Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My colon cancer was found after a routine colectomy for fecal irregularity problems.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male Published: February 19

I had a colon cancer tumor as big as my heart break through my colon grew into my muscle. That was in 1996. I am cancer free now. Here is how I beat it: 28 treatment of radiation and 7 treatments of chemotherapy.

Comment from: Under 50, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My husband's colon cancer was discovered from a colonoscopy. He went to donate blood at a blood donor clinic and was told his iron level was severely low and to see his doctor immediately. Previous to that, he was experiencing shortness of breath and fatigue. He thought it was stress related because he had been so busy in the past year.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

In July 2008, I had knee replacement surgery and during my recovery, I developed a blood clot. I was put on Coumadin for several months and noticed I was bleeding after two months on Coumadin. The bleeding was excessive, so I went to the ER and found out that I had lost an entire unit of blood. They admitted me to the hospital where I had a colonoscopy. The doctor found three polyps and a tumor. It was malignant. I never felt sick and would never have known about the tumor if I hadn't been on Coumadin and thought the bleeding was related to that blood thinner. I probably would not have bled so soon, and it could have been years before I had shown any symptoms at all. I have very early stage III and look forward to a full recovery with the wonderful surgical and medical staff I have assigned to me. Jesus is the Great Physician and my faith in Him is strong. I know with Jesus and my medical team, complete healing is a fact.

Comment from: Goldie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

At the age of 19, I developed stomach cramps and experienced rectal bleeding. I was 20 when I finally went to the doctor and was found to have advanced colon cancer after doing a colonoscopy. I never suffered from fatigue or anything like that; those were my only symptoms. I thought I was doing OK, but I have had a relapse. I'm now 21.

Comment from: Bernadette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I missed my colonoscopy in the fall of 2006 but made sure I had it done in the fall of 2007. I was concerned because I was tired all the time, but I did have a history of colitis and anemia. I didn't hear anything from my doctor in October, so I assumed all was well. I made travel plans and then in early December, I received that horrible call that I had colon cancer. I live in Kentucky, and it was strongly recommended I travel to Cleveland Clinic. After following my instructions and meeting my surgeon after doing my homework regarding surgery etc., I still did not have all the details I needed. It will be a year in January that I had my large intestine removed and in April had the ileostomy reversed. I need help with diet and figuring out how to prevent leakage with leads to a very secluded life. I've used every ointment on the market. Calmoseptine is the only one that provides me with relief. Subsequently, I still use the restroom a lot. My weight is up and down. I really hate my life right now.

Comment from: Harley Man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

My red blood count was way off, and I was sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day. I just did not feel good. I kept going to doctors and complaining. Finally, I found a doctor that would listen. She sent me in for a PET scan and a CT scan, and they found colon cancer. I was operated on in the end of June, and she removed 18 inches of colon. I was lucky because the cancer had not gotten through the wall of the colon, so it hadn't spread. I didn't have to do any chemotherapy or radiation.

Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?