Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: mibonlyme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

At 55, I had a 6 mm polyp removed from the sigmoid colon three years ago. I just received a reminder for a follow up colonoscopy.

Comment from: Junegirl99, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am a 34 year old female. I have recently seen a gastroenterologist due to blood and mucus in my stool that I had been experiencing for about 6 months to a year. The gastroenterologist ordered a colonoscopy. During the colonoscopy he found a 12 to 13 mm pedunculated 'tubulovillous adenoma' (benign) polyp. I know these are somewhat rare for my age. I will now have to have a follow up colonoscopy in 3 years (I plan to try to get one sooner though). My grandmother died from colon cancer at age 78. My mom and dad have never had colonoscopies and are in their 50s. Although they have no gastrointestinal symptoms, I'm encouraging them to get colonoscopies since I had an adenoma at an early age.

Comment from: vicky k., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 46 and six months ago I had a colonoscopy and they removed 3 polyps one was level 4 cancer cells. I was told to have another scope in 6 months which was last Thursday, where they found 4 more. Now I am waiting for the pathology report. And wondering how worried I should be that they came back so soon. Also my grandmother died from rectal cancer. Any help I can get on this would be great.

Comment from: Christie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I am 42, just had my first colonoscopy due to hemorrhoids and mild rectal bleeding. I have an aunt who had colon cancer at 47 years old. They found, and removed, two polyps, one 8 mm and one 15 mm. Due to the 15 mm one, I have to have a repeat colonoscopy in a year. Now I have to wait for the pathology results.

Comment from: MaMa Kim 65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have a strong family history of colon cancer and polyps. I have a colonoscopy every 2 years. I usually have 5 maybe 6 polyps. This time I had 40; they"re very small and my doctor removed almost half of them. Waiting on the biopsy results. I'm wondering if I will have to have my colon removed. My mom had hers removed several years ago. She had between 50 and 100 polyps. Her dad, younger sister both died of colon cancer before they were 60, also my great uncle passed around the same age of colon cancer.

Comment from: heusdenssi30, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My mother died at 50 of colon cancer. My father's mother died around 70, of colon cancer. I have been screened twice, at 40 and 43; I had 5 colon polyps the first time. The second time, I had 3 colon polyps. None of the polyps where cancerous! I am almost 46 going to my third screen consulting to have this done again. I hope it will be good news again.

Comment from: Cancer Advocate, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am a 42-year-old female who just had a second colonoscopy, and a polyp was found. I began getting colonoscopies at 39 and was told to have one every three years because my father died of colon cancer at age 52, one of my uncles had rectal cancer, and another uncle had polyps. The first colonoscopy I had found no polyps, but this one did, and I am waiting for biopsy results. I would recommend a colonoscopy to anyone. It saves lives. The most uncomfortable part is the prep the day before, but it is such a small price to pay for a life-saving procedure.

Comment from: Alex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had my colonoscopy performed today. I am 33 years old and I had been asking my doctor to get checked for the past year or so. My mother was diagnosed in February of 2008 with colon cancer at age 63 and died in May. Since then, I really have been insisting even though my doctor kept saying that I was too young. He referred me to a specialist. Other then the 4L Klean Prep that I had to drink, everything went very well. It was quick and nicely done! My doctor found two polyps and removed them, so I am glad I went, and now I am good for the next five years. Get checked!

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?
Colon Polyps - Types Question: What type of colon polyp(s) were you diagnosed with, and what was the treatment?
Colon Polyps - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you have with colon polyps?