Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Sheila, C., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had my colonoscopy last Saturday. I was extremely scared and apprehensive beforehand, especially after reading the dreadful reviews. However, the whole experience was absolutely fine. The prior 3 days preparation weren't a problem and the sachets tasted lovely! I was given a hospital gown to wear along with paper 'modesty shorts' which had an opening at the back. During the whole procedure, I wore these two garments. Sedation was administered in the back of my hand and I was hardly aware of the probe inside me although I have a very low pain threshold. However, watching its progress on the TV screen was absolutely fascinating and the whole examination is over before you realize it! I would have another tomorrow without any qualms.

Comment from: dimples2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I craved salt. I would suck on a rabbit salt block. I had very extreme pain in my joints, swelling in my joints and vomiting that would not stop until I went to the hospital. I had severe pain all over my body, diarrhea that was so bad, and no appetite. I was very weak, light headed, and had fainting spells and low blood pressure. There was weight loss (was very small to start) and I was thirsty although water would even make me sick. There was general body weakness and fatigue beyond fatigue. The salt craving and the extreme pain were the clues that an emergency room doctor decided led him to do the 24 hour urine test for Addison's disease.

Comment from: NYMAMI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had a colonoscopy today and the worst part was drinking the prep mixture. I was sedated and I only remember waking up in recovery. I will do it again if necessary. My only issue right now is feeling bloated.

Comment from: Angela L, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a colonoscopy yesterday which was Monday, Nov 3, 2014. The procedure went very well. I was sedated with Demerol and I felt no pain. My doctor and the nurses were excellent. They walked me through the process and made sure I was ok during each step. All of my friends, family and co-workers told me that they had the same good experience. If anyone experiences pain with a colonoscopy in 2014 it is very unusual. It's been 24 hours since my colonoscopy and I have no side effects or pain. However, I'm very glad no polyps or other issues were found and I don't need another one for 10 years. Thank goodness!

Comment from: Olivia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I experienced my first colonoscopy today. I have to say the preparation was the worst part of the procedure, and that wasn't even bad. The Peg-Lyte was not distasteful, only annoying to have to drink 4 liters. Slight irritation of anal skin due to constant going! I was relieved to have drunk the last drop. I did not expect a yellow fluid near the end of the prepping which I learned was 'colon bile'. The actual procedure was painless. I was sedated and didn't feel a thing. I had a good snooze and when I awoke it was time to go home. All was well. That part is very satisfying.

Comment from: Todd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

Two days before I had to prepare for colonoscopy, I starting cutting back on my food intake. 1 day before my prep, I ate 3 small meals. After eating dinner I starting drinking 8 ounces of water every hour. The day of the prep, I had to drink 10 ounces of magnesium citrate; it had cherry flavor. It did not taste that bad. Then I had to take 2 Dulcolax tablets. Within 30 minutes I was going to the bathroom. It was not that bad. I kept on drinking water, eating Jell-O, banana pops, and clear white grape juice. In 8 hours I had to repeat the same process. It was not that bad. The day of the colonoscopy I was wanting to eat. Once they put me to sleep, that was real good sleep. They found 2 polyps. In 5 years I will have to go back. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Comment from: Jim L., Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I have several of these colonoscopy tests due to colitis. The first three were pretty uneventful. The last two were terrible. I woke up during one to excruciating pain and heard the doctor say give him more medications. The last one I got very sick while taking the prep. When I went in for the exam my heart rate was at 135 beats a minute and I felt very dehydrated. They did the test anyway. When I woke I had terrible abdominal pain. This went on for three days and then there was diarrhea which continued for six weeks. I'm not sure I will have another exam. My insurance is trying to force me to have another as I am due yet again.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?