Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Rexdale, Ont, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Many years ago, I had the procedure done at the hospital. They gave no pain medications. I had a bowl spasm. I was in such pain.... Now, many years later, I went for another colonoscopy at a private clinic. I paid the $80 fee and was comfortable from start to finish. They knocked me out so there was no pain. I awoke, had some juice and cookies and went home with no problems. Please, this is one of the most important tests you could ever do. Do it right and get knocked out. Choose your medical office with care. Tell your doctor what you want and except nothing less.

Comment from: Good Results, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I scheduled a routine colonoscopy relative to an age appropriate screening as per my doctor's suggestion. I had the procedure done this morning and it was truly a "non event." It was painless, quickly over with, and not problematic in any way. I'm now home and feel that I can do any of my routine activities but will forego them and follow my doctor's orders to "take it easy, today." The prep work was a bit inconvenient and the liquid that had to be ingested was far from tasty, but all-in-all it wasn't bad. Just make plans to stay near a bathroom! Based upon viewer comments, I was second guessing my choice to have the screening done but now that it is over, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Comment from: Kirinhappish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a colonoscopy in June this yeAR. The Dr. had done this same procedure twice before on me, with no problems. I had two popyps removed I had a colonoscopy in June this year. The doctor had done this same procedure twice before on me, with no problems. I had two polyps removed the two times before. This time, he told me he was using the same medication he used the other two times, which was Fentanyl. I always question what he used as I have had several allergies in the past. It was scheduled for 9 a.m. I came to two hours later, violently throwing up and had a colon full of air they kept telling me to expel. I had never been like that before. After another two hours, they called an ambulance and sent me to the Gwinnett Medical Center for them to stop the vomiting. I left the center that evening around 8 p.m. I had pain and problems with my colon for several weeks thereafter. I have never received a call from this doctor or his office to inquire about my condition. He did remove one polyp, which was not cancerous.

Comment from: Valady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I just got back from having my second colonoscopy in five years. The worst part of the whole thing is the prep the day before. The first one I had, I didn't remember speaking to the doctor and that was fine with me. Today, I heard people talking, but I didn't feel a thing. It is sad to read some of the terrible experiences people had. This procedure should never be looked upon as a sexual assault, it is not an assault. This is a lifesaving medical procedure that saves lives.

Comment from: Slam, 55-64 Male Published: August 27

I had absolutely no problem with my colonoscopy. I had my second one a few weeks ago. First, find a doctor that will perform the procedure in OR with anesthesia that puts you to sleep. Second, use the half lyte prep with cherry flavor pack. It's half the fluid than the old stuff. Third, give permission to the doctor to speak to the person that brought you to the hospital. You're going to be too sleepy to remember anything. Finally, make an appointment with the doctor to get the entire results. "An ounce of prevention is worth far more than a pound of cure." - Ben Franklin

Comment from: Patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had a colonoscopy recently and everything went fine. The bowel prep kit given the day before was the hardest thing to do. I recommend the cherry flavor pack. I went in and didn't feel any pain or remember the procedure. It gives you peace of mind when the doctor tells you everything looks fine, and I won't need another one for seven to 10 years. It is best to get it done and over with, in my opinion.

Comment from: P, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

My colonoscopy experience was not bad. I was put to sleep and did not feel anything. This was in a doctor's office. It was a very easy test, and they found two polyps. The polyps were removed and tested. Everything came back OK. I will not be so nervous next time. It is worth going to get yourself checked so you can see your kids grow up or grandkids. Getting prepared for the test is the hardest part of the procedure.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?