Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am having post colonoscopy pain in left side. I"ve read this from other people posting their questions, but haven"t read any advice/remedies, I had the procedure 5/5. It is 5/10. No other symptoms but some slight bloating.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was told l wouldn"t remember anything, it was very painful, the doctor said it was because they were going around a corner. I had both the pain relief plus the sedative. They even gave more pain relief to help, it is still painful, this morning. I feel as though someone has been kicking me in the stomach.

Comment from: Roll11tide, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a colonoscopy today. The doctor told me how things would go. He gave me some type of drug in my IV. I went out and half way through the procedure I woke up and all I saw was the colon TV screen, it totally freaked me out. I was so awake I remember him pointing at my IV and snapping his fingers and saying give him 250 more mgs. After that I was out cold. I finally woke up and according to my wife I was saying some crazy things. Only 20 minutes after I woke up, I was wide awake no hangover drug effect. I only feel just a little soreness in my lower abdominal region. The operation went smooth. The first night I took all of the liquid flush, it didn"t work so I had to reschedule. The doctor ordered me a different flush and by the time that was gone I was in miserable pain on the toilet for about 18 hours. The doctor said I still wasn"t all the way clean, weird. After no food for 3 days my blood pressure was 99 over 59 really low. After the procedure I ate and ate I"m just glad it"s over. It"s not as bad as you would think. The procedure took only 45 minutes and 30 minutes of recovery which I did not need.

Comment from: WinnMacKinnon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had two colonoscopies due to strong family history of colon cancer. First one went very well, preparation was Phospho soda, quick and easy. I was sedated for procedure, didn't feel a thing, woke up and went out to lunch. I had my second colonoscopy today, very different experience. Entire GoLytely preparation was a gallon of salty disgustingness which caused nausea and I was up half the night. Different doctor and a totally different experience. My sedation made me slightly sleepy but I was not asleep, felt everything. At one point as they were pressing on my belly to make the scope turn a corner the pain was so unbelievably intense that try as I did not to, I starting crying out and yelling stop. I was panting and crying and this is totally not like me. It was a nightmare I was not expecting. The nurse said to me "I don't know why you're not asleep, you've had all the drugs" but I remember every second. I'm never going through that again and I urge everyone to think twice about doing this procedure.

Comment from: ooairuhhoo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was an absolute wreck the week before the colonoscopy. I have a family history of colon cancer, so a screening was needed. I took two laxative tabs at 4pm on day before procedure. Six o' clock came the first 32oz Gatorade Miralax mixture. Doesn't taste too horrible, but since I already hate Gatorade, it was hard to finish. A couple hours later I start to feel more and more nauseated, I became pale, and had to run to the bathroom, and I started to feel weak. I began throwing up a lot before the bowel movements began. This was going on for about fifteen minutes. It was the worst part of the whole experience. Spent all night running to the bathroom. I finished the second Gatorade mix at 7:45 the next morning; lots more bathroom time. Off to the procedure where I was crying and scared. The nurses were so nice and funny, and once they gave me the IV I don't remember anything. I woke up and they told me it was time to get up. All in all, the preparation was the worst part. I was so scared for nothing.

Comment from: Caz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had my second colonoscopy done four days ago. I said the last one was painful and needed more pain relief this time. I had midazolam, which was absolutely useless. The pain was unbearable all the way through. Even though I had gas and air. I screamed all through it, used gas and air all through it. I heard the nurse on few occasions say I think you ought to stop, it's too painful for her. But they carried on. I have had two babies and one with just gas and air weighing 9 stone 5oz and never experienced pain like this. Never again will I have this done.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?