Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: DivaGirl1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I tried to take MoviPrep last night. I did the Dulcolax at 3 pm and 4 pm. No problem, but the solution was a killer, and I threw up. Never again. I had to cancel my colonoscopy procedure which is not a good idea since my hematocrit came back positive. So I have rescheduled it, and will take the magnesium citrate.

Comment from: mikeC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Today, I had my first colonoscopy. The preparation was humiliating as expected. GoLytely didn't taste all that horrible. I read online about how sedation wasn't really necessary. The staff looked at me a little weird but didn't argue. I was surprised at how painless the procedure began and much more surprised at how painful it became. I swear I bit through the pillow lining. I was relieved when the doctor said the worst was over. And guess what! There were still 10 more minutes of agony as he prodded this way and that. I aged a full year in the process and will never go it again without sedation.

Comment from: Gary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I had my first colonoscopy 2 days ago. I was always afraid to get one before. The preparation was nowhere as bad as I heard. The test was literally a piece of cake. I was sedated and felt nothing. I woke up fully alert with no after effects except for bloating. This was gone within an hour after passing gas. No diet restrictions. Great relief, test showed nothing abnormal. Great staff who cared about the patients.

Comment from: Bren1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

This was my 3rd colonoscopy over 12 years or so. My brother died of colon cancer. He held off on treatment and passed at the young age of 49. This was the easiest preparation so far. I have chronic kidney disease. I went from stage 3 in December 2014 to stage 2 now (improved). Prep drinking solution was powder brand Perrigo polyethylene glycol 3350 that I had to mix with 1/2 gallon water in a jug provided to me. The liquid was as clear as water and barely had any taste to it. If you choose you can mix with a clear Gatorade. On my own, I researched prior to all of this and stopped eating all fruits and vegetables 3 days prior to colonoscopy, so doctor doesn't have to clean off colon. On the day before, as instructed, I stopped eating all solid food and only took in clear items. Jell-O, broth, water, and allowed myself 1 cup tea. That day at 10 am I took 2 small orange laxatives, again at 12 noon took 2 orange pills, and at 4:00 pm I started drinking the solution. Probably within 1 hour I had my 1st bowel movement. (Exam was scheduled for next day at 11:00 am). I probably went 4 or 5 more times (sore). A little more late evening. Day of the exam I had to take the 16 oz. of solution that I had to set aside in fridge. Nurse instructed me to ignore time noted on sheet and take as early as possible, which I did. I went just a little more. Once I arrived at colonoscopy exam location I was administered propofol 250 mg. No kidding, I was out like a light as soon as it was shot into the IV line. I don't recall anything about my colonoscopy. I woke up quicker and more alert than my prior 2 colonoscopy experiences. I was diagnosed with diverticulosis (mild) of sigmoid and descending colon, and internal hemorrhoids. The reason for my grooves in stool is the contours of my bowels. Downside to propofol which is the only anesthesia the place uses nowadays is that the following morning I had the worst brain fog or case of no brain. Then I couldn't walk, I staggered and had fuzzy head. I did tell the doctor's office and my nurse practitioner. If you look up side effects this does fit the bill. Don't fear the colonoscopy, it may save your life. One minute you are in the room getting the IV set up, next you are waking up in recovery. You won't even know you had it. I had no after effects of the experience. Good luck all.

Comment from: SeaTac777, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am a 38 year old female who just had my first colonoscopy. I woke up twice. The first time I was on my back and my legs were being held back. I remember screaming and begging them to stop. I was totally disoriented because the last thing I remember was turning on my left side. The pain was excruciating. The second time I was on my side and was repeatedly told that it would be over soon. I just remember crying for what seemed like an eternity. Fortunately, nothing was discovered during the procedure despite the two positive fecal blood tests, so I was incredibly relieved just to be done with it. I was told the procedure would be a snap and the preparation was the worst part. I thought I would be put out for the entire procedure.

Comment from: Sellson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had my second colonoscopy today. The first was 9 years ago by the same doctor. The first time, I woke up because we used too little Versed. This time I studied and asked the doctor to increase the dosage. I actually wanted propofol but this doctor uses Versed and Demerol. The preparation this time was great. The first time I cramped during the middle of the night. This time I also started the prep 24 hours early. We used Dulcolax and Miralax. I got very dehydrated and when they tried to find a vein it was difficult; I had two sticks. I was partially awake the whole procedure. I wish he had started the Demerol sooner to relax me. Overall, I was very happy with the doctor, nursing staff and registration process. Having my nurse wife with me was a huge help as were the wishes from friends. Really quite easy and a positive experience!

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?