Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Please don't be worried about your colonoscopy, I had mine 6 days ago and I was really nervous. It was nothing at all, I didn't want sedation, only pain relief which was wonderful. I never even noticed they had inserted the camera tube till I saw it on the screen, was in and out in ten minutes, having coffee and toast. It was totally pain free, don't worry yourself, it was fine.

Comment from: HealthyMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am fifty years old and I had my first colonoscopy today. Everyone said drinking the GoLytely was the worst part and that the procedure itself would be painless and the drugs would cause you not to remember any of it even though you"re not asleep; false on all accounts. The GoLytely wasn"t that bad. I mixed Crystal Light with it and had it very cold. Use a straw - that helps it pass most of the taste buds. The procedure itself was painful. I screamed, was crying and about flew off the table at one point. They gave me more drugs, which ended up putting me out but I do remember everything. I will never have another - the whole experience was degrading, embarrassing, and humiliating besides.

Comment from: pain management, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Here"s some advice. When the doctor asks if you are getting sleepy and you say "no", that should be a red flag. The IV missed the vein and the sedative didn"t work, but he started anyway. Never experienced such pain in my life. It took a while before they got me properly sedated. I could not believe how 'not' gentle the doctor was. Just shoving stuff up there like it"s a turkey being stuffed on Thanksgiving. Next time I"ll scream "no" if it"s not working.

Comment from: lollygirl52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I feel so sorry for those that had a painful experience. I have had two now, the last one being yesterday. The prep is never good for me because I can"t drink volumes of anything. I don"t like Gatorade either. I mixed mine with Miralax as directed. Earlier in the day I had chicken broth. I"d rather have salty than sweet. During the last 32 oz of the Gatorade mixture, I put a tiny bit of salt on my tongue, because then it felt like I was drinking after a pretzel or chip (without actually eating anything). I also had the Dulcolax tablets, 2 at 3 pm and 2 at 7 pm. It took a while before it all worked but in the evening I had the required results. In the morning I only rinsed my mouth after brushing my teeth, which helped. The staff at the hospital was great. The sedative in the IV worked pretty fast. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. I was pretty groggy so I know why they need you to bring a driver to get you home. I had no food for 40 hours, but I was more tired than hungry when I got home. I had a small piece of a cracker and some water and went to bed for a few hours. It is a pretty easy procedure except for the fasting and Gatorade preparation, but it is one day out of your life that can actually save a life. So it"s a no-brainer. Take the test... save your life.

Comment from: Roll11tide, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a colonoscopy today. The doctor told me how things would go. He gave me some type of drug in my IV. I went out and half way through the procedure I woke up and all I saw was the colon TV screen, it totally freaked me out. I was so awake I remember him pointing at my IV and snapping his fingers and saying give him 250 more mgs. After that I was out cold. I finally woke up and according to my wife I was saying some crazy things. Only 20 minutes after I woke up, I was wide awake no hangover drug effect. I only feel just a little soreness in my lower abdominal region. The operation went smooth. The first night I took all of the liquid flush, it didn"t work so I had to reschedule. The doctor ordered me a different flush and by the time that was gone I was in miserable pain on the toilet for about 18 hours. The doctor said I still wasn"t all the way clean, weird. After no food for 3 days my blood pressure was 99 over 59 really low. After the procedure I ate and ate I"m just glad it"s over. It"s not as bad as you would think. The procedure took only 45 minutes and 30 minutes of recovery which I did not need.

Comment from: jengelbells78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I"m 35 and tomorrow is my first colonoscopy as well as EGD. My preparation was today, using Gavilyte. I really wish I was told to start this sooner than what they told me. I did end up starting it two hours before I was told and I am glad I did, but still think it would have been better if I started even earlier. The original time was 5 pm and 5 am the day of procedure. But then on the instructions it says nothing by mouth, including liquids 5 hours before the procedure. Anyway, it"s 9 pm and I"m just barely at the "yellow" point. The Gavilyte is so nasty. A lemon packet came with it that made it a little bit more tolerable, along with putting an ice cube in it and drinking through a straw. I'm not sure how much more I can take. I hope I"m cleaned out enough for this to happen.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?