Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: PowTek, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had family history-type risk factors for colon polyps at the time of my diagnosis. After diagnosis and removal of one rectal and one colon polyp at age 45 or so, I had a 20-year period free of further polyps by colonoscopy. My diet was moderate in fiber, and I took Metamucil daily over the period. This year at age 66, I just had three polyps removed during my colonoscopy. Now I'm pondering how to proceed.

Comment from: Tony, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 43-year-old male. Because of rectal bleeding, a colonoscopy was performed two days ago. The doctor removed what he said was the largest polyp he has ever seen on a man my age. He said that he didn't think it was cancerous. I will see him in three weeks for the results of the cancer screening.

Comment from: Melissa28, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I just had my colonoscopy today, and one polyp was removed. I also found out that I have a really long colon, which may be contributing to my constipation. The procedure to have it removed was a piece of cake, but drinking the solution the night before was not pleasant. I feel relieved that I'm not being given the "you have IBS" diagnosis, but I am a little scared to find out if that polyp is cancerous. My grandmother died from a whole host of colon issues, which is why I was persistent in getting the colonoscopy done at my age: 28.

Comment from: Colo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I am 25 years old and had a colonoscopy yesterday because I was experiencing a lot of abdominal pain and blood in my stools. The physician found internal hemorrhoids as well as a polyp, which he removed. I would recommend getting a colonoscopy as early as possible, if you can. The physician also recommended that my family members should get a colonoscopy.

Comment from: Barb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My risk factor is that colon cancer is common on both my mother and father's side of the family. I am a 40-year-old female. I have had three colonoscopies. The first one was six years ago. Two polyps were found. A year later, another colonoscopy was performed. One polyp was found. Now, five years later, I had a colonoscopy as part of my regular screen and three polyps were removed. My doctor recommends a follow-up colonoscopy in five years. I am nervous that we may be waiting too long for another follow-up.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had my first colonoscopy last week. It was a piece of cake! The doctor found seven polyps. My doctor recommended I have it done because I was passing blood in my stool. As far as I know, no one else in my family has had colon polyps.

Comment from: Reese, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My mother died almost two years ago from liver cancer that had metastasized from her colon. I am 37 years old, and just had my first colonoscopy. The doctor did find and remove a polyp. I was somewhat surprised as I am an avid runner, and I watch what I eat. I am one of seven children, and I am the only one who has had any polyps. I am concerned because I do have some symptoms described, painful gas, bloating, thin stools, and fatigue. I am thinking that I need to advocate a little more for myself.

Published: June 19

I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Every time I ate food I developed gas, bloating, diarrhea and sharp pains.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?