Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: mapuana, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband was diagnosis with colon cancer stage IV in March of this year. It also had metastasis to his liver. He was having his yearly physical for work. His blood test results were so low that he was immediately taken to the ER. His only symptoms had been a bit of fatigue. He was admitted to the hospital and the next day had a colonoscopy. After the colonoscopy, it was determined that he had colorectal cancer. He also had a full body scat scan to see if cancer was elsewhere. He had surgery 1 week later for a resection of his colon. One month later chemo started. My husband just completed his 7th series of chemo treatment (Oxaliplatin, Avastin and Xeloda) he is on a 21 day cycle. Avastin was just recently added because his doctors wanted to be sure that the resection had enough time to heal. He just had his first scat scan to see the progress. It was good no new lesions and the tumors on his liver are shrinking. We are very pleased and hopeful.

Comment from: Angellface, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was working as an RN nursing supervisor at a geriatric facility, the midnight shift. I had been complaining of severe fatigue, to the point of falling asleep at work and while driving home in the mornings. I was found to be anemic, so a colonoscopy was performed to find out where the blood loss was, and it was at that time I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer of the left descending colon.

Published: July 18

I was 48 when I began having stomach upset and change in bowel habits. I thought it was stress and my doctor tested for ulcer, gallbladder and other stress related ailments. Later I began passing blood, but because of my excellent health and lack of family history of polyps, no one suggested I get a colonoscopy for 5 months. That revealed a tennis ball size tumor in the descending colon. Stage III. There were 6 lymph nodes involved, but no penetration of the bowel wall. Go figure. I had 6 months of Zeloda orally and Oxaliplatin IV. Other than gaining 15 pounds during chemo, and a bit of fatigue, I did great. It's been three and a half years and all follow up tests are negative. I've yet to loose that 15 pounds.

Published: June 12

After being first diagnosed with IBS, the GP gave me a referral for a colonoscopy. It was then that I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I also have polyps throughout my colon. I was 35 years old when diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of colorectal type. It was only after extensive surgery that the full extent of the cancer was realized. It had spread to 5 of my lymph nodes and 2 areas outside of my lymph nodes.

Published: June 11

I was initially told I had a hemorrhoid causing rectal bleeding...both by GPs and a GI...I went to a colon rectal surgeon for another opinion only to learn I had a rectal tumor (approx. 1 inch) that was not detected in a colonoscopy three years earlier. The pathology report indicated adenocarcinoma, and I went thru the standard radiation/chemo six-week treatment before surgery. Amazingly, all symptoms (bleeding, constipation, etc.) disappeared from the first day of radiation. I feel great, have no symptoms, and do not appear sick (I am 59 years old).

Published: June 04

At age 52, my husband was diagnosed with colorectal cancer through a routine colonoscopy. After 2 separate negative biopsies, surgery was performed in to remove the mass that was blocking his bowel. The surgeon gave us the horrible news that the tumor was cancerous - Stage 4 and in the lymph nodes - T4/N2/M0 stage. He had simultaneous radiation and chemo for 6 weeks, had 3 weeks off, and then had a cocktail of 5FU and other drugs intravenously thru a port for the next 6 months. Two years later, he has had 2 clean scans. I must say that he (I) changed his entire diet. We juice carrots, celery, and whatever fruits we may have on hand every Sunday. Funnel it into a large wine bottle; use a rubber cork and suction pump to eliminate the air so that he can drink fresh juice every morning. No more red meat, lots of cold water fish, reduced carbs, and lots of whole grain foods. So far, we've beat the odds. Three years to go!!!

Published: May 30

My colon cancer was diagnosed during a colonoscopy. My tumor was in the descending Colon and had penetrated the wall of the colon. I had a CT scan before the scope, which did not show the tumor.

Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?