Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Published: June 17

I ended up having two small tubular adenoma polyps, and I'm only 36. My mother and maternal grandmother had polyps as well that were removed in their 50s. The only indication something was wrong was a tiny bit of blood in the stool. I would recommend earlier screenings (colonoscopy) if you have a first-degree relative who had polyps removed. If I'd waited another 14 years as the literature suggests, it could've been very bad by that point. And the colonoscopy procedure itself is not bad at all.

Published: June 13

Bloating, dark stools, nausea, episodic diarrhea-constipation, sometimes loss of appetite, very hyperactive bowel sounds.

Published: June 10

Nausea, bloating, loss of appetite, black stool, weight loss.

Comment from: englishrose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a colonoscopy 18 months ago at the age of 52 and had one small polyp. I was told to return in 10 years by my GI MD. Around 6 1/2 months ago I developed DCIS in one breast and because of family history breast cancer, had a billet mastectomy and reconstruction. My oncologist reviewed my polyp path and found it to be an adenoma. She strongly advised a 2 to 3yr follow-up colonoscopy. My GI MD disagrees and states 10 yrs is fine, but told me to return in 5 yrs if I was worried. I will be getting the next colonoscopy in 2-3 years from the first one. Better safe than sorry, especially in light of the breast cancer. The only family history I have is breast cancer, and bladder cancer in my father.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?