Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: smith, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I got a colonoscopy back in September when I was 16. The doctor told me I had hemorrhoids and a couple of polyps that he removed. I got the colonoscopy because I had rectal bleeding that had been getting worse, not severe, but worse than it was. My great-grandmother had polyps, so it was hereditary. They were only about 1 or 2 centimeters. He told me to come back to get another colonoscopy in three years. A few hours ago, I was having diarrhea, and the first thing that I saw was blood. I'm going to make a doctor's appointment to see what her options for me are, as I am pretty confused.

Comment from: ArmyBrat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I'm 25. One day in August of 2014 I had really bad menstrual/stomach issues. I would be on it for months on and off weeks at a time. So I went in, got an ultrasound done and I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Well, it didn't stop there; I still had pains but worse. I wasn't eating, slept all the time, my body hurt nonstop and I kept gaining weight even though I am highly active. So I went in again and I was told I had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). A few months later and pain still getting worse, I got a CT scan which revealed inflammation in my intestine so I ended up getting a colonoscopy in January and they found a precancerous polyp. I didn't get much detail on how big or how extensive but with my follow up appointment where I got the results, he still didn't say how big, but I was told it was precancerous and if I waited two more years it would've turned into colon cancer. I was shocked because no one in my family has this issue, and no one has died from any cancer that is blood related. Now that the polyp is removed I'm still having horrible pains, my body still hurts all the time, I can't eat without gagging first or feeling sick after, and going to the bathroom is horrible it leads to so much pain. I'm still gaining weight, unlike most people who I hear of losing it. I don't know if the cysts in the ovaries are adding to the weight or not but I am lost for words and so drained I don't know what to do. All this hit me within a 6 month period and it hasn't got better nor has my doctor really helped. I didn't get any medicines other than what I got for the cyst issue which was a ton of birth control, fiber pills (which don't help) and antacid pills (Nexium).

Comment from: morefun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

My occult blood test was positive. My dad has had 2 colonoscopies in 3 years with 2 to 3 small polyps each time at age 75. He was told they were pre cancer. I went in for my first colonoscopy this week at 58 and they found and removed 12. Ten were 1 to 2 cm in size and 1 was 10 to 12 cm while the bleeder was 22 to 24 and was removed with the scope being pulled. They said something about rooting. A clip was placed on it. It took two hours and 45 minutes, unsedated due to cardiac and apnea issues. It is still well worth the pain. I'm just waiting for the biopsy results. Get checked people!

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My paternal grandmother died of colon cancer at the age of 90. My father has had polyps removed. At the age of 35, I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I had been doctoring for six weeks for hemorrhoids, which I was pretty sure I did not have. I was right. I had tried to have a bowel movement and filled the pot with blood instead. My doctor said it was hemorrhoids. He never checked, just assumed because of my age. An occult test came back negative. Luckily, I insisted on a referral where they immediately found the tumor through a digital rectal exam. The tumor, and my rectum, was removed, and I have had no further instances of polyps or cancer. I am now 53. I was having a colonoscopy annually until just a couple of years ago when I was graduated to every three years. Yes, the prep is the worst part, but it is worth every bit of the inconvenience and disgusting stuff you have to drink. My motto is that you know your own body. If something doesn't seem right, go as far as you need to go until you are satisfied with what the doctor says. Get a second opinion if you are unsure.

Comment from: bonko, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I'm 32. I have no family history of colon cancer that I know of. I felt something "odd" in the anal region, so I went to a gastro doctor. He said it was almost certainly a hemorrhoid. We did the sigmoid deal. He saw two polyps (and one hemorrhoid). I just had a colonoscopy. I was really stressed because if we saw two in the first procedure, I was expecting many more. Anyway, it was a total of two polyps. The procedure was easy. Not eating for a day isn't a big deal for me. That drink, however, was terrible. And, in a display of horrible judgment, I was hungover the day I had to fast and drink that crap. Blah. I'm still waiting for the biopsy results, but both of the polyps were in the 3 mm to 5 mm range. I'm not going to sit here and freak out. I have to go back in three years for another one. I'm really glad we found these now. I think 50 years old as the standard recommendation is totally wrong. I'm going to start suggesting to anybody I know that they get in there much earlier.

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?