Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: david40, Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I had severe bone pain rectal bleeding! I found I had rectal cancer on the rectum muscle and had radiation, chemotherapy, and operation for permanent colostomy. I have chemotherapy infusion and chemotherapy pills twice daily! I have about 20 days left of chemotherapy. Please, if you are 40 years old please get checked!

Comment from: Liz, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My sister in Germany was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer 5 years ago. She was doing fine even with metastasis invading her body. Now one of those metastasis growth on her lower belly has busted. Because she is over 75 and the doctors are disinterested to do anything about it.

Comment from: Toadstool, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have tons of gas, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, major fatigue and weight loss. I have had a partial colectomy for a blockage in my colon. The colectomy was done 6 years ago. The symptoms are new as of two months ago. I have had nothing but the run around. My gastrointestinal doctor will not do a colonoscopy. He says my symptoms are side effects of some of my daily medications. I am miserable and scared about colon cancer. I don't see any blood in my stool.

Comment from: vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have had gastrointestinal (GI) problems for many years, GERD and IBS being two diagnoses. Last couple of months, things have gotten worse. Bloating/distended upper mid and right abdomen, severe pain, spasms, constipation, and feeling of pressure and fullness. I'm chronically anemic, and fatigued and short of breath when moving. I can barely move. Things are made worse when I lay down as the weight of whatever is in me pulls and increases the spasms and pain. I am waiting for an EGD and first colonoscopy. I wonder if this could be colon cancer.

Comment from: Dwallace96, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My husband was 22 when he was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. His symptoms included severe abdominal cramping, vomiting, and diarrhea. We went to the doctor for about a year. They kept telling us it was ulcers, indigestion, etc. Finally they did CT scans and a colonoscopy and found a massive tumor. It was attaching to his liver and pelvic bone. They did surgery and thankfully he has been in remission for 7 years.

Comment from: Olivers, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

It all started with a stomach flu and diarrhea, which went away after 2 or 3 days. About a week later I had diarrhea again. My first thought was the stomach flu came back. After about 2 weeks of diarrhea bright red blood started to occur. I went to the doctor and she submitted me the same day for a CT scan followed by a colonoscopy a couple of days later. CT scan showed a shadow on my liver and colonoscopy revealed a malignant growth in my rectum a cancerous polyp in the colon. Followed by another CT scan and eventually a PET scan the diagnosis was stage 4 metastatic colon cancer that has spread to the liver. 2nd opinion at City of Hope came to the same conclusion. I was told it had spread only to the liver. It did not spread to the lings or to any lymph nodes or anywhere else.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I had constipation, then severe pain from gallbladder disease, pancreatic disease, appendix had a stone in it and there was a large mass in my abdomen. My doctor doesn't tell me much but I have no appetite, nausea, and constant pain. We started on a mushy vegetable mostly diet, our dog has cancer too, so we all eat mushy veg/fruit/fish/diets with protein from meat for the dogs, fish, chicken for us. We eat 2 cups of soft boiled cauliflower; I boil it in chicken broth. We eat very little prepared foods, lots of brown rice. Slowly I am getting more energy and less pain. My symptoms were there for years but the doctors kept ignoring them, telling me I had irritable bowel, etc, until they found tumors in the center of my liver. But that was several years ago and I'm still here, lots of pain and lots of sleeping, no energy, rarely leave the house, but now with the new diet I have more energy, so maybe this will give others hope. Food really matters and if I can even eat this new mushy diet, maybe others can benefit too. Please give it a try. I can't go to the store but others help with the shopping I am so grateful for that. I'm able to cook a little; it's so simple to cook vegetables!

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?