Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I had blood streak on my stool every time. I had a dull hard pain in my bowels I waited for a year and had a colonoscopy showed a tumor in the rectal muscle. Removal and colostomy bag for life. I tried to find a doctor that might consider re attaching but all stated that there will be not enough rectum to re attach so Here I am 9 months later.

Comment from: lgolden, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I was 39 years of age a working mother of 5 I first started to notice real bad sweats and I felt like a 90 year old women it became very hard for me to move my body was breaking down and i didn't no way I new something was wrong but did not know what I went to doctor after doctor they ran test they all said nothing was wrong I new at that point something was very wrong my systems where getting worst and then the bleeding began by that time I was at stage 3 the cancer ate all my rectum and most of my colon i now where a colostomy bag for life.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

Since coping with colon cancer I've experienced blood in stool, massive weight loss over a short time (70 pounds in 4 months), and extreme fatigue.

Comment from: Horse lover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was just 46 at the time that I was diagnosed. I had severe pain in the abdominal area and could not eat anything. I lost 36 pounds in 3 weeks. Finally had a colonoscopy and discovered that I had a tumor. Had surgery and took 120 chemo treatments. It was a really tough time in my life, but I never thought that I was going to die from cancer. Well that has been 11 years ago and I am still here, through the grace of God. The only problem that I still have is fatigue and some diarrhea. They said that I had probably had the tumor for about 2 years and that I did have stage 3 cancer. It is very important to keep a positive attitude regardless of the pain and sickness. Please keep your head up and think about getting well, not about being sick. Good luck to all that are suffering with this disease.

Comment from: marina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I grew severely anemic, my iron level was 2 , I was short of breath, tired and no energy to walk or do anything. I went to emergency where I received 3 blood transfusions, underwent 2 colonoscopies and they showed colon cancer in 2 places. Just had operation, waiting on decision of doctor for chemo or/and radiation.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 12

After visiting my GP several times with fatigue and chest palpitaions I finally got a full blood test that showed I was anaemic. After that a colonoscopy/endoscopy found a significant growth in my upper colon near my appendix. Scans and biopsies proved Type 3 T1 tumour with no further spread. After a hemi colonoectomy I am on 8/12 chemo regime and have been given a pretty positive prognosis. Pretty cool about it until I hear bad news of other sufferers or lose faith. Best wishes to all.

Comment from: dylan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I was diagnosed with stage 3a cancer May 16/10. No symptoms other than feeling tired. Have since had radiation, surgery, and now on 4th on 8 chemo sessions. Chemo week has me feeling tired and slightly nauseous. Then it's back to normal until the next chemo in 3 weeks. No history of colorectal cancer and always ate well, exercised regularly, no excess weight. Thank goodness my family doctor insisted on stool screen! It saved my life!

Comment from: Grateful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was only 39 so colon cancer was the last thing on my mind, but I started having significant rectal bleeding. Also, in hindsight, I had been a little constipated for an extended period of time but nothing really alarming. My husband encouraged me to see a doctor, and she referred me to a gastroenterologist, who did an endoscopy first. The rectal bleeding stopped so I asked him if the colonoscopy was necessary and he said yes. Thank God, because they found a very large cancerous polyp.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?