Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: MenopauseMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I'm 50 in a few weeks and have been experiencing the regular peri-menopause symptoms of irritability (to say the least), restlessness, weight gain, irregular periods, anxiety, dry skin, interrupted sleep, urinating in my panties, and I'm an emotional wreck! At this point, I'm just hoping that my husband and I can make it through this and I don't eat my young.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 15

I just had 12 inches of my colon removed on December 1 2015. After having colonoscopy a week earlier, the doctor pointed out I had a tumor in my colon and there was no sign of spreading. I just got the result today, December 14 that the cancer did reach the lymph node last layer but not through and might be wise for precaution to do some form of chemotherapy. I just turned 50 and am fairly healthy and have an active lifestyle. I have small symptoms such as fatigue, increase in bowel movement, but no weight gain or loss.

Comment from: yusuffy, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My wife had a serious stomach upset. At a point she had bloody stool, but it has stopped for now, but she used to have this sharp pain at night to the extent that she needed to be given injection before she could sleep. Also whenever she goes to the toilet she barely has any stool; little or nothing. I want to be sure if it is ulcer or colon cancer.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

For a year and a half I felt tired all the time, and had major dizzy spells. My doctor told me I was anemic and to take iron pills. When I went to the Red Cross Bloodmobile to donate blood, they told me I was very anemic and to go directly to my doctor. This time she scheduled me for a colonoscopy, and I was found to have stage 4 colon cancer. I had surgery and 9 months of Folfiri.

Comment from: Tommyjane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I thought I was going through menopause because I was having problems with multiple periods. I had four blood transfusions. Then I developed an ulcer with severe knifing abdominal pain and was experiencing constipation. Finally, blood showed up in one of my bowel movements. I was too weak to call my doctor. I had always checked my stools because I'm from a family of three generations of colon cancer survivors. I left the stool in the toilet overnight and the blood diffused into the water. That's when I called my doctor.AI was diagnosed with high stage 2a cancer that had not metastasized. I was told the cancer had been in me for about a year. I had two large tumors located on both sides of the transverse and lost my entire large colon, but I have no colostomy bag. I wasn't heavy to begin with, I left the hospital at 98 lbs. I'm here today five years later and back to work, thanks to a team of doctors from Loma Linda University.

Comment from: david40, Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I had severe bone pain rectal bleeding! I found I had rectal cancer on the rectum muscle and had radiation, chemotherapy, and operation for permanent colostomy. I have chemotherapy infusion and chemotherapy pills twice daily! I have about 20 days left of chemotherapy. Please, if you are 40 years old please get checked!

Comment from: Toadstool, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have tons of gas, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, major fatigue and weight loss. I have had a partial colectomy for a blockage in my colon. The colectomy was done 6 years ago. The symptoms are new as of two months ago. I have had nothing but the run around. My gastrointestinal doctor will not do a colonoscopy. He says my symptoms are side effects of some of my daily medications. I am miserable and scared about colon cancer. I don't see any blood in my stool.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?