Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: RuthAnn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

The laxative and solution I had to drink were the only unpleasant part -- very unpleasant. The test was fine. I received a drug and knew nothing until the test was over. The staff made me very comfortable and relaxed; and I got a good report -- one very small polyp removed.

Comment from: Natalie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

Not a walk in the park, but not that bad overall. Prep day was the worst: no food, lots of laxatives, lots (and lots and lots) of bathroom visits, a little vomiting during the night (which I was warned might happen due to the volume of laxative ingestion). Worse was nothing to eat or drink the morning of the test, and I need my coffee. Thanks to the anesthesia, I felt nothing during the procedure. Quite 'musical' afterward, but so was everybody else, a few abdominal cramps as the 'music' continued, and thirsty. One hour after my procedure I was shopping (alas, not retail therapy--groceries). I lost a dear, dear friend to colon cancer when she was only 28 years old. At 51, I am thankful that I have reached the age where I need the screening and will cheerfully undergo the next one when it is time. I hope you do too.

Published: July 22

More info should be given to patients on how to introduce food back into your system. Getting back on track for a delicate system was more difficult then the procedure itself. Eat small portions even if you feel starved and avoid dairy, protein, sugar and fats. Yogurt helped.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: August 04

The most painful experience I have ever had and would not go back. I had an operation for Crohns disease 20 years ago and should go and have check-ups. I was told I would be sedated but this was not the case. The Dr. was rough and uncaring and showed no mercy to my obvious pain and discomfort. I felt as though a horse had kicked me and was off work for two weeks.

Comment from: Kay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

My husband had his colonoscopy yesterday. He "woke up" twice during the procedure, and will have to go back and have a general in order to remove all of the polyups. I know that at 52, I need to have this done. My problem is not the procedure, but what it takes to get a squeaky clean bowel.

Published: July 09

I went under instantly and did not know anything until I woke up in recovery. However, a week later, I am still slightly achy in my pelvis.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?