Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: Sally, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 15

My father had polyps; mother may have had them also. Mine is a single duodenal polyp, one tubular adenoma, 2nd part, 15 mm.

Comment from: Karthik, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my first colonoscopy and three adenomatous polyps (tubular adenomas) around 5 mm were removed at age 38. My father was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 76. The cancer was metastasized to only one of the lymph nodes and he had a small part of the colon removed. He is perfectly healthy now and has been cancer free for the past three years. Now I seriously wonder why almost all of the articles and the doctors say we should start screening with a colonoscopy 10 years before the age at which your first degree relative was diagnosed.

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had colon cancer and surgery. I had no risk factors prior to the discovery of cancer. No cancer in my family and I had no indications that I had cancer; no pain or other signs, except low blood count.

Comment from: AZmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My mother was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 58. My primary care physician said I didn't need a colonoscopy until 48. I went to a specialist anyway because I had used my 10K deductible and 5K out of pocket. That doctor said the rule was to test at age 40 or 10 years earlier than relative's diagnosis whatever is sooner. I had no symptoms, but 5 polyps were removed. My mom is alive 13 years later because her cancer was removed after shrinking it first with radiation and chemotherapy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a colonoscopy in 2010 which showed a few polyps that were not removed. I was told I had diverticulitis and that I would be followed up in 5 years. Since then I lost my beloved sister to bowel cancer which spread to her liver, lungs and pancreas. I informed my general physician and my District Health Board but feel I am not being considered as high risk.

Comment from: fred snurt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a colonoscopy 2 and a half years ago at the age of 51. They removed 25 various sized polyps almost for 2 hours; not fun. Four were suspected ready to turn ugly. I had a second one 11 months later for checkup, and another 20 new ones were found and removed. I was told it was not a good sign and the chances of bowel cancer were very high risk. I am going to have another one in a few weeks, I am down to 6 month checkups now.

Comment from: Howie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I just had colonoscopy after the last 1 year ago. I had no colon polyps back then. This time there were 6 from 6 mm to 20 mm. They took them out and sent for a pathology report. I was worried to death. Thank goodness I got it back today and there were no cancer cells found. I won't wait so long again. Go get one if you have not had one.

Comment from: Mj65, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have just had a 6 mm polyp removed after having a clear colonoscopy 15 months ago.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?