Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Steve, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

After suffering much pain I had my total knee replacement (TKR) in November 2014. The operation went well and I went home after 4 days. I felt I was doing well although the wound wasn't healing and kept oozing. I went regularly to physiotherapy and my bend was improving. I also had my clips removed and attended for dressing changes, as the wound continued to ooze. During the 4th week the oozing became much worse and smelly and I started to feel very ill with a high temperature and vomiting. I was admitted back into hospital where the joint was washed out. The result was a very serious life threatening infection which needed antibiotic treatment and a 6 week stay in hospital. Fortunately the antibiotics did the trick and the infection cleared. It is 6 months today since my operation and I'm going back to work tomorrow. The whole experience has been awful and I have lost so much confidence that I wish I hadn't had it done. On the plus side the knee is pain free but I am struggling with the bend and hope that it will improve. Think very carefully before having a TKR. I am constantly being told I was unlucky, and I walk and move around much better now. Don't be blinded by the pain, listen to the risks.

Comment from: Man frm Omaha, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 51 year old male here. I had screening colonoscopy yesterday. I hydrated heavily during the day before staring the colon cleansing. Drinking the stuff wasn't bad, it was a little sweet but I just did it. First batch was no problem. I kept hydrating the whole time. Second batch, by the time my colon was empty, it felt like I was passing battery acid. Thank goodness for Destin diaper rash ointment. I should have started with that at the beginning. I kept hydrating until bedtime, slept through the night well. I passed some more liquid upon waking. I got some Versed and some Demerol, but oddly I was awake watching the procedure on the screen the whole time. No pain in the least. Done in 10 minutes and home 45 minutes later. I kept hydrating, golfed 9 holes that afternoon. The key is hydration. Keep drinking. Plus I'm a big guy and I assume my colon is the size of a sewer pipe, which has to make it easier. All in all, no sweat.

Comment from: Elizabeth52, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had my first colonoscopy 6 days ago. It was horrible! They gave me Demerol and Versed, apparently not enough. I did feel a little spaced out, but remember everything. When I started fighting them because of the pain, the nurse held me down. Apparently the conscious sedative (which is what I had, doesn't work too well on some people). I don't understand why they didn't give me more medication, when I screamed out to stop and that it was hurting. People, if you plan on having this done, go to a doctor that will totally put you out. This can be dangerous when the patient is fighting it and I'm just fortunate that my colon wasn't punctured. My trust in the medical profession is smashed, and I feel it was abuse. Wish I could give the doctor and nurse a colonoscopy after making them drink one single beer. That was about the effect of this sedative on me. Wow! I'm just horrified! I will be informing my family and friends about this and not to go there! Hope this helps some people!

Comment from: Pythoness, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had my second colonoscopy yesterday, a routine screening. I had had one 11 years previous to confirm a diagnosis of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Both times I was lightly sedated and could remember the procedure; the first time my IV wasn't working properly and the second time I requested no Versed. This was because about ten years ago I had an endoscopy with Versed. They thought they were doing me a favor by heavily drugging me; the partial amnesia was terrible for me (obviously this is not the case for everyone). All I could remember from the procedure was someone telling me to breathe when I was gagging, and for the next six weeks I had symptoms of PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder). I dreamed of being raped and strangled and woke up trying to scream, I had to leave work twice because I was unable to stop crying. As a result I've been terrified of having to have the same anesthesia again. I discussed this with everyone who would listen, and the anesthetist said he'd never heard of anything like it, but I feel much better being able to remember things in sequence, even the painful parts. I was also kind of interested in watching the screen. I had some pretty intense pain when they navigated through the lower bowel; I have diverticulosis and following a couple of attacks of diverticulitis there is some scar tissue and sensitivity. It was probably about six on a scale of ten, but only lasted a few minutes. They offered me more sedation, which I refused. I have mild soreness in the lower left quadrant today, which is not surprising. Other than that it went well. I had one attack of dry heaves on the way home which ended after I brought up a little clear fluid, no idea what that was. The staff were astonished at how 'awake' I was afterward, but for me this is hugely preferable. It's not a one-size-fits-all procedure, and I'm delighted they listened and responded to my concerns. I had one small polyp removed, which the doctor says is benign but is likely to be pre-cancerous, so I'm glad to have that gone.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?