Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: NYMAMI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had a colonoscopy today and the worst part was drinking the prep mixture. I was sedated and I only remember waking up in recovery. I will do it again if necessary. My only issue right now is feeling bloated.

Comment from: Angela L, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a colonoscopy yesterday which was Monday, Nov 3, 2014. The procedure went very well. I was sedated with Demerol and I felt no pain. My doctor and the nurses were excellent. They walked me through the process and made sure I was ok during each step. All of my friends, family and co-workers told me that they had the same good experience. If anyone experiences pain with a colonoscopy in 2014 it is very unusual. It's been 24 hours since my colonoscopy and I have no side effects or pain. However, I'm very glad no polyps or other issues were found and I don't need another one for 10 years. Thank goodness!

Comment from: Olivia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I experienced my first colonoscopy today. I have to say the preparation was the worst part of the procedure, and that wasn't even bad. The Peg-Lyte was not distasteful, only annoying to have to drink 4 liters. Slight irritation of anal skin due to constant going! I was relieved to have drunk the last drop. I did not expect a yellow fluid near the end of the prepping which I learned was 'colon bile'. The actual procedure was painless. I was sedated and didn't feel a thing. I had a good snooze and when I awoke it was time to go home. All was well. That part is very satisfying.

Comment from: Todd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

Two days before I had to prepare for colonoscopy, I starting cutting back on my food intake. 1 day before my prep, I ate 3 small meals. After eating dinner I starting drinking 8 ounces of water every hour. The day of the prep, I had to drink 10 ounces of magnesium citrate; it had cherry flavor. It did not taste that bad. Then I had to take 2 Dulcolax tablets. Within 30 minutes I was going to the bathroom. It was not that bad. I kept on drinking water, eating Jell-O, banana pops, and clear white grape juice. In 8 hours I had to repeat the same process. It was not that bad. The day of the colonoscopy I was wanting to eat. Once they put me to sleep, that was real good sleep. They found 2 polyps. In 5 years I will have to go back. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Comment from: Jim L., Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I have several of these colonoscopy tests due to colitis. The first three were pretty uneventful. The last two were terrible. I woke up during one to excruciating pain and heard the doctor say give him more medications. The last one I got very sick while taking the prep. When I went in for the exam my heart rate was at 135 beats a minute and I felt very dehydrated. They did the test anyway. When I woke I had terrible abdominal pain. This went on for three days and then there was diarrhea which continued for six weeks. I'm not sure I will have another exam. My insurance is trying to force me to have another as I am due yet again.

Comment from: otterfan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a colonoscopy last week, my second in 7 years. Prep was as expected, unpleasant but tolerable. The whole process from check-in to check-out took way longer than usual - almost 4 hours. Last time I was in and out in 1 1/2 hours. Previously I'd been given propofol with no side effects; however, this time I began sneezing in recovery and my left eye watered profusely. I'm thinking it was some kind of allergic reaction that lasted for 3 days, and oddly only affected my left eye and left nasal passage. Weird. It will make me think twice before I submit to this procedure in the future.

Comment from: Jono1125, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I had a colonoscopy yesterday. I thought (from talking to other people) that the prep would be the worst part of it. I was wrong. They gave me a sedative about 15 seconds before the procedure was started. I was awake and in excruciating pain the whole time. I was so shocked that I was feeling so much pain that I couldn't speak. When it was finally over, I asked a nurse why it was so painful. She said that I must be very 'twisty'. I couldn't make her understand that the sedation didn't work at all for me. I never felt sleepy or groggy or even calm. It was so traumatic for me, I will never, ever have another colonoscopy!

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?