Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: scared, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have stomach pains 4 days after colonoscopy. My doctor had me take stool softeners every day for the week prior, 2 bisacodyl 2 days before and day before, citrate of magnesia bottle day before, standard dual dose MoviPrep day before and finish off a few hours later with another bottle of magnesia citrate. I never had pains ever for first 3 colonoscopies. I told him my normal bowel movements are maybe once every 2 to 3 days. I thought it was over the top preparation but now my stomach is killing me. His nurse spoke to me but he hasn't called me. I wonder if I should go to my regular doctor and tell him. I am afraid this might have really messed me up.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I just had my first ever colonoscopy 24 hours back. And as most people have stated the colon cleansing prep is the most difficult part. I'm not going to lie about that. My gastrointestinal (GI) physician requires a 2 day cleanse, with the GoLytely (soapy/salty tasting water solution) to start on the 2nd day. Let's just say I never thought I could pee from my butt! Have plenty of electrolyte based clear drinks with you. I did coconut water, some Gatorade, and chicken broth. I preferred the coconut water as I felt it was more hydrating for me. Regarding the colonoscopy, I originally wanted a light sedative because of the nasty side effect of vomiting/dry heaves when I had general anesthesia as a teenager to remove a cyst in my wrist. Not a great lasting impression for me! After speaking with the anesthesiologist, he lightly sedated me but when he informed my GI physician about this, the physician said it's best to put me out and that I wouldn't get sick. Moments later I was dozing off and out I went. Next thing I heard was the post-operation nurse calling to wake me up! The exam took 40 minutes and I was given lactic solution to keep me hydrated throughout the process. Twenty four hours later I never felt nauseous or vomited! Whew! Today I'm only feeling slightly groggy and resting. Please don't let the experience of having a colonoscopy scare you away. It's right up there with having annual physicals, mammograms, prostate screenings, etc. It could save your life. I'll find out my results soon. Don't let fear/laziness of one's own health care put you off! I say this with much sincerity.

Comment from: busy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and I was really dreading having it done. The worse bit was having to take the medicine powders to clear your bowels. I did not need to be sedated and chose Ethonox (gas and air). Slightly painful at times, but didn't last too long. Half hour later I was on my way home. If I did need to have another one again I would choose Ethonox again.

Comment from: jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Please don't be worried about your colonoscopy, I had mine 6 days ago and I was really nervous. It was nothing at all, I didn't want sedation, only pain relief which was wonderful. I never even noticed they had inserted the camera tube till I saw it on the screen, was in and out in ten minutes, having coffee and toast. It was totally pain free, don't worry yourself, it was fine.

Comment from: HealthyMom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am fifty years old and I had my first colonoscopy today. Everyone said drinking the GoLytely was the worst part and that the procedure itself would be painless and the drugs would cause you not to remember any of it even though you"re not asleep; false on all accounts. The GoLytely wasn"t that bad. I mixed Crystal Light with it and had it very cold. Use a straw - that helps it pass most of the taste buds. The procedure itself was painful. I screamed, was crying and about flew off the table at one point. They gave me more drugs, which ended up putting me out but I do remember everything. I will never have another - the whole experience was degrading, embarrassing, and humiliating besides.

Comment from: pain management, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Here"s some advice. When the doctor asks if you are getting sleepy and you say "no", that should be a red flag. The IV missed the vein and the sedative didn"t work, but he started anyway. Never experienced such pain in my life. It took a while before they got me properly sedated. I could not believe how 'not' gentle the doctor was. Just shoving stuff up there like it"s a turkey being stuffed on Thanksgiving. Next time I"ll scream "no" if it"s not working.

Comment from: lollygirl52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I feel so sorry for those that had a painful experience. I have had two now, the last one being yesterday. The prep is never good for me because I can"t drink volumes of anything. I don"t like Gatorade either. I mixed mine with Miralax as directed. Earlier in the day I had chicken broth. I"d rather have salty than sweet. During the last 32 oz of the Gatorade mixture, I put a tiny bit of salt on my tongue, because then it felt like I was drinking after a pretzel or chip (without actually eating anything). I also had the Dulcolax tablets, 2 at 3 pm and 2 at 7 pm. It took a while before it all worked but in the evening I had the required results. In the morning I only rinsed my mouth after brushing my teeth, which helped. The staff at the hospital was great. The sedative in the IV worked pretty fast. The next thing I knew I was in recovery. I was pretty groggy so I know why they need you to bring a driver to get you home. I had no food for 40 hours, but I was more tired than hungry when I got home. I had a small piece of a cracker and some water and went to bed for a few hours. It is a pretty easy procedure except for the fasting and Gatorade preparation, but it is one day out of your life that can actually save a life. So it"s a no-brainer. Take the test... save your life.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?