Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: Mm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

It took the doctors and the hospital 3 months to figure out I didn't have gastritis, but stage 4 small colon cancer. I had terrible pain in my abdomen, and vomiting but no blood in either. I had a general surgeon do surgery and it was supposed to be laparoscopic but ended up being exploratory. They had to remove a foot and a half of my small colon (doing a resection), my appendix, one ovary, and part of the large colon. I was on Folfox for 3 months and then Folfirinox for 4 months to try and get ready for surgery and the HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy) procedure. I was just told I am not a good candidate for this surgery because the surgeon did not see enough response with the chemotherapy. Now my oncologist is putting me on Erbitux and a cancer cell blocker. I am nervous because of possible side effects!

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 03

My wife was diagnosed with stage one colon cancer the doctors said he got all the cancer out after removing about twelve inches of her colon. Thinking she was cancer free we went home very happy. About two years later she starting having pain in her left pelvic area. After many doctors' appointments they did a colonoscopy, it was clear, there was not even a polyp. But the pain was there and severe so he ordered a CAT scan. The next day her family doctor called and said to go to the cancer center for a PET scan. The scan showed two large masses in her pelvic area. After surgery and lab test her colon cancer spread to her cervix. She is now in chemotherapy treatment. Her numbers are good but they go up and down a lot.

Comment from: Tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My age is 31, and I had blood in stool. I never would've thought polyps or colon cancer, no family members had it. I had polyp in lower colon, had a little bit of cancer in the polyp (not in base). I faithfully go get my colonoscopies and have even taught my grandkids to check the stool out!

Comment from: Beechwood boy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I felt cold. I went to my doctor and he did a CBC (complete blood count). I was anemic. He sent me for a colonoscopy where they discovered my tumor. I was at stage 3B colon cancer. I had surgery and FOLFOX4 chemotherapy. I've been cancer free for almost 8 years.

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Shortness of breath and strange sensations in my lower legs sent me to my internist. He ordered cardiac ultrasound and blood work. Ultrasound was normal. Blood showed very low iron level. Having a family history of colon cancer, I went to my gastroenterologist, who gave me two iron infusions, and a fecal occult test; test was negative. He ordered another one, and again negative. Although one year early, I had colonoscopy/endoscopy. Colonoscopy revealed cancer of my ileocecal valve (lower right, near appendix). I had 12 inches of my ascending colon remover laparoscopically. I had gene testing for Lynch syndrome, lymph node removal, PET scan, and all normal or negative. No treatment whatsoever. I am having a six month follow up colonoscopy in two weeks, and of course, worried sick! If I had not found out my iron level was low, I'd have a very different story!

Comment from: KK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer, which had spread to the lymph nodes, in 2005. After extensive surgery and one year of chemotherapy using leucovorin, 5 FU, oxaliplatin, Avastin, and irinotecan, I was in complete remission! I continue to remain in remission and have scans every four months. Even at diagnosis, my CEA levels were very normal. It is a miracle, and I am very grateful!

Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?