Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?

Comment from: deb5055, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was 39 when my symptoms became very painful. I was first diagnosed with IBS, then depression, and even after passing bloody stool, I was basically ignored. I finally had an ultrasound done that showed my appendix was enlarged. The opted to do an appendectomy, and when they got into the site found a large stage 3 carcinoma in the cecum. They did a bowel resection. I did 6 months of 5FU weekly treatments, and have been cancer free for almost 17 years. There is hope, and my advice is to be persistent in finding treatment.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I had blood streak on my stool every time. I had a dull hard pain in my bowels I waited for a year and had a colonoscopy showed a tumor in the rectal muscle. Removal and colostomy bag for life. I tried to find a doctor that might consider re attaching but all stated that there will be not enough rectum to re attach so Here I am 9 months later.

Comment from: Thea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had no blood in my stool and no dark stools. I just had a stomachache and elevated stomach blood pressure was elevated how it was discovered. They said it was gallbladder, appendicitis, no gas in my body. Only after surgery was I told, “Ooh we discovered a tumor.” It has been an up and down battle for me.

Comment from: Sad Dad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

It started with loose stools leading to blood in the stool. Having had hemorrhoids, this was not a big concern at first. This condition persisted for several months. A colonoscopy was scheduled and 1 polyp and 1 growth were found.

Comment from: lgolden, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I was 39 years of age a working mother of 5 I first started to notice real bad sweats and I felt like a 90 year old women it became very hard for me to move my body was breaking down and i didn't no way I new something was wrong but did not know what I went to doctor after doctor they ran test they all said nothing was wrong I new at that point something was very wrong my systems where getting worst and then the bleeding began by that time I was at stage 3 the cancer ate all my rectum and most of my colon i now where a colostomy bag for life.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

Since coping with colon cancer I've experienced blood in stool, massive weight loss over a short time (70 pounds in 4 months), and extreme fatigue.

Comment from: Horse lover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was just 46 at the time that I was diagnosed. I had severe pain in the abdominal area and could not eat anything. I lost 36 pounds in 3 weeks. Finally had a colonoscopy and discovered that I had a tumor. Had surgery and took 120 chemo treatments. It was a really tough time in my life, but I never thought that I was going to die from cancer. Well that has been 11 years ago and I am still here, through the grace of God. The only problem that I still have is fatigue and some diarrhea. They said that I had probably had the tumor for about 2 years and that I did have stage 3 cancer. It is very important to keep a positive attitude regardless of the pain and sickness. Please keep your head up and think about getting well, not about being sick. Good luck to all that are suffering with this disease.

Comment from: marina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I grew severely anemic, my iron level was 2 , I was short of breath, tired and no energy to walk or do anything. I went to emergency where I received 3 blood transfusions, underwent 2 colonoscopies and they showed colon cancer in 2 places. Just had operation, waiting on decision of doctor for chemo or/and radiation.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?