Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: pain management, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Here"s some advice. When the doctor asks if you are getting sleepy and you say "no", that should be a red flag. The IV missed the vein and the sedative didn"t work, but he started anyway. Never experienced such pain in my life. It took a while before they got me properly sedated. I could not believe how 'not' gentle the doctor was. Just shoving stuff up there like it"s a turkey being stuffed on Thanksgiving. Next time I"ll scream "no" if it"s not working.

Comment from: lollygirl52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I feel so sorry for those that had a painful experience. I have had two now, the last one being yesterday. The prep is never good for me because I can"t drink volumes of anything. I don"t like Gatorade either. I mixed mine with Miralax as directed. Earlier in the day I had chicken broth. I"d rather have salty than sweet. During the last 32 oz of the Gatorade mixture, I put a tiny bit of salt on my tongue, because then it felt like I was drinking after a pretzel or chip (without actually eating anything). I also had the Dulcolax tablets, 2 at 3 pm and 2 at 7 pm. It took a while before it all worked but in the evening I had the required results. In the morning I only rinsed my mouth after brushing my teeth, which helped. The staff at the hospital was great. The sedative in the IV worked pretty fast. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. I was pretty groggy so I know why they need you to bring a driver to get you home. I had no food for 40 hours, but I was more tired than hungry when I got home. I had a small piece of a cracker and some water and went to bed for a few hours. It is a pretty easy procedure except for the fasting and Gatorade preparation, but it is one day out of your life that can actually save a life. So it"s a no-brainer. Take the test... save your life.

Comment from: Roll11tide, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a colonoscopy today. The doctor told me how things would go. He gave me some type of drug in my IV. I went out and half way through the procedure I woke up and all I saw was the colon TV screen, it totally freaked me out. I was so awake I remember him pointing at my IV and snapping his fingers and saying give him 250 more mgs. After that I was out cold. I finally woke up and according to my wife I was saying some crazy things. Only 20 minutes after I woke up, I was wide awake no hangover drug effect. I only feel just a little soreness in my lower abdominal region. The operation went smooth. The first night I took all of the liquid flush, it didn"t work so I had to reschedule. The doctor ordered me a different flush and by the time that was gone I was in miserable pain on the toilet for about 18 hours. The doctor said I still wasn"t all the way clean, weird. After no food for 3 days my blood pressure was 99 over 59 really low. After the procedure I ate and ate I"m just glad it"s over. It"s not as bad as you would think. The procedure took only 45 minutes and 30 minutes of recovery which I did not need.

Comment from: WinnMacKinnon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had two colonoscopies due to strong family history of colon cancer. First one went very well, preparation was Phospho soda, quick and easy. I was sedated for procedure, didn't feel a thing, woke up and went out to lunch. I had my second colonoscopy today, very different experience. Entire GoLytely preparation was a gallon of salty disgustingness which caused nausea and I was up half the night. Different doctor and a totally different experience. My sedation made me slightly sleepy but I was not asleep, felt everything. At one point as they were pressing on my belly to make the scope turn a corner the pain was so unbelievably intense that try as I did not to, I starting crying out and yelling stop. I was panting and crying and this is totally not like me. It was a nightmare I was not expecting. The nurse said to me "I don't know why you're not asleep, you've had all the drugs" but I remember every second. I'm never going through that again and I urge everyone to think twice about doing this procedure.

Comment from: ooairuhhoo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was an absolute wreck the week before the colonoscopy. I have a family history of colon cancer, so a screening was needed. I took two laxative tabs at 4pm on day before procedure. Six o' clock came the first 32oz Gatorade Miralax mixture. Doesn't taste too horrible, but since I already hate Gatorade, it was hard to finish. A couple hours later I start to feel more and more nauseated, I became pale, and had to run to the bathroom, and I started to feel weak. I began throwing up a lot before the bowel movements began. This was going on for about fifteen minutes. It was the worst part of the whole experience. Spent all night running to the bathroom. I finished the second Gatorade mix at 7:45 the next morning; lots more bathroom time. Off to the procedure where I was crying and scared. The nurses were so nice and funny, and once they gave me the IV I don't remember anything. I woke up and they told me it was time to get up. All in all, the preparation was the worst part. I was so scared for nothing.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?