Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Motherless daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 22

My mother's only experience with a routine colonoscopy resulted in a ruptured spleen, several surgeries, and severe complications during an 8-month stay in the ICU that ultimately resulted in her death. She was in good health, only 68 years old, and had no digestive problems when she underwent the procedure.

Comment from: M, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

The worst part about getting a colonoscopy for me was the emotional aspect. Having a man doctor and me being a woman was a difficult thing for me to have to endure.It almost seemed like a rape to me. Yes, I was heavily sedated, but I did wake up several times. I only remember one time and trying to look at the television screen, but they promptly put me back under again. They told me they had to use twice as much sedation on me than they use on even really big guys (and I'm only 129 pounds). I did not enjoy any aspect of this procedure. Even though the nurses were trying to be nice, I was scared out of my mind (and this was my second one: No, it doesn't get any easier). I don't like the fact that I could not find a female doctor in my area to perform this. Also, I don't like the fact that they talk to you immediately after, while you're still heavily drugged. I barely remember any of my discussion about what they found! I'm glad my husband was there; at least he was able to fill in the blanks for me as best he could. I hate that I will have to get this again eventually, and I only will consent because I want to keep myself as healthy as possible to be around for my kids, but I dread it and wish I didn't have to.

Comment from: Oakkennedy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a routine colonoscopy three days ago. I was in and out in two hours, and I went home to dinner and the Olympics. The worst part was fasting the day before and the overtime on the toilet. I watched the monitor as the procedure unfolded. It was very interesting viewing. There was some mild discomfort at times. I had one small polyp removed, and now I'm on to the high-fiber diet.

Comment from: Hurt bu colonoscopy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a terrible colonoscopy experience. I was given Versed and was not told of the amnesia effects. The exam was terribly painful, but due to the Versed, I could only writhe in pain as they all smirked and said: "You won't remember a thing." The trouble is that I do remember how roughly I was treated and how the terrible pain that I experienced was ignored, and I was helpless to even say anything. It was creepy partial amnesia.

Comment from: Lucie, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My son had it done in a doctor's office and found it to be painful. Then three months later, yesterday, he had it done again. This time they told him they would do it at the hospital because they can sedate you more, and I was there. He never felt a thing. My conclusion: Get it done in a hospital and ask to be heavily sedated.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had two colonoscopies in the last two years. I was diagnosed with colitis. The procedure was scary for me at first, but I found if you relax and breathe deeply time passes quickly. It was mildly painful at one point, but the pain was short-lived. I would not be afraid to have another one. And it is a great way to get to the bottom of your problems and get treating them.

Comment from: Rebelgroove, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I have just returned home from day-surgery colonoscopy. The procedure, polyp-removal included, came in under 21 minutes. The worst part by far was the fasting. The last time I was allowed to eat was dinner two days before the procedure. Two pieces of toast do not in any way constitute “breakfast.” I survived the next 24 hours on beef broth (not bullion), Jell-O, Gatorade and gum. Make sure you sleep as long as you can into the day of the procedure because you can't even have water until after it's all finished.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?