Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had my first colonoscopy this morning at 8.30AM. I mixed the Miralax with 64oz of Gatorade lemon/lime yesterday and drank it all in 2 hours. Then I took my 4 Bisacodyl with 8oz of water. I was in and out of the bathroom most of that day. I was very nervous when I went in because I never had a colonoscopy before. They gave me something to relax me in my IV. I walked into the operation room, jumped on the table and laid on my side and next thing I knew I was in the recovering room. They found 3 polyps that were benign. I have to go back in 5 years and I won't be scared like I was today.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a colonoscopy last Tuesday and I started bleeding in my stools on Friday and Saturday. I went to the bathroom Sunday morning, felt faint and went white with eyes rolling; I was cool, clammy and sweating. I passed a lot of blood in stool and the ambulance took me to the hospital and I had 4 pints of blood. My hemoglobin is at 8.88 now, the highest was a ten. They gave me something to drink so I would have a bowel movement; first two were a little bloody, then it cleared up. I am home from hospital now.

Comment from: mikkim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had my first colonoscopy today at 50 years old, which I procrastinated on for several years even though my dad had colon cancer. I was dreading the test but also the fasting (since I am hypoglycemic). I realize that everyone is different but it is no big deal! Even the prep. My advice would be to choose a doctor that will use propofol to knock you out (an anesthesiologist does it) and that will have you use the Dulcolax/Miralax/Gatorade prep. Most of my cleansing happened 3 hours after taking the Dulcolax tabs, and the Miralax has no flavor so it just tasted like I was drinking regular Gatorade. I was doing things around the house between bathroom trips and it was NO big deal at all. I would suggest eating lightly for two or three days before, which is what I did. It probably made it much easier. I was not glued to the toilet for one or two hours or more. The fasting wasn't even a problem for my blood sugar. I had the upper and lower endoscopy (which is down the throat and the colonoscopy). You wake up when it's all done, so relax!

Comment from: jengelbells78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I"m 35 and tomorrow is my first colonoscopy as well as EGD. My preparation was today, using Gavilyte. I really wish I was told to start this sooner than what they told me. I did end up starting it two hours before I was told and I am glad I did, but still think it would have been better if I started even earlier. The original time was 5 pm and 5 am the day of procedure. But then on the instructions it says nothing by mouth, including liquids 5 hours before the procedure. Anyway, it"s 9 pm and I"m just barely at the "yellow" point. The Gavilyte is so nasty. A lemon packet came with it that made it a little bit more tolerable, along with putting an ice cube in it and drinking through a straw. I'm not sure how much more I can take. I hope I"m cleaned out enough for this to happen.

Comment from: amrcnbut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a colonoscopy, the nicest experience, the staff was courteous and professional and the doctor was very informative. It went fine and the next thing I remember was the nurse saying it was over. Since my father died from colon cancer I have one every 5 years starting at 55. I"m looking forward to my next one when I'm 70.

Comment from: Larryt39, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a colonoscopy on Tuesday. It went well, with removal of 3 polyps, and then two days later, I developed pain under my right rib cage. It's a burning sensation, it's been about 24 hours since this pain started. Not sure if there is an actual issue, or it is part of the recovery. I didn't have any polyps with my first test 10 years ago.

Comment from: Danny, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I had the usual preparation the day before with the Duolax and Miralax with Gatorade the day before; no problems there. The IV and propofol was administered, and before I knew it I was awake and finished. I had 3 polyps removed and will know the results in a few weeks. The staff were great and I am at home just a little groggy.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?