Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: busy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and I was really dreading having it done. The worse bit was having to take the medicine powders to clear your bowels. I did not need to be sedated and chose Ethonox (gas and air). Slightly painful at times, but didn't last too long. Half hour later I was on my way home. If I did need to have another one again I would choose Ethonox again.

Comment from: jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Please don't be worried about your colonoscopy, I had mine 6 days ago and I was really nervous. It was nothing at all, I didn't want sedation, only pain relief which was wonderful. I never even noticed they had inserted the camera tube till I saw it on the screen, was in and out in ten minutes, having coffee and toast. It was totally pain free, don't worry yourself, it was fine.

Comment from: HealthyMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am fifty years old and I had my first colonoscopy today. Everyone said drinking the GoLytely was the worst part and that the procedure itself would be painless and the drugs would cause you not to remember any of it even though you"re not asleep; false on all accounts. The GoLytely wasn"t that bad. I mixed Crystal Light with it and had it very cold. Use a straw - that helps it pass most of the taste buds. The procedure itself was painful. I screamed, was crying and about flew off the table at one point. They gave me more drugs, which ended up putting me out but I do remember everything. I will never have another - the whole experience was degrading, embarrassing, and humiliating besides.

Comment from: pain management, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Here"s some advice. When the doctor asks if you are getting sleepy and you say "no", that should be a red flag. The IV missed the vein and the sedative didn"t work, but he started anyway. Never experienced such pain in my life. It took a while before they got me properly sedated. I could not believe how 'not' gentle the doctor was. Just shoving stuff up there like it"s a turkey being stuffed on Thanksgiving. Next time I"ll scream "no" if it"s not working.

Comment from: lollygirl52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I feel so sorry for those that had a painful experience. I have had two now, the last one being yesterday. The prep is never good for me because I can"t drink volumes of anything. I don"t like Gatorade either. I mixed mine with Miralax as directed. Earlier in the day I had chicken broth. I"d rather have salty than sweet. During the last 32 oz of the Gatorade mixture, I put a tiny bit of salt on my tongue, because then it felt like I was drinking after a pretzel or chip (without actually eating anything). I also had the Dulcolax tablets, 2 at 3 pm and 2 at 7 pm. It took a while before it all worked but in the evening I had the required results. In the morning I only rinsed my mouth after brushing my teeth, which helped. The staff at the hospital was great. The sedative in the IV worked pretty fast. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. I was pretty groggy so I know why they need you to bring a driver to get you home. I had no food for 40 hours, but I was more tired than hungry when I got home. I had a small piece of a cracker and some water and went to bed for a few hours. It is a pretty easy procedure except for the fasting and Gatorade preparation, but it is one day out of your life that can actually save a life. So it"s a no-brainer. Take the test... save your life.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had a colonoscopy in February and have had stomach/back pain ever since. I have been back to the doctor who ran more tests, only to find nothing.

Comment from: della, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was calm before the colonoscopy; relaxed in the knowledge that I would be given analgesic via the cannula even though I was not to be sedated; no provision of 12 hour supervision. Initially all was ok, then acute pain which I could not tolerate. Offered air/oxygen was useless. Clinician did not seem to know details and eventually put 50 units of some painkiller into my cannula; all too late. I now await CT scan.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?