Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Vern, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I just came back from my colonoscopy. The staff were all helpful and very nice. I was obviously nervous after the mixture was so awful, that had to be drunk over the last couple days and thought the procedure could only be painful. I could not believe when it was over and how quickly. Not painful at all, the solution to prepare was worse.

Comment from: Natural believer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a screening colonoscopy on Tuesday morning. I used a new preparation called Suprep, which costs USD 120.00. It is 8 oz. that you mix with 16 oz., drink, and then drink 2 more 16 oz. cups of plain water within 2 hours. Sure did work! You do it again the next morning 4 hours before your appointment. I have 4 words for this entire prep; projectile anal liquid release. The test was done under propofol, so I have no memory and had no pain. Or if I did I don't remember! Unfortunately, I had 6 benign polyps taken, one of the pre-cancerous variety, and they installed 3 instinct endoscopic hemoclips. I was given a diet for a week consisting of very few foods that I can eat. I am a 5 ft. 7, 135 lb. non-insulin dependent diabetic with a less than 6 A1C. I work very carefully for this range and refuse to eat white and mushy food. I am close to a raw food vegetarian. I could not eat their pasta, potato and white flour suggestions. Overcooked canned beets were the best I could do! I also must refrain from any painkillers for 2 weeks except the (worthless) Tylenol. I have had lower back pain since the minute I came to. Now it's Sunday afternoon, and their Tylenol therapy is still not helping. Apparently, my colon is still 'asleep' as well. They have suggested that I take the chemical Miralax for that. My body always knew what to do before this, with no problem at all. Very regular without ever a problem. I was constipated once in 1976. I am sorry I had this procedure done. We all have to die of something anyways. Living like this is not any picnic either! Will I ever have bowel movement again! They seem to think this is just fine.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have just had a colonoscopy, two days ago. The pain was excruciating. I don't know what kind of sedation they gave me, but whatever it was, it didn't work. He stopped eventually when the nurse asked me if I wanted it to stop and I said yes. He just said 'x-ray' and left. The whole thing left me tearful and demeaned. Now I am angry.

Comment from: LN100, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have had several colonoscopies due to my ulcerative colitis and the last 3 have all been very easy. Ask for the Gatorade/Miralax preparation as it was the best one I have tried. I did the preparation last night and was doing things around the house the whole time. I had my colonoscopy this morning with a fast-acting drug (like propofol) at about 8:45 and was out and on my way to get breakfast by 10:30. I had no pain or memory of the procedure and just some gas now. Otherwise, a very easy procedure; most doctors have more than one choice of preparation, so ask if you want something different. The first time, I had to drink magnesium citrate and it was awful, so I asked for a different one and the Miralax mixed with a sports drink was much better and the electrolytes in the Gatorade/Propel will help keep your energy up. Good luck!

Comment from: Wasted Worries, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had my first colonoscopy a few weeks back and like everyone else I was nervous only to find that the worries were a waste of time. I chose not to be sedated and go with the pain medicines and it was pain free except for turning one corner and pumping air, when I felt a sharp cramping pain that only lasted a few seconds but very tolerable. As far as the preparation, well, I won't say it tasted ok as it didn't but in my own opinion it really wasn't all that bad. I used the chug-it-down method followed by sucking on a lemon and honestly it's not as bad as what some are saying. I hope this helps with any jitters for those of you facing your first colonoscopy. Nothing to get worked up about. Besides the peace of mind is well worth it.

Comment from: spiriritfilledlife, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am having getting ready to have my 2nd colonoscopy procedure. The first was good except for the preparation. I hear there will be something a little different this time, but I have to do it twice, which I regret. I can't get around the pre-prep. I did take in one pre-prep a friend has used where you just drink the little bottle and 5 glasses of water, but my doctor uses something that is 1 liter that I have to drink twice. The last time I did this, I found that using a straw really helped me get pass the taste. I could suck it down quickly also. So that's my suggestion to everyone. I will do another post after this procedure. A little nervous because when I called to make appointment I found out my regular doctor had died. I am using the doctor that was in the office with him and he has more practice than the past one. I did not get to meet him though because the practitioner met with me.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?