Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: ure53, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My mother has recently died of undiagnosed malignant colon cancer. She had no weight loss, dizziness bowel issues or bleeding. She actually went into hospital for recurrent bladder infections. They found after a scan that the cancer was right through her bowels, liver, and kidneys. Her blood tests showed nothing until after the liver biopsy was done and then her counts rose on a daily basis. She died 23 days later. I had a 5 cm sessile tumor removed three years ago, it was not malignant, and a year later had a polyp removed where the tumor was taken from. Two years later I am having to go back for a colonoscopy after an 8 kilo weight loss in three weeks. I am tired and so thirsty all the time but sleep eludes me till early hours. One of my diabetic tablets have been stopped altogether and my insulin reduced by 30 percent. I am not sure what will happen next or what they might find but life is a little freaky at present.

Comment from: sally89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

With colon cancer, I was throwing up all the time and it was bloody. I was constantly on the toilet passing nothing but bloody water. I couldn't eat for days at a time and was in severe pain. I was losing the ability to control my bowels. I was so weak it was hard to even get up, and lost a lot of weight very fast. I had headaches and was always having hot and cold flashes. I also had blackouts.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

For a year and a half I felt tired all the time, and had major dizzy spells. My doctor told me I was anemic and to take iron pills. When I went to the Red Cross Bloodmobile to donate blood, they told me I was very anemic and to go directly to my doctor. This time she scheduled me for a colonoscopy, and I was found to have stage 4 colon cancer. I had surgery and 9 months of Folfiri.

Comment from: Tommyjane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I thought I was going through menopause because I was having problems with multiple periods. I had four blood transfusions. Then I developed an ulcer with severe knifing abdominal pain and was experiencing constipation. Finally, blood showed up in one of my bowel movements. I was too weak to call my doctor. I had always checked my stools because I'm from a family of three generations of colon cancer survivors. I left the stool in the toilet overnight and the blood diffused into the water. That's when I called my doctor.AI was diagnosed with high stage 2a cancer that had not metastasized. I was told the cancer had been in me for about a year. I had two large tumors located on both sides of the transverse and lost my entire large colon, but I have no colostomy bag. I wasn't heavy to begin with, I left the hospital at 98 lbs. I'm here today five years later and back to work, thanks to a team of doctors from Loma Linda University.

Comment from: Toadstool, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have tons of gas, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, major fatigue and weight loss. I have had a partial colectomy for a blockage in my colon. The colectomy was done 6 years ago. The symptoms are new as of two months ago. I have had nothing but the run around. My gastrointestinal doctor will not do a colonoscopy. He says my symptoms are side effects of some of my daily medications. I am miserable and scared about colon cancer. I don't see any blood in my stool.

Comment from: vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have had gastrointestinal (GI) problems for many years, GERD and IBS being two diagnoses. Last couple of months, things have gotten worse. Bloating/distended upper mid and right abdomen, severe pain, spasms, constipation, and feeling of pressure and fullness. I'm chronically anemic, and fatigued and short of breath when moving. I can barely move. Things are made worse when I lay down as the weight of whatever is in me pulls and increases the spasms and pain. I am waiting for an EGD and first colonoscopy. I wonder if this could be colon cancer.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?