Patient Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Comment from: LN100, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have had several colonoscopies due to my ulcerative colitis and the last 3 have all been very easy. Ask for the Gatorade/Miralax preparation as it was the best one I have tried. I did the preparation last night and was doing things around the house the whole time. I had my colonoscopy this morning with a fast-acting drug (like propofol) at about 8:45 and was out and on my way to get breakfast by 10:30. I had no pain or memory of the procedure and just some gas now. Otherwise, a very easy procedure; most doctors have more than one choice of preparation, so ask if you want something different. The first time, I had to drink magnesium citrate and it was awful, so I asked for a different one and the Miralax mixed with a sports drink was much better and the electrolytes in the Gatorade/Propel will help keep your energy up. Good luck!

Comment from: Wasted Worries, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had my first colonoscopy a few weeks back and like everyone else I was nervous only to find that the worries were a waste of time. I chose not to be sedated and go with the pain medicines and it was pain free except for turning one corner and pumping air, when I felt a sharp cramping pain that only lasted a few seconds but very tolerable. As far as the preparation, well, I won't say it tasted ok as it didn't but in my own opinion it really wasn't all that bad. I used the chug-it-down method followed by sucking on a lemon and honestly it's not as bad as what some are saying. I hope this helps with any jitters for those of you facing your first colonoscopy. Nothing to get worked up about. Besides the peace of mind is well worth it.

Comment from: mikeC, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Today, I had my first colonoscopy. The preparation was humiliating as expected. GoLytely didn't taste all that horrible. I read online about how sedation wasn't really necessary. The staff looked at me a little weird but didn't argue. I was surprised at how painless the procedure began and much more surprised at how painful it became. I swear I bit through the pillow lining. I was relieved when the doctor said the worst was over. And guess what! There were still 10 more minutes of agony as he prodded this way and that. I aged a full year in the process and will never go it again without sedation.

Comment from: Gary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I had my first colonoscopy 2 days ago. I was always afraid to get one before. The preparation was nowhere as bad as I heard. The test was literally a piece of cake. I was sedated and felt nothing. I woke up fully alert with no after effects except for bloating. This was gone within an hour after passing gas. No diet restrictions. Great relief, test showed nothing abnormal. Great staff who cared about the patients.

Comment from: Bren1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

This was my 3rd colonoscopy over 12 years or so. My brother died of colon cancer. He held off on treatment and passed at the young age of 49. This was the easiest preparation so far. I have chronic kidney disease. I went from stage 3 in December 2014 to stage 2 now (improved). Prep drinking solution was powder brand Perrigo polyethylene glycol 3350 that I had to mix with 1/2 gallon water in a jug provided to me. The liquid was as clear as water and barely had any taste to it. If you choose you can mix with a clear Gatorade. On my own, I researched prior to all of this and stopped eating all fruits and vegetables 3 days prior to colonoscopy, so doctor doesn't have to clean off colon. On the day before, as instructed, I stopped eating all solid food and only took in clear items. Jell-O, broth, water, and allowed myself 1 cup tea. That day at 10 am I took 2 small orange laxatives, again at 12 noon took 2 orange pills, and at 4:00 pm I started drinking the solution. Probably within 1 hour I had my 1st bowel movement. (Exam was scheduled for next day at 11:00 am). I probably went 4 or 5 more times (sore). A little more late evening. Day of the exam I had to take the 16 oz. of solution that I had to set aside in fridge. Nurse instructed me to ignore time noted on sheet and take as early as possible, which I did. I went just a little more. Once I arrived at colonoscopy exam location I was administered propofol 250 mg. No kidding, I was out like a light as soon as it was shot into the IV line. I don't recall anything about my colonoscopy. I woke up quicker and more alert than my prior 2 colonoscopy experiences. I was diagnosed with diverticulosis (mild) of sigmoid and descending colon, and internal hemorrhoids. The reason for my grooves in stool is the contours of my bowels. Downside to propofol which is the only anesthesia the place uses nowadays is that the following morning I had the worst brain fog or case of no brain. Then I couldn't walk, I staggered and had fuzzy head. I did tell the doctor's office and my nurse practitioner. If you look up side effects this does fit the bill. Don't fear the colonoscopy, it may save your life. One minute you are in the room getting the IV set up, next you are waking up in recovery. You won't even know you had it. I had no after effects of the experience. Good luck all.

Colonoscopy - Preparation Question: What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?