Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Treatments

What was the treatment for your colon polyps?

Comment from: BenThere55, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am female senior citizen. Always been very active exercise all the time. Just had a Colonoscopy last week and they found an Adenoma 18cm. I hemorrhaged afterward and was in terrible pain for 24 hours. I have a family history of colon cancer. I am concerned as my Gastroenterologist after Pathology report said do Colonoscopy in year is going with that. I have read numerous reports that with this type of Polyp you need to have a Colonoscopy in 3-6 months as some times it is hard to remove all of it. My Physician is resisting this. I am going for second opinion. Very distressed about this. Have lost 3 aunts and my sister has had malignant Polyps.

Comment from: jeny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am a 38 year old who has had about 4 colonoscopies. With each test I have had at least 4 polyps removed non-cancerous. My symptoms were gas bloating constipation since a child. I had blood in my stool went to see a gastro md. Then since been doing a repeat exam every 2 years. No family history seems to be I'm the only one so far. I believe I was about 30 yrs. Old at the first visit with a gastro md. Early diagnosis is the true key to prevent colon cancer. Now I'm wondering if my children 1 who is 20yrs and 1 who is 12 yrs. I do know maroon blood is from the higher part of the colon and causes allot of concern whereas red blood is from the lower colon and could be many things.

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had a lot of bleeding last summer and started investigation leading to a colonoscopy and removal of a large benign cyst and 3 adenomas near the cecum. Luckily due to number of adenomas I was booked in for a repeat after 1 year. This has just been done and discovered 1 very small cancerous polyp. There was no certainty of clearance of the biopsy so I was given the choice of early monitor or bowel re-section. I have chosen the bowel re-section as the less risky long term approach as there are no guarantees that further cancerous polyps will not appear. This issue is totally out of the blue as I am otherwise very healthy, not overweight, don't drink heavily and have no family history. The early discovery of this cancer was purely by chance for which I am very grateful.

Comment from: Michael, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I'm a 50-year-old male, a non-smoker, I play plenty of sports, eat fruits and vegetables, and am not overweight. I went in for a checkup and was totally surprised when the doctor found a 2-3 cm polyp, which he removed. I'm waiting for biopsy results, which will be available in about three days. The doctor wants me back within a year to remove the others under general anesthesia. I'm a bit worried at the moment.

Comment from: Marian, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a 74 year old female. I just had a colonoscopy done and they found 5 polyps. One was 20cm. The lab results came back and there were no cancer cells. The doctor wants a colonoscopy repeated in 3 months. I am just wondering if it is unusual to have it done in 3 months.

Comment from: Grandma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 24

What was the treatment for your Colon Polyps? I have had polyps in previous colonoscopies but last year there were 7 tubular adenoma. My sister died from colon cancer at 45. I am now 76 but I will get one every year now (if Medicare will pay for it) as that is not a pleasant way to die. I am in perfect health other than that. A lot of it is attitude and not worrying but being careful.

Comment from: Isimo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I had colonoscopy a year ago, and three polyps were found and removed. A few days later, I was told they were benign. I was told my next colonoscopy won't be until after five years.

Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience Question: Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?