Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Bobby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I had my colonoscopy last week. The preparation and procedure were not bad. I was able to swallow the mixture with no problem whatsoever. It tasted like watered down Gatorade and I didn't have to mix it with anything. The procedure itself went fairly quickly, five small polyps removed and all benign. I don't remember anything from the time the IV started and waking up in recovery. I was also diagnosed with diverticulitis which can be treated. For those who are afraid of getting a colonoscopy, please don't be. I cannot emphasize enough to get a colonoscopy. It can be a lifesaver.

Comment from: celest, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a colonoscopy over a year back and I was in excruciating pain to the point where they had to stop. I am finding blood at the end of a bowel movement, it is getting heavier as each passing month, but I will not have another colonoscopy as it is too much pain. Surely they can sedate more for us who find it very painful to the point they have to stop!

Comment from: Just do it!, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I just had my first colonoscopy 8 hours ago. For the procedure itself, they gave me propofol. I was out like a light, and woke up in the recovery room. Didn't remember or feel a thing. Thirty minutes later, I was on my way home. My results were 'negative', and no polyps found. Doctor said 'We'll see you in 10 years'. My advice is, relax, just do it. It's such a simple procedure to determine if you have or are a candidate for colon cancer. After the procedure, I had a bit of gas, and a slight bloated feeling for a few hours... really nothing though. As for the prep, I drank a gallon of Gatorade mixed with Miralax, which seemed to do the trick. Pay no attention to the posters below who 'think twice before having this done'. Just do it!

Comment from: mesti, Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I had my second colonoscopy 5/2/14, no problems. I had a pleasant nap, woke up and went home. The next day I woke up with a severe pain across my lower back. I thought it was gas so I didn't do anything about it. After a few days it settled in my right side. After approximately 3 weeks it started to move around in my stomach, back and chest areas. I finally saw my doctor. He ordered an ultrasound which showed nothing, an x-ray which showed a slipped disc, which doesn't' explain the kind of pain I'm having. I will never have another colonoscopy!

Comment from: linnyjo511, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a colonoscopy done July 1st, was in the recovery room with severe left side pain but was ignored by nurses about the pain. Doctor stated he thought I was overly anxious, finally they called for ambulance that never showed up until I was already in my sister's van headed across the highway to the emergency room (ER). I can't remember that kind of pain before. I was bleeding out. I had emergency surgery where they say I had a liter of blood and they had to remove my spleen, was in ICU for several days because I also went into respiratory arrest twice during recovery. I was given 4 liters of blood and eventually 2 more. Doctor stated that my spleen had been perforated. The gastroenterologist stated that my spleen attached itself to my colon for some reason, which all seems like a badly written script.

Comment from: l johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My colonoscopy was fifteen minutes of torture. It hurt like someone was ripping my intestines out. I will never go through that again. Besides the pain, it was degrading having people talking saying calm down, that doesn't hurt, be still. Ever since I had it I have been depressed and withdrawn from family and feel borderline suicidal. I have had many surgeries, broke neck. Knee, arm, and more but nothing was like this. I do not know what to do about it. I will never have another and do not know my results and do not care. I wish I could speak to my wife or something. I would rather die than go through this again and hope this has not cost me my family or life already. At 45 it was the biggest mistake of my life.

Comment from: IreneJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

When I turned 50 I had my first colonoscopy procedure and then had one every year after that due to a long history of UC (ulcerative colitis). Versed and Demerol were the drugs used for the procedure until I developed an allergy to Demerol. Since my colon is very badly twisted and scarred and fentanyl, is just not strong enough, I now am given propofol and probably fentanyl, and the experience is painless. At least I don't remember it. Now I am on the every 2 years schedule. I firmly believe that the choice of doctor really plays actively in your experience.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?