Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: pat (grandmashort), 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have just been told that I have a very large precancerous colon polyp that they couldn't remove because of how large it is. The doctor also said that they had to use a child scope because they couldn't get it in so they had to also put me on my back and the nurses had to push on my stomach because my colon is all twisted because of the polyp.

Comment from: cinnamonchick74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Im 38 years old and tomorrow I'm doing my 5th colonoscopy in 8 years. Ive had ulcerative colitis since I turned 30, and my father passed away from colon cancer at 44. My last colonoscopy I had 3 years ago, my doctor removed a polyp that was pre cancerous. My colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow is for severe rectal bleeding. The prep for one has to be one of the worst thing I've ever been through.

Comment from: PowTek, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had family history-type risk factors for colon polyps at the time of my diagnosis. After diagnosis and removal of one rectal and one colon polyp at age 45 or so, I had a 20-year period free of further polyps by colonoscopy. My diet was moderate in fiber, and I took Metamucil daily over the period. This year at age 66, I just had three polyps removed during my colonoscopy. Now I'm pondering how to proceed.

Comment from: Tony, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 43-year-old male. Because of rectal bleeding, a colonoscopy was performed two days ago. The doctor removed what he said was the largest polyp he has ever seen on a man my age. He said that he didn't think it was cancerous. I will see him in three weeks for the results of the cancer screening.

Comment from: Melissa28, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I just had my colonoscopy today, and one polyp was removed. I also found out that I have a really long colon, which may be contributing to my constipation. The procedure to have it removed was a piece of cake, but drinking the solution the night before was not pleasant. I feel relieved that I'm not being given the "you have IBS" diagnosis, but I am a little scared to find out if that polyp is cancerous. My grandmother died from a whole host of colon issues, which is why I was persistent in getting the colonoscopy done at my age: 28.

Comment from: Colo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I am 25 years old and had a colonoscopy yesterday because I was experiencing a lot of abdominal pain and blood in my stools. The physician found internal hemorrhoids as well as a polyp, which he removed. I would recommend getting a colonoscopy as early as possible, if you can. The physician also recommended that my family members should get a colonoscopy.

Comment from: Barb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My risk factor is that colon cancer is common on both my mother and father's side of the family. I am a 40-year-old female. I have had three colonoscopies. The first one was six years ago. Two polyps were found. A year later, another colonoscopy was performed. One polyp was found. Now, five years later, I had a colonoscopy as part of my regular screen and three polyps were removed. My doctor recommends a follow-up colonoscopy in five years. I am nervous that we may be waiting too long for another follow-up.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had my first colonoscopy last week. It was a piece of cake! The doctor found seven polyps. My doctor recommended I have it done because I was passing blood in my stool. As far as I know, no one else in my family has had colon polyps.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?