Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Elizabeth52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had my first colonoscopy 6 days ago. It was horrible! They gave me Demerol and Versed, apparently not enough. I did feel a little spaced out, but remember everything. When I started fighting them because of the pain, the nurse held me down. Apparently the conscious sedative (which is what I had, doesn't work too well on some people). I don't understand why they didn't give me more medication, when I screamed out to stop and that it was hurting. People, if you plan on having this done, go to a doctor that will totally put you out. This can be dangerous when the patient is fighting it and I'm just fortunate that my colon wasn't punctured. My trust in the medical profession is smashed, and I feel it was abuse. Wish I could give the doctor and nurse a colonoscopy after making them drink one single beer. That was about the effect of this sedative on me. Wow! I'm just horrified! I will be informing my family and friends about this and not to go there! Hope this helps some people!

Comment from: Pythoness, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had my second colonoscopy yesterday, a routine screening. I had had one 11 years previous to confirm a diagnosis of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Both times I was lightly sedated and could remember the procedure; the first time my IV wasn't working properly and the second time I requested no Versed. This was because about ten years ago I had an endoscopy with Versed. They thought they were doing me a favor by heavily drugging me; the partial amnesia was terrible for me (obviously this is not the case for everyone). All I could remember from the procedure was someone telling me to breathe when I was gagging, and for the next six weeks I had symptoms of PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder). I dreamed of being raped and strangled and woke up trying to scream, I had to leave work twice because I was unable to stop crying. As a result I've been terrified of having to have the same anesthesia again. I discussed this with everyone who would listen, and the anesthetist said he'd never heard of anything like it, but I feel much better being able to remember things in sequence, even the painful parts. I was also kind of interested in watching the screen. I had some pretty intense pain when they navigated through the lower bowel; I have diverticulosis and following a couple of attacks of diverticulitis there is some scar tissue and sensitivity. It was probably about six on a scale of ten, but only lasted a few minutes. They offered me more sedation, which I refused. I have mild soreness in the lower left quadrant today, which is not surprising. Other than that it went well. I had one attack of dry heaves on the way home which ended after I brought up a little clear fluid, no idea what that was. The staff were astonished at how 'awake' I was afterward, but for me this is hugely preferable. It's not a one-size-fits-all procedure, and I'm delighted they listened and responded to my concerns. I had one small polyp removed, which the doctor says is benign but is likely to be pre-cancerous, so I'm glad to have that gone.

Comment from: V.Byrum, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just had a colonoscopy yesterday, and I am still suffering from stomach and bowel pain. The cleansing was awful but the sedation and colonoscopy went well. But the aftermath with the gas and bloating just about made me faint from the excruciating pain! I couldn't eat like I was told to because I could hardly breathe from the pain. I was scheduled at 8:30 am and I didn't leave till 1 pm. I got home and slept till 3:30 pm and was still in pain. I was hardly able to walk. Today my stomach and back hurts from all the contractions! I don't ever want to go through that again!

Comment from: ping, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a colonoscopy today and the one down the throat. Let me tell you it was one of the worst times of my life. I couldn't do the throat one, which was first, I ended up tearing the thing out of my mouth, I was shaking and crying and was really upset by this experience. Next they tried the colonoscopy, I should state that I had no sedation only a spray in mouth and gas and air for the bottom. It was funny at first but then it was pure pain and again I screamed and flung it out of me! Never again, it was hell for me. Please understand I am in no way trying to frighten anyone but I feel I need to tell people, some people like me couldn't cope with the pain. Also because I was dehydrated from the Klean-Prep. They could not sedate me because my veins were too small for the huge needle. I hope you have a better time, people.

Comment from: belle, (Patient) Published: March 05

I will never have this colonoscopy procedure done again. I had this procedure done a week ago and still in a lot of pain. I was fully awake even though they supposedly gave me some drug to sleep. I really believe the nurse who started my IV missed the vein entirely. I screamed for the doctor to stop and he just held me down harder so I couldn't move. I have never felt so helpless. All his nurse would say was to take deep breaths. I will not have this done again.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?