Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: nanno3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I found it way easier to prepare for colonoscopy; to fast (clear liquids ok but no solids) for three days prior. The preparation solution gave me hives as well as caused me to gag. I would rather just not eat (pretend I'm a movie star prepping for the Oscars!) than feel sick to my stomach. I still drank the nasty stuff but I didn't have to ingest as much. Check with your doctor first if this is ok for you. Also to cut the evil taste of Gatorade I drank sips of black coffee (bitter to counteract the sick sweetness) or sucked on mint/sour hard candies. A candle burning in the bathroom will also lessen the chances of throwing up and dilute the smells.

Comment from: Gilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Firstly I am in the U.K. I had my first colonoscopy in 2002 in a private hospital, well sedated, and it wasn't a problem at all, in fact all I remember is waking up when it was over. I went for another in December 2015 at local NHS (National Health Service) hospital. My goodness, the pain! They got as far as the second bend, and I was in agony. They used gas and air and some totally useless sedation. I went in today for a CT colonoscopy, no sedation at all, just vile medication since Sunday to clear me out and add a dye. This was nearly as painful as the colonoscopy, I asked them twice to stop it and they didn't. I'm now traumatized. I've given birth twice without any pain relief, so am no stranger to pain. But this was torture plain and simple. Hospitals need to look at sedation!

Comment from: Colonoscopy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I had my first colonoscopy today. My preparation was awful to say the least. Just so I don't discourage anyone from getting a colonoscopy I will skip the gross details but I will say to stay away from the Miralax prep. Ask your doctor to prescribe a different prep solution to take because I couldn't even finish my 2nd phase, it made me ill. But I have to say the screening was a breeze. All the nurses were excellent and it was all over pretty much before I realized it began.

Comment from: Sillydogruns, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 52, and two hours ago, I had a colonoscopy. I was nervous because it was my first time. The doctor used IV fentanyl and IV Versed to sedate me. I live in Canada and work in the medical field, so I knew what medicines they were going to use before the procedure. After they put the IV in, they put nasal prongs on with oxygen on me. They put the sedating medications in the IV. Lying on my side, I remember thinking 'I think I am starting to feel the sedatives kicking in', and then I woke up in recovery. They left what felt like a thin tube in my bowel exiting the rectum (which I could hardly feel) so that I could pass the air they filled my bowel with, silently, which I was thankful for, because there were other people in the recovery with me. After about an hour in recovery, they took the tube out, and I could not even feel it being taken out. I was refreshed and not groggy. My mind was clear. I felt great. I was told I had a normal colonoscopy. I will never be nervous to have this done again.

Comment from: NeverAgain, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a sigmoidoscopy at age 50. I did not have any sedation as I was told it was not necessary, so I went in with no apprehension. It was the worst. The doctor rammed that device where it had to be, and it was so bad. The nurse told me after that I should have been sedated. I only wish she had advocated for me during the procedure as I just squirmed all over. That doctor knew that if he would have medicated me that the procedure would have taken longer for the medicine to be effective. Needless to say, I haven't gone for any more scopes. If I die of colon cancer, it's that doctor's ruthless behavior at fault. I don't know what device he used, but my imagination tells me that he jammed a small rodent with sharp little claws up there and it spent a long time scurrying around and around until it found its way out. Never again!

Comment from: See you in 1o years, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had to drink Suprep at 5:00 followed by 16 oz. water and again at 11:30 followed by 16 oz. of water. The first glass went ok. The second glass I had nausea. I tried to drink all of it but could not. I thought I was going to throw up. Everything with the colonoscopy turned out ok.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?