Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

For a year and a half I felt tired all the time, and had major dizzy spells. My doctor told me I was anemic and to take iron pills. When I went to the Red Cross Bloodmobile to donate blood, they told me I was very anemic and to go directly to my doctor. This time she scheduled me for a colonoscopy, and I was found to have stage 4 colon cancer. I had surgery and 9 months of Folfiri.

Comment from: Tommyjane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I thought I was going through menopause because I was having problems with multiple periods. I had four blood transfusions. Then I developed an ulcer with severe knifing abdominal pain and was experiencing constipation. Finally, blood showed up in one of my bowel movements. I was too weak to call my doctor. I had always checked my stools because I'm from a family of three generations of colon cancer survivors. I left the stool in the toilet overnight and the blood diffused into the water. That's when I called my doctor.AI was diagnosed with high stage 2a cancer that had not metastasized. I was told the cancer had been in me for about a year. I had two large tumors located on both sides of the transverse and lost my entire large colon, but I have no colostomy bag. I wasn't heavy to begin with, I left the hospital at 98 lbs. I'm here today five years later and back to work, thanks to a team of doctors from Loma Linda University.

Comment from: Dwallace96, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My husband was 22 when he was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. His symptoms included severe abdominal cramping, vomiting, and diarrhea. We went to the doctor for about a year. They kept telling us it was ulcers, indigestion, etc. Finally they did CT scans and a colonoscopy and found a massive tumor. It was attaching to his liver and pelvic bone. They did surgery and thankfully he has been in remission for 7 years.

Comment from: Olivers, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

It all started with a stomach flu and diarrhea, which went away after 2 or 3 days. About a week later I had diarrhea again. My first thought was the stomach flu came back. After about 2 weeks of diarrhea bright red blood started to occur. I went to the doctor and she submitted me the same day for a CT scan followed by a colonoscopy a couple of days later. CT scan showed a shadow on my liver and colonoscopy revealed a malignant growth in my rectum a cancerous polyp in the colon. Followed by another CT scan and eventually a PET scan the diagnosis was stage 4 metastatic colon cancer that has spread to the liver. 2nd opinion at City of Hope came to the same conclusion. I was told it had spread only to the liver. It did not spread to the lings or to any lymph nodes or anywhere else.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I had constipation, then severe pain from gallbladder disease, pancreatic disease, appendix had a stone in it and there was a large mass in my abdomen. My doctor doesn't tell me much but I have no appetite, nausea, and constant pain. We started on a mushy vegetable mostly diet, our dog has cancer too, so we all eat mushy veg/fruit/fish/diets with protein from meat for the dogs, fish, chicken for us. We eat 2 cups of soft boiled cauliflower; I boil it in chicken broth. We eat very little prepared foods, lots of brown rice. Slowly I am getting more energy and less pain. My symptoms were there for years but the doctors kept ignoring them, telling me I had irritable bowel, etc, until they found tumors in the center of my liver. But that was several years ago and I'm still here, lots of pain and lots of sleeping, no energy, rarely leave the house, but now with the new diet I have more energy, so maybe this will give others hope. Food really matters and if I can even eat this new mushy diet, maybe others can benefit too. Please give it a try. I can't go to the store but others help with the shopping I am so grateful for that. I'm able to cook a little; it's so simple to cook vegetables!

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?