Patient Comments: Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

Comment from: cinnamonchick74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

Im 38 years old and tomorrow I'm doing my 5th colonoscopy in 8 years. Ive had ulcerative colitis since I turned 30, and my father passed away from colon cancer at 44. My last colonoscopy I had 3 years ago, my doctor removed a polyp that was pre cancerous. My colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow is for severe rectal bleeding. The prep for one has to be one of the worst thing I've ever been through.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

My paternal grandmother died of colon cancer at the age of 90. My father has had polyps removed. At the age of 35, I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I had been doctoring for six weeks for hemorrhoids, which I was pretty sure I did not have. I was right. I had tried to have a bowel movement and filled the pot with blood instead. My doctor said it was hemorrhoids. He never checked, just assumed because of my age. An occult test came back negative. Luckily, I insisted on a referral where they immediately found the tumor through a digital rectal exam. The tumor, and my rectum, was removed, and I have had no further instances of polyps or cancer. I am now 53. I was having a colonoscopy annually until just a couple of years ago when I was graduated to every three years. Yes, the prep is the worst part, but it is worth every bit of the inconvenience and disgusting stuff you have to drink. My motto is that you know your own body. If something doesn't seem right, go as far as you need to go until you are satisfied with what the doctor says. Get a second opinion if you are unsure.

Comment from: bonko, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I'm 32. I have no family history of colon cancer that I know of. I felt something "odd" in the anal region, so I went to a gastro doctor. He said it was almost certainly a hemorrhoid. We did the sigmoid deal. He saw two polyps (and one hemorrhoid). I just had a colonoscopy. I was really stressed because if we saw two in the first procedure, I was expecting many more. Anyway, it was a total of two polyps. The procedure was easy. Not eating for a day isn't a big deal for me. That drink, however, was terrible. And, in a display of horrible judgment, I was hungover the day I had to fast and drink that crap. Blah. I'm still waiting for the biopsy results, but both of the polyps were in the 3 mm to 5 mm range. I'm not going to sit here and freak out. I have to go back in three years for another one. I'm really glad we found these now. I think 50 years old as the standard recommendation is totally wrong. I'm going to start suggesting to anybody I know that they get in there much earlier.

Comment from: grateful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my first colonoscopy at age 50. They found one adenomatous polyp and removed it. My doctor said this type of polyp would result in a malignancy down the road. I had no risk factors that I know of, and I am the oldest child, so as far as family history, I am unsure. All the prep in the world to get ready for this test is well worth it. I will get it done again in five years as the doctor recommends.

Comment from: magicpony, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I got large external hemorrhoids overnight, which were very painful. I had to get them surgically removed and then had a routine follow-up colonoscopy. It turned out that I had two polyps, which were removed at the time. Two weeks later, I had rectal bleeding when passing a stool, which was very frightening. I am waiting for a follow-up appointment. My mother died of breast cancer (age 60) and my maternal grandmother of bowel cancer (age 77). I am a fit, healthy 41-year-old. Get checked!

Comment from: Tricia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I had no symptoms with my colon polyps. I had a colonoscopy at 46 because my mother (age 62) and aunt (age 59) were both diagnosed with colon cancer. Pre-cancerous polyps were found in my colon and a mass larger than 5 mm was found in the cecum (exactly where cancer was found in my mother and aunt). I'm still awaiting surgery to remove the mass, and then I'll find out if it's cancerous. My siblings (and daughter) were told to have a colonscopy at age 36 (although my daughter will do it earlier because her paternal grandmother and father also have colon cancer). I exercise, eat a low-fat and high-fiber diet. If a family member is diagnosed, don't wait for your own screening!

Colon Polyps - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your colon polyps?
Colon Polyps - Diagnosis Question: Were your colon polyps diagnosed during a colonoscopy? What was the outcome?