Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: MaMa Kim 65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have a strong family history of colon cancer and polyps. I have a colonoscopy every 2 years. I usually have 5 maybe 6 polyps. This time I had 40; they"re very small and my doctor removed almost half of them. Waiting on the biopsy results. I'm wondering if I will have to have my colon removed. My mom had hers removed several years ago. She had between 50 and 100 polyps. Her dad, younger sister both died of colon cancer before they were 60, also my great uncle passed around the same age of colon cancer.

Comment from: heusdenssi30, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My mother died at 50 of colon cancer. My father's mother died around 70, of colon cancer. I have been screened twice, at 40 and 43; I had 5 colon polyps the first time. The second time, I had 3 colon polyps. None of the polyps where cancerous! I am almost 46 going to my third screen consulting to have this done again. I hope it will be good news again.

Comment from: Cancer Advocate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 42-year-old female who just had a second colonoscopy, and a polyp was found. I began getting colonoscopies at 39 and was told to have one every three years because my father died of colon cancer at age 52, one of my uncles had rectal cancer, and another uncle had polyps. The first colonoscopy I had found no polyps, but this one did, and I am waiting for biopsy results. I would recommend a colonoscopy to anyone. It saves lives. The most uncomfortable part is the prep the day before, but it is such a small price to pay for a life-saving procedure.

Comment from: Alex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had my colonoscopy performed today. I am 33 years old and I had been asking my doctor to get checked for the past year or so. My mother was diagnosed in February of 2008 with colon cancer at age 63 and died in May. Since then, I really have been insisting even though my doctor kept saying that I was too young. He referred me to a specialist. Other then the 4L Klean Prep that I had to drink, everything went very well. It was quick and nicely done! My doctor found two polyps and removed them, so I am glad I went, and now I am good for the next five years. Get checked!

Comment from: smith, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I got a colonoscopy back in September when I was 16. The doctor told me I had hemorrhoids and a couple of polyps that he removed. I got the colonoscopy because I had rectal bleeding that had been getting worse, not severe, but worse than it was. My great-grandmother had polyps, so it was hereditary. They were only about 1 or 2 centimeters. He told me to come back to get another colonoscopy in three years. A few hours ago, I was having diarrhea, and the first thing that I saw was blood. I'm going to make a doctor's appointment to see what her options for me are, as I am pretty confused.

Comment from: ArmyBrat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I'm 25. One day in August of 2014 I had really bad menstrual/stomach issues. I would be on it for months on and off weeks at a time. So I went in, got an ultrasound done and I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Well, it didn't stop there; I still had pains but worse. I wasn't eating, slept all the time, my body hurt nonstop and I kept gaining weight even though I am highly active. So I went in again and I was told I had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). A few months later and pain still getting worse, I got a CT scan which revealed inflammation in my intestine so I ended up getting a colonoscopy in January and they found a precancerous polyp. I didn't get much detail on how big or how extensive but with my follow up appointment where I got the results, he still didn't say how big, but I was told it was precancerous and if I waited two more years it would've turned into colon cancer. I was shocked because no one in my family has this issue, and no one has died from any cancer that is blood related. Now that the polyp is removed I'm still having horrible pains, my body still hurts all the time, I can't eat without gagging first or feeling sick after, and going to the bathroom is horrible it leads to so much pain. I'm still gaining weight, unlike most people who I hear of losing it. I don't know if the cysts in the ovaries are adding to the weight or not but I am lost for words and so drained I don't know what to do. All this hit me within a 6 month period and it hasn't got better nor has my doctor really helped. I didn't get any medicines other than what I got for the cyst issue which was a ton of birth control, fiber pills (which don't help) and antacid pills (Nexium).

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?