Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: LS650, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have no obvious symptoms of colon polyps. My grandfather died of colon cancer at 83. Father had some precancerous polyps removed last summer at age 73. I had a FIT (fecal immunochemical test), stool sample test after turning 50, and the result was abnormal. I went in for a colonoscopy and they found three polyps, two fairly small and one about 10 mm wide. Now I am waiting for biopsy but expect good news. Likely I will have to re-scope in a couple of years.

Comment from: Katy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

My mother and brother both passed away with colon cancer, and my niece had her colon removed permanently. I had 25 polyps removed 6 months ago, and have to reschedule because more are growing but they have to grow big enough to remove.

Comment from: Sally, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 15

My father had polyps; mother may have had them also. Mine is a single duodenal polyp, one tubular adenoma, 2nd part, 15 mm.

Comment from: Karthik, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my first colonoscopy and three adenomatous polyps (tubular adenomas) around 5 mm were removed at age 38. My father was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 76. The cancer was metastasized to only one of the lymph nodes and he had a small part of the colon removed. He is perfectly healthy now and has been cancer free for the past three years. Now I seriously wonder why almost all of the articles and the doctors say we should start screening with a colonoscopy 10 years before the age at which your first degree relative was diagnosed.

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had colon cancer and surgery. I had no risk factors prior to the discovery of cancer. No cancer in my family and I had no indications that I had cancer; no pain or other signs, except low blood count.

Comment from: Berta, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 20

At 50, I had colonoscopy, and all good. At 60 and a fecal test showing blood, I had a 2nd one. IU have diverticulitis, I understand that is normal for my age; and 1 polyp, tubular adenoma. I was told I had to be rechecked in 3 months. Most people say 1 year. I am not sure why only 3 months.

Comment from: dave, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

Over the years I have gone to one doctor and have had three colonoscopies. Each time he told me that I have polyps but they were non-cancerous. But he never removed them. A few day after the procedures I began having the same constipation problems I had prior to the procedures. I wonder why, since they were not cancerous, he didn't remove them. It's almost like he's cultivating them in order to make sure patients return. Right or wrongly I have decided to try to reduce the size of the polyps through natural healing.

Comment from: Kevin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I just had a 6 centimeter polyp removed from my rectum/colon. I'm only 33, I'm kind of freaking out waiting on lab results. The doctor showed it to me, it was huge. My wife started crying.

Comment from: AZmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My mother was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 58. My primary care physician said I didn't need a colonoscopy until 48. I went to a specialist anyway because I had used my 10K deductible and 5K out of pocket. That doctor said the rule was to test at age 40 or 10 years earlier than relative's diagnosis whatever is sooner. I had no symptoms, but 5 polyps were removed. My mom is alive 13 years later because her cancer was removed after shrinking it first with radiation and chemotherapy.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?