Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My stomach grew so like big and hard after the colonoscopy. It looks like I'm 9 months pregnant.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

The prep wasn't that bad ,but during the procedure I woke with horrible cramps, then went back out when cramps stopped. Very painful.

Comment from: jewels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Easiest thing I've ever done. People make too much out of things. It's a wonder anybody has any procedures done. Even inserting the iv was easy and done expertly. Never had one with so little pain. I never felt any pain or bloated feeling after. I went later in the day and had a mammo done, as well!!

Comment from: doxielover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Had my screening colonoscopy done last Thursday. The prep was the worst part by far. Dulcolax tabs 2 nights in a row then clear liquids the day prior and that afternoon to drink half of the jug of Golytely and the rest at 6 am the day of procedure. I did add Crystal Light packet to it but it still tasted salty and nasty. Better when it was refrigerated made it easier to get down. Stay close to the bathroom. For the procedure I was given meds through the IV and don't remember a thing, no pain at all. Some gas afterwords that passed and a little tired from the meds. Negative colonoscopy awaiting biopsy results.

Comment from: graebear89, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

Had a colonoscopy done today. Prep was the hardest part, which to me was not that big a deal. The procedure itself was uneventful as the Dr and staff were extremely professional. when the Dr came into the room i was given a sedation, within seconds i was out like a light. i awoke staring at the monitor, looked up at the anesthesiologist and said to her i don't think the medication is working, i'm still not asleep, to which she replied its good your awake B/C the procedure is over. I was wheeled into recovery, Dr came in, spoke with me for a little while and thank God told me i wont need another for 10 years. its nothing to be embarrassed or frightened over, I spent too much time researching and seeing nightmare stories..none here.

Comment from: lisa m, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Had my first colonoscopy about 10 yrs ago. I was asleep and everything went well. The worst part was the prep; nausea, cramping, non-stop BM's,weakness, and raw skin was horrible. My second one is scheduled in 2 days, so that means that tomorrow I will prep all day. Different doctor this time who says I can mix solution in ginger ale to help prevent nausea. I also know to keep skin around anus coated w/petroleum jelly. I can't wait to get this over and hope all goes well.

Comment from: twoterriors, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had a colonoscopy about a year ago. I have not had a decent bowel movement since, and I now have hemorrhoids. I would never suggest anyone get one, nor will I ever have one again.

Comment from: Nan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

The worst part for me was the laxative and the solution. The procedure itself went well and was painless. I was given a drug and have no memory of the procedure.

Comment from: Faye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done at the same time yesterday. For two weeks, I had nightmares and was really scared. The preparation was the worst, but surprisingly not that bad. I went in shaking and scared. All for no reason. The doctor went over the procedure with me, I went to sleep, and woke up in recovery. I feel great.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?