Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Donna did it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first colonoscopy when I was 42, because of family history. They did not put me to sleep back then, no problems at all, just lots of gas in recovery room, so much that I had other people behind their curtains laughing at me. Now I hear they put you to sleep which does frighten me. But we have to do what we have to do. I am now 51 my father died of colon cancer in 2011, so this is nothing to play with. Get your screening.

Comment from: J. Thom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 14

The first bowel preparation for colonoscopy I ever did was when I was in the Air Force. They gave me castor oil. That made the GoLytely a walk in the park. I began at 1 PM the day before the procedure. I had the 4 liter jug and drank 8 ounces every 10 minutes. It took about an hour before it began working. You should head for the bathroom at the first indication because things start happening pretty quickly. I had no cramps at all. The nurse who briefed me had me do a warm water enema at bed time and at least 2 times the next morning or until the discharge was clear. My bowel was clean and I slept through the procedure. It was not unpleasant at all. I have had several at 5 year intervals and plan to continue having this necessary procedure. Colonoscopies save lives!

Comment from: Dutchess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a colonoscopy. About 5 days or so later I felt cramping and dull ache in my back, then it wrapped around my groin. I had sciatic, and femoral nerve pain. I had the procedure done in January of this year and still have pain, especially the femoral nerve. It feels like a charcoal lighter lit to my nerve. The pain is constant.

Comment from: dino mango, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and the worst part was I developed a bad rash probably due to the preparation. My skin is very irritated to the point where I dread wiping myself after a bowel movement as it is very painful, and I have minor bleeding. My suggestion is to prepare the anal area before the prep by using Desitin or Vaseline to coat the area before doing the prep. The procedure itself went fast and I didn't feel a thing. Most painful part was the prep.

Comment from: Goldie1950, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

Please do not worry if you have to have a colonoscopy. I had one done yesterday. The preparation for the procedure involved a low residue diet for 2 days prior to bowel preparation. For the prep you drink a liter of salty/lemony solution twice over 24 hours. This totally empties your bowel. It also means no food and clear fluid only to drink for about 30 hours, not as bad as it sounds! The procedure involves lying on left side and the insertion of a long thin tube rectally. I underwent all of this without any pain relief and it was quite bearable. The doctor did give me an injection of Buscopan 10 mg which is a smooth muscle relaxant, to relax bowel muscles to ease procedure. I was on my way home 1/2 hour later. Please do not be afraid of having this procedure done. It's worth it, believe me.

Comment from: Steve, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

After suffering much pain I had my total knee replacement (TKR) in November 2014. The operation went well and I went home after 4 days. I felt I was doing well although the wound wasn't healing and kept oozing. I went regularly to physiotherapy and my bend was improving. I also had my clips removed and attended for dressing changes, as the wound continued to ooze. During the 4th week the oozing became much worse and smelly and I started to feel very ill with a high temperature and vomiting. I was admitted back into hospital where the joint was washed out. The result was a very serious life threatening infection which needed antibiotic treatment and a 6 week stay in hospital. Fortunately the antibiotics did the trick and the infection cleared. It is 6 months today since my operation and I'm going back to work tomorrow. The whole experience has been awful and I have lost so much confidence that I wish I hadn't had it done. On the plus side the knee is pain free but I am struggling with the bend and hope that it will improve. Think very carefully before having a TKR. I am constantly being told I was unlucky, and I walk and move around much better now. Don't be blinded by the pain, listen to the risks.

Comment from: Man frm Omaha, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 51 year old male here. I had screening colonoscopy yesterday. I hydrated heavily during the day before staring the colon cleansing. Drinking the stuff wasn't bad, it was a little sweet but I just did it. First batch was no problem. I kept hydrating the whole time. Second batch, by the time my colon was empty, it felt like I was passing battery acid. Thank goodness for Destin diaper rash ointment. I should have started with that at the beginning. I kept hydrating until bedtime, slept through the night well. I passed some more liquid upon waking. I got some Versed and some Demerol, but oddly I was awake watching the procedure on the screen the whole time. No pain in the least. Done in 10 minutes and home 45 minutes later. I kept hydrating, golfed 9 holes that afternoon. The key is hydration. Keep drinking. Plus I'm a big guy and I assume my colon is the size of a sewer pipe, which has to make it easier. All in all, no sweat.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?