Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 12

After visiting my GP several times with fatigue and chest palpitaions I finally got a full blood test that showed I was anaemic. After that a colonoscopy/endoscopy found a significant growth in my upper colon near my appendix. Scans and biopsies proved Type 3 T1 tumour with no further spread. After a hemi colonoectomy I am on 8/12 chemo regime and have been given a pretty positive prognosis. Pretty cool about it until I hear bad news of other sufferers or lose faith. Best wishes to all.

Comment from: dylan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I was diagnosed with stage 3a cancer May 16/10. No symptoms other than feeling tired. Have since had radiation, surgery, and now on 4th on 8 chemo sessions. Chemo week has me feeling tired and slightly nauseous. Then it's back to normal until the next chemo in 3 weeks. No history of colorectal cancer and always ate well, exercised regularly, no excess weight. Thank goodness my family doctor insisted on stool screen! It saved my life!

Comment from: Grateful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was only 39 so colon cancer was the last thing on my mind, but I started having significant rectal bleeding. Also, in hindsight, I had been a little constipated for an extended period of time but nothing really alarming. My husband encouraged me to see a doctor, and she referred me to a gastroenterologist, who did an endoscopy first. The rectal bleeding stopped so I asked him if the colonoscopy was necessary and he said yes. Thank God, because they found a very large cancerous polyp.

Comment from: corbans, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I was mostly constipated. It was difficult to eat because I felt full most of the time. Swelling of the lower abdomen was also a symptom which appeared at times. My bowel motions swung between chronic constipation and diarrhea. Low energy and anemia were big signs for me. I spent a lot of time in bed not knowing why and hiding it from my family. My skin in face was yellow due to spread to liver. Diagnosis happened through colonoscopy. I am under 65 and this is a 65+ year old type of cancer and so I was misdiagnosed for at least a year.

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My symptoms were weight loss, blood in stool, clear liquid in stool then later on I started having sharp pains on my left side and I was very thirsty I could not sleep through the night I would wake up and have to have a lot of water.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?