Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: Harley Man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

My red blood count was way off, and I was sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day. I just did not feel good. I kept going to doctors and complaining. Finally, I found a doctor that would listen. She sent me in for a PET scan and a CT scan, and they found colon cancer. I was operated on in the end of June, and she removed 18 inches of colon. I was lucky because the cancer had not gotten through the wall of the colon, so it hadn't spread. I didn't have to do any chemotherapy or radiation.

Comment from: Lookin Good, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

At the time, I was 32 years old and for years I kept telling doctors I did not feel right. I was told I looked good and to take more vitamins. Years later, I ended up at the hospital needing four units of blood until finally they started listening to me. A few weeks later, a tumor was found on the right side, and I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I began chemo six weeks later. I suffered quite a bit, and I was placed on morphine that did not help the pain. I am finally in remission, but I suffered nerve damage and severe anxiety attacks.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had polyps removed periodically since age 27. I had been given a "clean" colonoscopy six years ago and told to schedule another in five years. My most recent colonoscopy and pathology showed stage III colon cancer. I think the previous colonoscopy missed a polyp. I have had a right hemi-colectomy and completed five of my six months of chemo. I ran two marathons in the previous year, and I plan to run the Ironman in Hawaii to celebrate my five year survival. I was 46 at diagnosis. So far, I have been very happy with my semi-colon.

Comment from: k080221, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was only 21 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer. We never expected it. I was young. I never had a colonoscopy or laboratory work before the diagnosis. We just knew it right after I had an abdominal obstruction and went through an emergency EX-Lap. During the operation, my surgeon found a tumor near my ileocecal area. It was already 10 inches in size. We sent the specimen for biopsy. Then, after weeks, the result was positive. It was already stage 3. That was almost two years ago. After I received a year of treatment, I can say I feel better now. I'm not yet a survivor, but I'm better.

Comment from: mapuana, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband was diagnosis with colon cancer stage IV in March of this year. It also had metastasis to his liver. He was having his yearly physical for work. His blood test results were so low that he was immediately taken to the ER. His only symptoms had been a bit of fatigue. He was admitted to the hospital and the next day had a colonoscopy. After the colonoscopy, it was determined that he had colorectal cancer. He also had a full body scat scan to see if cancer was elsewhere. He had surgery 1 week later for a resection of his colon. One month later chemo started. My husband just completed his 7th series of chemo treatment (Oxaliplatin, Avastin and Xeloda) he is on a 21 day cycle. Avastin was just recently added because his doctors wanted to be sure that the resection had enough time to heal. He just had his first scat scan to see the progress. It was good no new lesions and the tumors on his liver are shrinking. We are very pleased and hopeful.

Comment from: Angellface, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was working as an RN nursing supervisor at a geriatric facility, the midnight shift. I had been complaining of severe fatigue, to the point of falling asleep at work and while driving home in the mornings. I was found to be anemic, so a colonoscopy was performed to find out where the blood loss was, and it was at that time I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer of the left descending colon.

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My colon cancer was found after a routine colectomy for fecal irregularity problems.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male Published: February 19

I had a colon cancer tumor as big as my heart break through my colon grew into my muscle. That was in 1996. I am cancer free now. Here is how I beat it: 28 treatment of radiation and 7 treatments of chemotherapy.

Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?