Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: Karthik, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my first colonoscopy and three adenomatous polyps (tubular adenomas) around 5 mm were removed at age 38. My father was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 76. The cancer was metastasized to only one of the lymph nodes and he had a small part of the colon removed. He is perfectly healthy now and has been cancer free for the past three years. Now I seriously wonder why almost all of the articles and the doctors say we should start screening with a colonoscopy 10 years before the age at which your first degree relative was diagnosed.

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had colon cancer and surgery. I had no risk factors prior to the discovery of cancer. No cancer in my family and I had no indications that I had cancer; no pain or other signs, except low blood count.

Comment from: AZmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My mother was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 58. My primary care physician said I didn't need a colonoscopy until 48. I went to a specialist anyway because I had used my 10K deductible and 5K out of pocket. That doctor said the rule was to test at age 40 or 10 years earlier than relative's diagnosis whatever is sooner. I had no symptoms, but 5 polyps were removed. My mom is alive 13 years later because her cancer was removed after shrinking it first with radiation and chemotherapy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I had a colonoscopy in 2010 which showed a few polyps that were not removed. I was told I had diverticulitis and that I would be followed up in 5 years. Since then I lost my beloved sister to bowel cancer which spread to her liver, lungs and pancreas. I informed my general physician and my District Health Board but feel I am not being considered as high risk.

Comment from: Junegirl99, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a 34 year old female. I have recently seen a gastroenterologist due to blood and mucus in my stool that I had been experiencing for about 6 months to a year. The gastroenterologist ordered a colonoscopy. During the colonoscopy he found a 12 to 13 mm pedunculated 'tubulovillous adenoma' (benign) polyp. I know these are somewhat rare for my age. I will now have to have a follow up colonoscopy in 3 years (I plan to try to get one sooner though). My grandmother died from colon cancer at age 78. My mom and dad have never had colonoscopies and are in their 50s. Although they have no gastrointestinal symptoms, I'm encouraging them to get colonoscopies since I had an adenoma at an early age.

Comment from: mibonlyme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

At 55, I had a 6 mm polyp removed from the sigmoid colon three years ago. I just received a reminder for a follow up colonoscopy.

Comment from: vicky k., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 46 and six months ago I had a colonoscopy and they removed 3 polyps one was level 4 cancer cells. I was told to have another scope in 6 months which was last Thursday, where they found 4 more. Now I am waiting for the pathology report. And wondering how worried I should be that they came back so soon. Also my grandmother died from rectal cancer. Any help I can get on this would be great.

Comment from: Christie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I am 42, just had my first colonoscopy due to hemorrhoids and mild rectal bleeding. I have an aunt who had colon cancer at 47 years old. They found, and removed, two polyps, one 8 mm and one 15 mm. Due to the 15 mm one, I have to have a repeat colonoscopy in a year. Now I have to wait for the pathology results.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?