Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: NikChic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had a colonoscopy today and went for the sedation as I thought no point in being tough. It took two attempts to get the needle in though! You have the blood pressure tests, mine was high, and I told the nurse it was the questions about next of kin got me worried! They also asked if I had ever had mad cow disease, but no. The procedure was as uncomfortable as having bad trapped wind, I was told to pass it but although it pops out at inappropriate times, it was going nowhere this time. I think the doctor wiggled the tube and it fell out! The only bit I felt was the air and at the entry point although by the time it was over, I felt like the Michelin man, and a few trips to the loo to have a blast helped a lot. I will have to go through another session as they found a naughty dangly bit which has to be removed, I am not looking forward to the MoviPrep, ghastly stuff. It all took about 2 hours, the whole visit.

Comment from: Pizza Guy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had colonoscopy performed several times in the past. This most recent procedure has left me with a bloated feeling after eating when I have not had much to eat. The procedure was performed in the past two weeks.

Comment from: Anne H., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have just had a colonoscopy and would like to reassure anyone waiting to have one, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. You cannot eat for about 26 to 28 hours so be prepared for this. Consomme soup is okay but is very hard to get hold of. I had a sedative, but very mild and didn't feel a thing. The nurses stay with you all the time and talk to you. The MoviPrep you are given to drink, is okay, like thin water, stay near the loo! I wasn't drowsy at all. You get your results straight away which saves all the worry. If they send biopsies away, don't worry, it is for inflammation purposes. I had a sore tummy for about 5 days after. But all worth having it done.

Comment from: kaliforniadrem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I just like to say that my experience with a colonoscopy was horrific. The preparation was inconvenient. My issue was the procedure. I woke up during the procedure and kept yelling at the doctor during the session that it was painful. He kept telling me that it was almost over. It wasn't. They refused to give me any medication and caused me to suffer through the end of the procedure. I asked if it was medically necessary to stop the pain medication and they would not confirm this. My goal is to tell you to check with your doctor and find out more about what medication they are using and what happens if you wake up during it.

Comment from: Lake Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had my second colonoscopy today. The first was 10 years ago, and showed no polyps, but a little diverticulosis. This was the suggested 10 year exam, and was all clear. The preparation was no picnic. I took 4 Dulcolax with water, and later 64 oz Gatorade with a 328 gm bottle of Miralax dissolved in it. Another 32 oz taken last night, 8 oz at 15 minute intervals, and the rest this morning, also at 15 minute intervals. Chicken and beef broth, Jell-O and ginger ale were the extent of my food. As the bowels began to clear, it rapidly became liquid that made its exit on its own schedule. My advice is to sit on the toilet for about 6 to 8 hours if you don't want to be doing some unpleasant cleanup! After the first few times, switch to a spray bottle of water instead of toilet paper, or you will quickly get a raw backside. Something that has happened this time that did not happen the first time is, since I have gotten home, I have had several incidents of the escaping liquid, including some of the 'stuff' that I had assumed was all cleared out. I am hoping that this was all hiding in my small intestine, and only came through the large intestine after the colonoscopy. I followed the prep instructions exactly, by the way.

Comment from: Paul R., Male (Caregiver) Published: January 17

The procedure of colonoscopy is performed on an outpatient basis. During the procedure, an intravenous anesthesia is given to patient for sedation. A colonoscope is inserted through anus and gently passes through the colon. If a polyp is detected in the inner lining of colon then it can be removed using different instruments with the scope. Biopsy is also performed during colonoscopy, in which a tissue sample is taken for microscopic examination. The tiny camera on the tip of scope sends images on the monitor which helps the doctor to view the inside of colon. The procedure usually takes 30 minutes.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?