Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: otterfan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had a colonoscopy last week, my second in 7 years. Prep was as expected, unpleasant but tolerable. The whole process from check-in to check-out took way longer than usual - almost 4 hours. Last time I was in and out in 1 1/2 hours. Previously I'd been given propofol with no side effects; however, this time I began sneezing in recovery and my left eye watered profusely. I'm thinking it was some kind of allergic reaction that lasted for 3 days, and oddly only affected my left eye and left nasal passage. Weird. It will make me think twice before I submit to this procedure in the future.

Comment from: Jono1125, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I had a colonoscopy yesterday. I thought (from talking to other people) that the prep would be the worst part of it. I was wrong. They gave me a sedative about 15 seconds before the procedure was started. I was awake and in excruciating pain the whole time. I was so shocked that I was feeling so much pain that I couldn't speak. When it was finally over, I asked a nurse why it was so painful. She said that I must be very 'twisty'. I couldn't make her understand that the sedation didn't work at all for me. I never felt sleepy or groggy or even calm. It was so traumatic for me, I will never, ever have another colonoscopy!

Comment from: CarlM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had a fairly sudden change in bowel habits, along with narrowing stools. I gave it a couple of weeks but nothing improved to any significant degree so went to the doctor for a chat. Doctor suggested a colonoscopy (I'm 44), but didn't think it was significant given age and family history. Colonoscopy was scheduled for a Wednesday, on the Monday I ate very light and took some milk of magnesium on Monday night. On Tuesday I did the clear liquids, and Tuesday evening did the MoviPrep (nowhere near as bad as people say). Early next morning did round 2 of the prep and was all set. Doctor gave me propofol so I was knocked out, woke up soon after, 2 small polyps (noncancerous) were snipped out and I was all set. Nowhere near the big deal that other people have described!

Comment from: Carl Max, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Let me start by saying, the whole process of colonoscopy was much easier than I imagined. The prep (MoviPrep) wasn't exactly delightful, but I made sure the day before the liquid diet, I ate very little, and took some milk of magnesium the night before. The MoviPrep I mixed up, refrigerated it, and at 6 pm started the 8 oz. every 15 minute process. By 6:45 I was seeing some action, and by 7:30 I was in full flow. By 10 pm it was cleaned out and I went to bed. I woke at 4:00 am and started the 2nd round of MoviPrep (I short changed the last measure - I was already passing clear fluid). The hospital was well set up and expecting me, I had an IV in the back of my hand (almost entirely painless). I was wheeled in and given a cocktail of fun drugs the last one being propofol, and off to sleep-land I went. I woke up 40 minutes later, was given all clear, and 45 minutes after that I was out the door. Painless, quick, and much fuss about nothing!

Comment from: wardy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had 2 colonoscopies the first was painful at times but bearable due to sympathetic medic. The second (this week) was excruciating. The nurse who took my details said that they did not do pain relief, only sedation and that the sedation necessitated bed rest for one and half hours afterwards so therefore it was better to go without. I have never experienced pain like it. The medic kept saying it was wind so I said stop and let me get rid of it, he took no notice and carried on. At one point I said if you don't stop hurting me so much I am going to kick you, he still didn't stop. I was frantic by that time, it was only when I felt him withdraw the thing that I breathed a sigh of relief. Why does it have to be so painful! Why can't it be done under anesthetic!

Comment from: Candace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I had a colonoscopy 10 years ago, no problem. This time however, I had pain through most of procedure. I don't know if there was not enough sedation or what, but I was gripping the rails and was doing more bearing down, panting, etc., than in childbirth. I really was very aware, but now it feels a bit more blurry. They could not get the scope to go up high enough so now I have to have a CT to do the rest. Downside is another prep and I don't know what to expect, but imagine it will be less painful. I suppose results will all follow after CT. It was a drag this time, but my Dad had stage IV colon cancer at the end of his life. Even though that was not the cause of death at 82, it has to be done for precaution. Cannot say I am looking forward to it though.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?