Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: MaMa Kim 65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have a strong family history of colon cancer and polyps. I have a colonoscopy every 2 years. I usually have 5 maybe 6 polyps. This time I had 40; they"re very small and my doctor removed almost half of them. Waiting on the biopsy results. I'm wondering if I will have to have my colon removed. My mom had hers removed several years ago. She had between 50 and 100 polyps. Her dad, younger sister both died of colon cancer before they were 60, also my great uncle passed around the same age of colon cancer.

Comment from: heusdenssi30, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My mother died at 50 of colon cancer. My father's mother died around 70, of colon cancer. I have been screened twice, at 40 and 43; I had 5 colon polyps the first time. The second time, I had 3 colon polyps. None of the polyps where cancerous! I am almost 46 going to my third screen consulting to have this done again. I hope it will be good news again.

Comment from: Cancer Advocate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 42-year-old female who just had a second colonoscopy, and a polyp was found. I began getting colonoscopies at 39 and was told to have one every three years because my father died of colon cancer at age 52, one of my uncles had rectal cancer, and another uncle had polyps. The first colonoscopy I had found no polyps, but this one did, and I am waiting for biopsy results. I would recommend a colonoscopy to anyone. It saves lives. The most uncomfortable part is the prep the day before, but it is such a small price to pay for a life-saving procedure.

Comment from: Alex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had my colonoscopy performed today. I am 33 years old and I had been asking my doctor to get checked for the past year or so. My mother was diagnosed in February of 2008 with colon cancer at age 63 and died in May. Since then, I really have been insisting even though my doctor kept saying that I was too young. He referred me to a specialist. Other then the 4L Klean Prep that I had to drink, everything went very well. It was quick and nicely done! My doctor found two polyps and removed them, so I am glad I went, and now I am good for the next five years. Get checked!

Comment from: smith, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I got a colonoscopy back in September when I was 16. The doctor told me I had hemorrhoids and a couple of polyps that he removed. I got the colonoscopy because I had rectal bleeding that had been getting worse, not severe, but worse than it was. My great-grandmother had polyps, so it was hereditary. They were only about 1 or 2 centimeters. He told me to come back to get another colonoscopy in three years. A few hours ago, I was having diarrhea, and the first thing that I saw was blood. I'm going to make a doctor's appointment to see what her options for me are, as I am pretty confused.

Comment from: morefun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My occult blood test was positive. My dad has had 2 colonoscopies in 3 years with 2 to 3 small polyps each time at age 75. He was told they were pre cancer. I went in for my first colonoscopy this week at 58 and they found and removed 12. Ten were 1 to 2 cm in size and 1 was 10 to 12 cm while the bleeder was 22 to 24 and was removed with the scope being pulled. They said something about rooting. A clip was placed on it. It took two hours and 45 minutes, unsedated due to cardiac and apnea issues. It is still well worth the pain. I'm just waiting for the biopsy results. Get checked people!

Comment from: pat (grandmashort), 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have just been told that I have a very large precancerous colon polyp that they couldn't remove because of how large it is. The doctor also said that they had to use a child scope because they couldn't get it in so they had to also put me on my back and the nurses had to push on my stomach because my colon is all twisted because of the polyp.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?