Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: lanamoon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I just had a colonoscopy on December 5th, 2013. It was my first time. I drank the nasty thick cherry flavored laxative that was prescribed and went to the endoscopy clinic. A registered nurse shoved an IV into my hand. It burned so bad. Then when I went in for the procedure another person administered the anesthetic into my IV. Oh my goodness. It felt like acid being pumped into my hand. It burned so very badly I cried out. They told me that was normal. Normal? You ought to see my hand today. It is swollen and the entire top of my hand is black. The vein is puffed up. It is numb. After the colonoscopy was over, I was made to stand up and walk to another room. I was so confused I didn't know where I was. Now it is all over I can hardly have a bowel movement.

Comment from: Glo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday November 18. I am 51 years old and this will be my second one. I had one in 2005 at the age of 43. I had bleeding during a bowel movement in 2005 and decided to arrange for a colonoscopy back then. A benign polyp was removed. With this one, I am scared about the utilization of propofol however, I was reassured by my doctor all will be fine. Not looking forward to drinking the bowel prep; yet, I know this is worth the time and effort for the procedure and hoping for the best for my health.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday. It was much easier than I expected. The hardest part was drinking so much liquid in a short period of time in prepping for the procedure. I did not experience any cramping or nausea. The procedure was fast. I'm sure every experience is different, depending on the facility, the physician and nurses. I was given a sedative and slept right through the whole thing. Not anyone's favorite thing to do, but for anyone that is hesitating, just getting it done could save your life.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It was easy. The prep was just an inconvenience and I had a severe headache from the night before. They told me most likely it was caffeine withdrawal from no coffee. I went in at 9:15, got an IV; the next thing I knew I woke up and was done. I couldn't believe it. I was out by 10:20. I worried for nothing due to horror stories. What a relief knowing I am good for 10 years! Just needed to find a good doctor and staff.

Comment from: Unhappyinohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I just had a colonoscopy. The prep wasn't that bad, and the test was not that bad. However, I was released, sent home, then major pain began in my stomach area. Had to be taken to emergency room, learned that they perforated my bowel! Had emergency surgery right away, resulting in a colostomy, which can and will be reversed, but what a nightmare!

Comment from: BennyD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

This was the second time I have had a colonoscopy and it was much better this time. Last time I was told to drink oral Fleet, this time was Citromag, which worked better and faster. Not to diminish the fact that the prep is definitely unpleasant but the purgative does make a difference at least for me. The actual procedure was simple, painless, the easiest part of the entire process. From the time I arrived at the hospital until I walked out the front door was one and a half hours.

Comment from: Craig R, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a colonoscopy done in an outpatient setting on August 22, 2013. The entire procedure was done in the most professional manner and I hope to know soon the results of a few biopsies. Truly the hardest part was the prep. Drinking the gallon of GoLytely, 1/2 gallon at a time, and the effects of that wore me out. Otherwise my procedure was started both upper and lower at 1:30 p.m. and by 4:30 p.m. I had consumed a great steak and potato meal. No after problems at all.

Comment from: shakspear, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

If I could have crawled off the table during my colonoscopy I would have, but I was sedated enough I couldn't move, I could just say, "It hurts - help me." Never again. That was torture. I'm 71 and that's the first and last I will ever have. My father died of colon cancer so I was talked into having one.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?