Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had polyps removed periodically since age 27. I had been given a "clean" colonoscopy six years ago and told to schedule another in five years. My most recent colonoscopy and pathology showed stage III colon cancer. I think the previous colonoscopy missed a polyp. I have had a right hemi-colectomy and completed five of my six months of chemo. I ran two marathons in the previous year, and I plan to run the Ironman in Hawaii to celebrate my five year survival. I was 46 at diagnosis. So far, I have been very happy with my semi-colon.

Comment from: k080221, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was only 21 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer. We never expected it. I was young. I never had a colonoscopy or laboratory work before the diagnosis. We just knew it right after I had an abdominal obstruction and went through an emergency EX-Lap. During the operation, my surgeon found a tumor near my ileocecal area. It was already 10 inches in size. We sent the specimen for biopsy. Then, after weeks, the result was positive. It was already stage 3. That was almost two years ago. After I received a year of treatment, I can say I feel better now. I'm not yet a survivor, but I'm better.

Comment from: mapuana, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband was diagnosis with colon cancer stage IV in March of this year. It also had metastasis to his liver. He was having his yearly physical for work. His blood test results were so low that he was immediately taken to the ER. His only symptoms had been a bit of fatigue. He was admitted to the hospital and the next day had a colonoscopy. After the colonoscopy, it was determined that he had colorectal cancer. He also had a full body scat scan to see if cancer was elsewhere. He had surgery 1 week later for a resection of his colon. One month later chemo started. My husband just completed his 7th series of chemo treatment (Oxaliplatin, Avastin and Xeloda) he is on a 21 day cycle. Avastin was just recently added because his doctors wanted to be sure that the resection had enough time to heal. He just had his first scat scan to see the progress. It was good no new lesions and the tumors on his liver are shrinking. We are very pleased and hopeful.

Comment from: Angellface, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was working as an RN nursing supervisor at a geriatric facility, the midnight shift. I had been complaining of severe fatigue, to the point of falling asleep at work and while driving home in the mornings. I was found to be anemic, so a colonoscopy was performed to find out where the blood loss was, and it was at that time I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer of the left descending colon.

Published: July 18

I was 48 when I began having stomach upset and change in bowel habits. I thought it was stress and my doctor tested for ulcer, gallbladder and other stress related ailments. Later I began passing blood, but because of my excellent health and lack of family history of polyps, no one suggested I get a colonoscopy for 5 months. That revealed a tennis ball size tumor in the descending colon. Stage III. There were 6 lymph nodes involved, but no penetration of the bowel wall. Go figure. I had 6 months of Zeloda orally and Oxaliplatin IV. Other than gaining 15 pounds during chemo, and a bit of fatigue, I did great. It's been three and a half years and all follow up tests are negative. I've yet to loose that 15 pounds.

Published: June 12

After being first diagnosed with IBS, the GP gave me a referral for a colonoscopy. It was then that I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I also have polyps throughout my colon. I was 35 years old when diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of colorectal type. It was only after extensive surgery that the full extent of the cancer was realized. It had spread to 5 of my lymph nodes and 2 areas outside of my lymph nodes.

Published: June 11

I was initially told I had a hemorrhoid causing rectal bleeding...both by GPs and a GI...I went to a colon rectal surgeon for another opinion only to learn I had a rectal tumor (approx. 1 inch) that was not detected in a colonoscopy three years earlier. The pathology report indicated adenocarcinoma, and I went thru the standard radiation/chemo six-week treatment before surgery. Amazingly, all symptoms (bleeding, constipation, etc.) disappeared from the first day of radiation. I feel great, have no symptoms, and do not appear sick (I am 59 years old).

Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?