Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Sillydogruns, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 52, and two hours ago, I had a colonoscopy. I was nervous because it was my first time. The doctor used IV fentanyl and IV Versed to sedate me. I live in Canada and work in the medical field, so I knew what medicines they were going to use before the procedure. After they put the IV in, they put nasal prongs on with oxygen on me. They put the sedating medications in the IV. Lying on my side, I remember thinking 'I think I am starting to feel the sedatives kicking in', and then I woke up in recovery. They left what felt like a thin tube in my bowel exiting the rectum (which I could hardly feel) so that I could pass the air they filled my bowel with, silently, which I was thankful for, because there were other people in the recovery with me. After about an hour in recovery, they took the tube out, and I could not even feel it being taken out. I was refreshed and not groggy. My mind was clear. I felt great. I was told I had a normal colonoscopy. I will never be nervous to have this done again.

Comment from: NeverAgain, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a sigmoidoscopy at age 50. I did not have any sedation as I was told it was not necessary, so I went in with no apprehension. It was the worst. The doctor rammed that device where it had to be, and it was so bad. The nurse told me after that I should have been sedated. I only wish she had advocated for me during the procedure as I just squirmed all over. That doctor knew that if he would have medicated me that the procedure would have taken longer for the medicine to be effective. Needless to say, I haven't gone for any more scopes. If I die of colon cancer, it's that doctor's ruthless behavior at fault. I don't know what device he used, but my imagination tells me that he jammed a small rodent with sharp little claws up there and it spent a long time scurrying around and around until it found its way out. Never again!

Comment from: Vern, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I just came back from my colonoscopy. The staff were all helpful and very nice. I was obviously nervous after the mixture was so awful, that had to be drunk over the last couple days and thought the procedure could only be painful. I could not believe when it was over and how quickly. Not painful at all, the solution to prepare was worse.

Comment from: Natural believer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a screening colonoscopy on Tuesday morning. I used a new preparation called Suprep, which costs USD 120.00. It is 8 oz. that you mix with 16 oz., drink, and then drink 2 more 16 oz. cups of plain water within 2 hours. Sure did work! You do it again the next morning 4 hours before your appointment. I have 4 words for this entire prep; projectile anal liquid release. The test was done under propofol, so I have no memory and had no pain. Or if I did I don't remember! Unfortunately, I had 6 benign polyps taken, one of the pre-cancerous variety, and they installed 3 instinct endoscopic hemoclips. I was given a diet for a week consisting of very few foods that I can eat. I am a 5 ft. 7, 135 lb. non-insulin dependent diabetic with a less than 6 A1C. I work very carefully for this range and refuse to eat white and mushy food. I am close to a raw food vegetarian. I could not eat their pasta, potato and white flour suggestions. Overcooked canned beets were the best I could do! I also must refrain from any painkillers for 2 weeks except the (worthless) Tylenol. I have had lower back pain since the minute I came to. Now it's Sunday afternoon, and their Tylenol therapy is still not helping. Apparently, my colon is still 'asleep' as well. They have suggested that I take the chemical Miralax for that. My body always knew what to do before this, with no problem at all. Very regular without ever a problem. I was constipated once in 1976. I am sorry I had this procedure done. We all have to die of something anyways. Living like this is not any picnic either! Will I ever have bowel movement again! They seem to think this is just fine.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have just had a colonoscopy, two days ago. The pain was excruciating. I don't know what kind of sedation they gave me, but whatever it was, it didn't work. He stopped eventually when the nurse asked me if I wanted it to stop and I said yes. He just said 'x-ray' and left. The whole thing left me tearful and demeaned. Now I am angry.

Comment from: spiriritfilledlife, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am having getting ready to have my 2nd colonoscopy procedure. The first was good except for the preparation. I hear there will be something a little different this time, but I have to do it twice, which I regret. I can't get around the pre-prep. I did take in one pre-prep a friend has used where you just drink the little bottle and 5 glasses of water, but my doctor uses something that is 1 liter that I have to drink twice. The last time I did this, I found that using a straw really helped me get pass the taste. I could suck it down quickly also. So that's my suggestion to everyone. I will do another post after this procedure. A little nervous because when I called to make appointment I found out my regular doctor had died. I am using the doctor that was in the office with him and he has more practice than the past one. I did not get to meet him though because the practitioner met with me.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?