Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 06

I took my 66 year old Dad for a colonoscopy this morning, he had been feeling tired a lot; they did a cat scan and found a mass on his liver. They suggested a colonoscopy. This morning the doctor told me my Dad has a mass on his colon which spread to his liver. He is having surgery this week to remove this mass. After reading all your comments, I'm realizing that the doctor never told me anything about a "stage". Another comment makes me think more positive. The same thing happened and after surgery, the chemo helped to shrink the mass on the liver too. I hope my Dad has the same experience. I am scared.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went to my GP for a check-up. Was found to be anemic, fecal occult blood test was positive for all 3 days. H. pylori was positive, barium swallow suggested something. Well, after being treated for a possible bleeding ulcer, I was still anemic and the FOBT was still positive. Finally I got scooped more than a year later, both ends. (Surgeon was surprised I was not referred to him earlier: anemia and positive FOBT are colon cancer warning signs). A cancerous tumor was found in the ascending colon, no spread to lymph nodes, so Stage II.

Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?