Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: mesti, Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I had my second colonoscopy 5/2/14, no problems. I had a pleasant nap, woke up and went home. The next day I woke up with a severe pain across my lower back. I thought it was gas so I didn't do anything about it. After a few days it settled in my right side. After approximately 3 weeks it started to move around in my stomach, back and chest areas. I finally saw my doctor. He ordered an ultrasound which showed nothing, an x-ray which showed a slipped disc, which doesn't' explain the kind of pain I'm having. I will never have another colonoscopy!

Comment from: linnyjo511, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a colonoscopy done July 1st, was in the recovery room with severe left side pain but was ignored by nurses about the pain. Doctor stated he thought I was overly anxious, finally they called for ambulance that never showed up until I was already in my sister's van headed across the highway to the emergency room (ER). I can't remember that kind of pain before. I was bleeding out. I had emergency surgery where they say I had a liter of blood and they had to remove my spleen, was in ICU for several days because I also went into respiratory arrest twice during recovery. I was given 4 liters of blood and eventually 2 more. Doctor stated that my spleen had been perforated. The gastroenterologist stated that my spleen attached itself to my colon for some reason, which all seems like a badly written script.

Comment from: l johnny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

My colonoscopy was fifteen minutes of torture. It hurt like someone was ripping my intestines out. I will never go through that again. Besides the pain, it was degrading having people talking saying calm down, that doesn't hurt, be still. Ever since I had it I have been depressed and withdrawn from family and feel borderline suicidal. I have had many surgeries, broke neck. Knee, arm, and more but nothing was like this. I do not know what to do about it. I will never have another and do not know my results and do not care. I wish I could speak to my wife or something. I would rather die than go through this again and hope this has not cost me my family or life already. At 45 it was the biggest mistake of my life.

Comment from: IreneJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

When I turned 50 I had my first colonoscopy procedure and then had one every year after that due to a long history of UC (ulcerative colitis). Versed and Demerol were the drugs used for the procedure until I developed an allergy to Demerol. Since my colon is very badly twisted and scarred and fentanyl, is just not strong enough, I now am given propofol and probably fentanyl, and the experience is painless. At least I don't remember it. Now I am on the every 2 years schedule. I firmly believe that the choice of doctor really plays actively in your experience.

Comment from: scared, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have stomach pains 4 days after colonoscopy. My doctor had me take stool softeners every day for the week prior, 2 bisacodyl 2 days before and day before, citrate of magnesia bottle day before, standard dual dose MoviPrep day before and finish off a few hours later with another bottle of magnesia citrate. I never had pains ever for first 3 colonoscopies. I told him my normal bowel movements are maybe once every 2 to 3 days. I thought it was over the top preparation but now my stomach is killing me. His nurse spoke to me but he hasn't called me. I wonder if I should go to my regular doctor and tell him. I am afraid this might have really messed me up.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I just had my first ever colonoscopy 24 hours back. And as most people have stated the colon cleansing prep is the most difficult part. I'm not going to lie about that. My gastrointestinal (GI) physician requires a 2 day cleanse, with the GoLytely (soapy/salty tasting water solution) to start on the 2nd day. Let's just say I never thought I could pee from my butt! Have plenty of electrolyte based clear drinks with you. I did coconut water, some Gatorade, and chicken broth. I preferred the coconut water as I felt it was more hydrating for me. Regarding the colonoscopy, I originally wanted a light sedative because of the nasty side effect of vomiting/dry heaves when I had general anesthesia as a teenager to remove a cyst in my wrist. Not a great lasting impression for me! After speaking with the anesthesiologist, he lightly sedated me but when he informed my GI physician about this, the physician said it's best to put me out and that I wouldn't get sick. Moments later I was dozing off and out I went. Next thing I heard was the post-operation nurse calling to wake me up! The exam took 40 minutes and I was given lactic solution to keep me hydrated throughout the process. Twenty four hours later I never felt nauseous or vomited! Whew! Today I'm only feeling slightly groggy and resting. Please don't let the experience of having a colonoscopy scare you away. It's right up there with having annual physicals, mammograms, prostate screenings, etc. It could save your life. I'll find out my results soon. Don't let fear/laziness of one's own health care put you off! I say this with much sincerity.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?