Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: Dwallace96, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My husband was 22 when he was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. His symptoms included severe abdominal cramping, vomiting, and diarrhea. We went to the doctor for about a year. They kept telling us it was ulcers, indigestion, etc. Finally they did CT scans and a colonoscopy and found a massive tumor. It was attaching to his liver and pelvic bone. They did surgery and thankfully he has been in remission for 7 years.

Comment from: Olivers, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

It all started with a stomach flu and diarrhea, which went away after 2 or 3 days. About a week later I had diarrhea again. My first thought was the stomach flu came back. After about 2 weeks of diarrhea bright red blood started to occur. I went to the doctor and she submitted me the same day for a CT scan followed by a colonoscopy a couple of days later. CT scan showed a shadow on my liver and colonoscopy revealed a malignant growth in my rectum a cancerous polyp in the colon. Followed by another CT scan and eventually a PET scan the diagnosis was stage 4 metastatic colon cancer that has spread to the liver. 2nd opinion at City of Hope came to the same conclusion. I was told it had spread only to the liver. It did not spread to the lings or to any lymph nodes or anywhere else.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I had constipation, then severe pain from gallbladder disease, pancreatic disease, appendix had a stone in it and there was a large mass in my abdomen. My doctor doesn't tell me much but I have no appetite, nausea, and constant pain. We started on a mushy vegetable mostly diet, our dog has cancer too, so we all eat mushy veg/fruit/fish/diets with protein from meat for the dogs, fish, chicken for us. We eat 2 cups of soft boiled cauliflower; I boil it in chicken broth. We eat very little prepared foods, lots of brown rice. Slowly I am getting more energy and less pain. My symptoms were there for years but the doctors kept ignoring them, telling me I had irritable bowel, etc, until they found tumors in the center of my liver. But that was several years ago and I'm still here, lots of pain and lots of sleeping, no energy, rarely leave the house, but now with the new diet I have more energy, so maybe this will give others hope. Food really matters and if I can even eat this new mushy diet, maybe others can benefit too. Please give it a try. I can't go to the store but others help with the shopping I am so grateful for that. I'm able to cook a little; it's so simple to cook vegetables!

Comment from: deb5055, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was 39 when my symptoms became very painful. I was first diagnosed with IBS, then depression, and even after passing bloody stool, I was basically ignored. I finally had an ultrasound done that showed my appendix was enlarged. The opted to do an appendectomy, and when they got into the site found a large stage 3 carcinoma in the cecum. They did a bowel resection. I did 6 months of 5FU weekly treatments, and have been cancer free for almost 17 years. There is hope, and my advice is to be persistent in finding treatment.

Comment from: Thea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had no blood in my stool and no dark stools. I just had a stomachache and elevated stomach blood pressure was elevated how it was discovered. They said it was gallbladder, appendicitis, no gas in my body. Only after surgery was I told, “Ooh we discovered a tumor.” It has been an up and down battle for me.

Comment from: Sad Dad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

It started with loose stools leading to blood in the stool. Having had hemorrhoids, this was not a big concern at first. This condition persisted for several months. A colonoscopy was scheduled and 1 polyp and 1 growth were found.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?