Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: V.Byrum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had a colonoscopy yesterday, and I am still suffering from stomach and bowel pain. The cleansing was awful but the sedation and colonoscopy went well. But the aftermath with the gas and bloating just about made me faint from the excruciating pain! I couldn't eat like I was told to because I could hardly breathe from the pain. I was scheduled at 8:30 am and I didn't leave till 1 pm. I got home and slept till 3:30 pm and was still in pain. I was hardly able to walk. Today my stomach and back hurts from all the contractions! I don't ever want to go through that again!

Comment from: ping, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a colonoscopy today and the one down the throat. Let me tell you it was one of the worst times of my life. I couldn't do the throat one, which was first, I ended up tearing the thing out of my mouth, I was shaking and crying and was really upset by this experience. Next they tried the colonoscopy, I should state that I had no sedation only a spray in mouth and gas and air for the bottom. It was funny at first but then it was pure pain and again I screamed and flung it out of me! Never again, it was hell for me. Please understand I am in no way trying to frighten anyone but I feel I need to tell people, some people like me couldn't cope with the pain. Also because I was dehydrated from the Klean-Prep. They could not sedate me because my veins were too small for the huge needle. I hope you have a better time, people.

Comment from: belle, (Patient) Published: March 05

I will never have this colonoscopy procedure done again. I had this procedure done a week ago and still in a lot of pain. I was fully awake even though they supposedly gave me some drug to sleep. I really believe the nurse who started my IV missed the vein entirely. I screamed for the doctor to stop and he just held me down harder so I couldn't move. I have never felt so helpless. All his nurse would say was to take deep breaths. I will not have this done again.

Comment from: pattonbella, Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I just had my first colonoscopy at age 56. I had been dreading it for years. But I got really sick and lost almost half of my weight from a digestive disorder and I knew that I had to get one. I went to a colon and rectal surgeon as I had more trust in someone who specializes in the colon. (I had already been to about 7 gastroenterologists). I was so sick and eating only about 600 to 700 calories a day and did not know how I would get through the prep. My doctor prescribed Prepopik which is relatively new to the market and is not supposed to be that bad. You only drink a total of 10 oz. of liquid that tastes like tang (an orange type drink that was available years ago). But I was still skeptical because of these powerful drugs that can have many unwanted side effects. I did some research and decided to go with magnesium citrate. It's is an oral solution that you can get from most drugstores, but I got mine at Walmart for 98 cents each (I got 4). I did a low residue diet for days prior to my prep. And my prep was 2 days, not one. I took 2 bottles the first day and 2 the second. I only drank water and an electrolyte drink because I cannot have sugar at this time. I was able to get through it really easy. It was a gentle cleanse and I did not have any bad side effects except for a sore butt. I was concerned that I was not cleaned out enough because I did have some fecal matter even up to the surgery time. I told the doctor and she said it would be fine. (And I was really clean for the procedure according to the surgeon.) This was the easiest prep possible. The test was easy, had a great set of nurses working with me. I woke up and had very mild gas. No polyps, but I had some biopsies done. I still have no solid answers to my digestive issues. But this test is not that bad, it is all about how you think about it. If you need one get it, just know that you have some power to make decisions for your health.

Comment from: AgedMan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

The preparation was a breeze. MoviPrep was the solution. Loads of bad reports about this product but no problem consuming it for me and it seemed to do the job although the doctor said my bowel was not totally clear. Quite how I am supposed to know that I don't know. Anyway the procedure itself was done, they said, with sedative and pain killer but I think they only used one of them. At certain points I was in agony but just gritted my teeth. I don't know if it was the air or the corners or the removal of 2 polyps that caused it. When I went back to the room my wife said I was as white as a ghost and she was shocked. Day after and now I have pain in my tummy, again I don't know if this is gas or at the site of the polypectomy. Guess I will have to see what develops. Small amount of blood passed this morning in watery stool. My advice, ask for general anesthesia or strong sedative if you are having the procedure.

Comment from: GREATFUL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I worried needlessly about colonoscopy. The worst part is the drink and constant use of the bathroom. The procedure was painless. I was lightly sedated and felt great when it was over. Yes, you will experience passing gas which is odorless so you don't have to feel offended. Actually the registered nurse will encourage you to do so. Don't put this off as I did due to fear. I strongly encourage you to schedule it today you'll be glad you did.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?