Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

A Doctor's View on Stage IV Colon Cancer That Has Spread to the Liver

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Colon cancer has four stages. Stage IV is the most severe stage of colon cancer, and at this stage the cancer cells have spread or metastasized to other organs (for example, the lungs and lymph nodes). Examples of symptoms of colon cancer when they do occur include:

• Blood in the stool
  • Pain in the right side of the abdomen or stomach
  • Leg swelling
  • Itching
  • Abdominal swelling

Treatment for stage IV colon cancer to the liver include surgery to remove the liver tumors, chemotherapy, radiation, radiofrequency ablation, and brachytherapy. Targeted therapies also are available.

Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: sally89, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

With colon cancer, I was throwing up all the time and it was bloody. I was constantly on the toilet passing nothing but bloody water. I couldn't eat for days at a time and was in severe pain. I was losing the ability to control my bowels. I was so weak it was hard to even get up, and lost a lot of weight very fast. I had headaches and was always having hot and cold flashes. I also had blackouts.

Comment from: MenopauseMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I'm 50 in a few weeks and have been experiencing the regular peri-menopause symptoms of irritability (to say the least), restlessness, weight gain, irregular periods, anxiety, dry skin, interrupted sleep, urinating in my panties, and I'm an emotional wreck! At this point, I'm just hoping that my husband and I can make it through this and I don't eat my young.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 15

I just had 12 inches of my colon removed on December 1 2015. After having colonoscopy a week earlier, the doctor pointed out I had a tumor in my colon and there was no sign of spreading. I just got the result today, December 14 that the cancer did reach the lymph node last layer but not through and might be wise for precaution to do some form of chemotherapy. I just turned 50 and am fairly healthy and have an active lifestyle. I have small symptoms such as fatigue, increase in bowel movement, but no weight gain or loss.

Comment from: yusuffy, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My wife had a serious stomach upset. At a point she had bloody stool, but it has stopped for now, but she used to have this sharp pain at night to the extent that she needed to be given injection before she could sleep. Also whenever she goes to the toilet she barely has any stool; little or nothing. I want to be sure if it is ulcer or colon cancer.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

For a year and a half I felt tired all the time, and had major dizzy spells. My doctor told me I was anemic and to take iron pills. When I went to the Red Cross Bloodmobile to donate blood, they told me I was very anemic and to go directly to my doctor. This time she scheduled me for a colonoscopy, and I was found to have stage 4 colon cancer. I had surgery and 9 months of Folfiri.

Comment from: Tommyjane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I thought I was going through menopause because I was having problems with multiple periods. I had four blood transfusions. Then I developed an ulcer with severe knifing abdominal pain and was experiencing constipation. Finally, blood showed up in one of my bowel movements. I was too weak to call my doctor. I had always checked my stools because I'm from a family of three generations of colon cancer survivors. I left the stool in the toilet overnight and the blood diffused into the water. That's when I called my doctor.AI was diagnosed with high stage 2a cancer that had not metastasized. I was told the cancer had been in me for about a year. I had two large tumors located on both sides of the transverse and lost my entire large colon, but I have no colostomy bag. I wasn't heavy to begin with, I left the hospital at 98 lbs. I'm here today five years later and back to work, thanks to a team of doctors from Loma Linda University.

Comment from: david40, Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I had severe bone pain rectal bleeding! I found I had rectal cancer on the rectum muscle and had radiation, chemotherapy, and operation for permanent colostomy. I have chemotherapy infusion and chemotherapy pills twice daily! I have about 20 days left of chemotherapy. Please, if you are 40 years old please get checked!

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Experience Question: What�s your biggest challenge with living with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Life Change Question: What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with colon cancer?