearable.

Comment from: trkaren, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have just returned from my colonoscopy, the second one I have ever had. The most pain I felt was the IV needle prick. I was very anxious about the prep and obsessed on how to best handle it for the past week. Having had an awful experience years ago with a warm, salty mix that I had to take I was fearful. I put myself on a low residue diet 3 days prior to this test, and did not eat any meat or fish. A liquid diet on prep day was easy. I mixed my Miralax with two different bottles/flavors of Gatorade as directed. I took my Ducolax and waited. I had no results until I started the Miralax. I found freezing paper cups until slushy gave me an option to use a spoon when drinking was getting tiresome. I sucked on Jolly Ranchers if I felt queasy. I did not have awful stomach cramps. The process took 3 hours to start and didn't stop (enough to sleep for another 6 hours). I still had to use the bathroom before my 8 am procedure. Use diaper cream before you start, baby wipes, and soft toilet paper. You will be fine and it will be over. Good hydration on prep day seemed to prevent a headache, and being a migraine sufferer that is essential.

Comment from: wilbur50, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

Well, I'm at that magical age of 50. I've been having lower left quadrant pain for 3 years, plus pain and losing weight all at the same time. Three years ago I saw a gastroenterologist and he said that I wasn't old enough yet to get this exam done. I was reading then that if you have these symptoms that they automatically do the scope. I couldn't tell them anything. So after years of pain and bloating and losing weight I got tired of it and saw a gastroenterologist here where I live. Well, they are going to do colonoscopy plus do another scope down my throat. Well I start my preparation this Sunday, 4 tablets of the Duralax and 64 oz. of that powder. I'm a little scared as my sister had this done and she woke up during this, of course they knocked her back out but she remembered. I will get back to you all after Monday.

Comment from: Browniequeen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just finished taking 2 Dulcolax and 64 ounces of G2 orange Gatorade. Tips - use straw, make it cold so no taste, but just feel full. So I walked lots and it makes it better waiting for it to hit! Good luck, this is so much better than last preparation for colonoscopy.

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.