Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: grateful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my first colonoscopy at age 50. They found one adenomatous polyp and removed it. My doctor said this type of polyp would result in a malignancy down the road. I had no risk factors that I know of, and I am the oldest child, so as far as family history, I am unsure. All the prep in the world to get ready for this test is well worth it. I will get it done again in five years as the doctor recommends.

Comment from: magicpony, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I got large external hemorrhoids overnight, which were very painful. I had to get them surgically removed and then had a routine follow-up colonoscopy. It turned out that I had two polyps, which were removed at the time. Two weeks later, I had rectal bleeding when passing a stool, which was very frightening. I am waiting for a follow-up appointment. My mother died of breast cancer (age 60) and my maternal grandmother of bowel cancer (age 77). I am a fit, healthy 41-year-old. Get checked!

Comment from: Tricia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had no symptoms with my colon polyps. I had a colonoscopy at 46 because my mother (age 62) and aunt (age 59) were both diagnosed with colon cancer. Pre-cancerous polyps were found in my colon and a mass larger than 5 mm was found in the cecum (exactly where cancer was found in my mother and aunt). I'm still awaiting surgery to remove the mass, and then I'll find out if it's cancerous. My siblings (and daughter) were told to have a colonscopy at age 36 (although my daughter will do it earlier because her paternal grandmother and father also have colon cancer). I exercise, eat a low-fat and high-fiber diet. If a family member is diagnosed, don't wait for your own screening!

Comment from: peg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have just had an ultrasound done for my heart burn. The doctor has me on Nexium. During the ultrasound they found that I have polyps on my gallbladder and kidney. My doctor says that they are fine and not to worry but I have to go and have an ultra sound in 6 months with the dye in it. I wonder if I should get a second opinion. I am a little worried that he doesn't want to do a biopsy or anything just to check.

Comment from: pat (grandmashort), 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have just been told that I have a very large precancerous colon polyp that they couldn't remove because of how large it is. The doctor also said that they had to use a child scope because they couldn't get it in so they had to also put me on my back and the nurses had to push on my stomach because my colon is all twisted because of the polyp.

Comment from: cinnamonchick74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Im 38 years old and tomorrow I'm doing my 5th colonoscopy in 8 years. Ive had ulcerative colitis since I turned 30, and my father passed away from colon cancer at 44. My last colonoscopy I had 3 years ago, my doctor removed a polyp that was pre cancerous. My colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow is for severe rectal bleeding. The prep for one has to be one of the worst thing I've ever been through.

Comment from: PowTek, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had family history-type risk factors for colon polyps at the time of my diagnosis. After diagnosis and removal of one rectal and one colon polyp at age 45 or so, I had a 20-year period free of further polyps by colonoscopy. My diet was moderate in fiber, and I took Metamucil daily over the period. This year at age 66, I just had three polyps removed during my colonoscopy. Now I'm pondering how to proceed.

Comment from: Tony, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 43-year-old male. Because of rectal bleeding, a colonoscopy was performed two days ago. The doctor removed what he said was the largest polyp he has ever seen on a man my age. He said that he didn't think it was cancerous. I will see him in three weeks for the results of the cancer screening.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?