Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: CarlM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had a fairly sudden change in bowel habits, along with narrowing stools. I gave it a couple of weeks but nothing improved to any significant degree so went to the doctor for a chat. Doctor suggested a colonoscopy (I'm 44), but didn't think it was significant given age and family history. Colonoscopy was scheduled for a Wednesday, on the Monday I ate very light and took some milk of magnesium on Monday night. On Tuesday I did the clear liquids, and Tuesday evening did the MoviPrep (nowhere near as bad as people say). Early next morning did round 2 of the prep and was all set. Doctor gave me propofol so I was knocked out, woke up soon after, 2 small polyps (noncancerous) were snipped out and I was all set. Nowhere near the big deal that other people have described!

Comment from: Carl Max, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Let me start by saying, the whole process of colonoscopy was much easier than I imagined. The prep (MoviPrep) wasn't exactly delightful, but I made sure the day before the liquid diet, I ate very little, and took some milk of magnesium the night before. The MoviPrep I mixed up, refrigerated it, and at 6 pm started the 8 oz. every 15 minute process. By 6:45 I was seeing some action, and by 7:30 I was in full flow. By 10 pm it was cleaned out and I went to bed. I woke at 4:00 am and started the 2nd round of MoviPrep (I short changed the last measure - I was already passing clear fluid). The hospital was well set up and expecting me, I had an IV in the back of my hand (almost entirely painless). I was wheeled in and given a cocktail of fun drugs the last one being propofol, and off to sleep-land I went. I woke up 40 minutes later, was given all clear, and 45 minutes after that I was out the door. Painless, quick, and much fuss about nothing!

Comment from: wardy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had 2 colonoscopies the first was painful at times but bearable due to sympathetic medic. The second (this week) was excruciating. The nurse who took my details said that they did not do pain relief, only sedation and that the sedation necessitated bed rest for one and half hours afterwards so therefore it was better to go without. I have never experienced pain like it. The medic kept saying it was wind so I said stop and let me get rid of it, he took no notice and carried on. At one point I said if you don't stop hurting me so much I am going to kick you, he still didn't stop. I was frantic by that time, it was only when I felt him withdraw the thing that I breathed a sigh of relief. Why does it have to be so painful! Why can't it be done under anesthetic!

Comment from: Candace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I had a colonoscopy 10 years ago, no problem. This time however, I had pain through most of procedure. I don't know if there was not enough sedation or what, but I was gripping the rails and was doing more bearing down, panting, etc., than in childbirth. I really was very aware, but now it feels a bit more blurry. They could not get the scope to go up high enough so now I have to have a CT to do the rest. Downside is another prep and I don't know what to expect, but imagine it will be less painful. I suppose results will all follow after CT. It was a drag this time, but my Dad had stage IV colon cancer at the end of his life. Even though that was not the cause of death at 82, it has to be done for precaution. Cannot say I am looking forward to it though.

Comment from: Bobby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I had my colonoscopy last week. The preparation and procedure were not bad. I was able to swallow the mixture with no problem whatsoever. It tasted like watered down Gatorade and I didn't have to mix it with anything. The procedure itself went fairly quickly, five small polyps removed and all benign. I don't remember anything from the time the IV started and waking up in recovery. I was also diagnosed with diverticulitis which can be treated. For those who are afraid of getting a colonoscopy, please don't be. I cannot emphasize enough to get a colonoscopy. It can be a lifesaver.

Comment from: celest, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a colonoscopy over a year back and I was in excruciating pain to the point where they had to stop. I am finding blood at the end of a bowel movement, it is getting heavier as each passing month, but I will not have another colonoscopy as it is too much pain. Surely they can sedate more for us who find it very painful to the point they have to stop!

Comment from: Just do it!, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I just had my first colonoscopy 8 hours ago. For the procedure itself, they gave me propofol. I was out like a light, and woke up in the recovery room. Didn't remember or feel a thing. Thirty minutes later, I was on my way home. My results were 'negative', and no polyps found. Doctor said 'We'll see you in 10 years'. My advice is, relax, just do it. It's such a simple procedure to determine if you have or are a candidate for colon cancer. After the procedure, I had a bit of gas, and a slight bloated feeling for a few hours... really nothing though. As for the prep, I drank a gallon of Gatorade mixed with Miralax, which seemed to do the trick. Pay no attention to the posters below who 'think twice before having this done'. Just do it!

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?