Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: Pat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My colon cancer was found after a routine colectomy for fecal irregularity problems.

Comment from: mike, 35-44 Male Published: February 19

I had a colon cancer tumor as big as my heart break through my colon grew into my muscle. That was in 1996. I am cancer free now. Here is how I beat it: 28 treatment of radiation and 7 treatments of chemotherapy.

Comment from: Under 50, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My husband's colon cancer was discovered from a colonoscopy. He went to donate blood at a blood donor clinic and was told his iron level was severely low and to see his doctor immediately. Previous to that, he was experiencing shortness of breath and fatigue. He thought it was stress related because he had been so busy in the past year.

Comment from: Bernadette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I missed my colonoscopy in the fall of 2006 but made sure I had it done in the fall of 2007. I was concerned because I was tired all the time, but I did have a history of colitis and anemia. I didn't hear anything from my doctor in October, so I assumed all was well. I made travel plans and then in early December, I received that horrible call that I had colon cancer. I live in Kentucky, and it was strongly recommended I travel to Cleveland Clinic. After following my instructions and meeting my surgeon after doing my homework regarding surgery etc., I still did not have all the details I needed. It will be a year in January that I had my large intestine removed and in April had the ileostomy reversed. I need help with diet and figuring out how to prevent leakage with leads to a very secluded life. I've used every ointment on the market. Calmoseptine is the only one that provides me with relief. Subsequently, I still use the restroom a lot. My weight is up and down. I really hate my life right now.

Comment from: Harley Man, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

My red blood count was way off, and I was sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day. I just did not feel good. I kept going to doctors and complaining. Finally, I found a doctor that would listen. She sent me in for a PET scan and a CT scan, and they found colon cancer. I was operated on in the end of June, and she removed 18 inches of colon. I was lucky because the cancer had not gotten through the wall of the colon, so it hadn't spread. I didn't have to do any chemotherapy or radiation.

Comment from: Lookin Good, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

At the time, I was 32 years old and for years I kept telling doctors I did not feel right. I was told I looked good and to take more vitamins. Years later, I ended up at the hospital needing four units of blood until finally they started listening to me. A few weeks later, a tumor was found on the right side, and I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I began chemo six weeks later. I suffered quite a bit, and I was placed on morphine that did not help the pain. I am finally in remission, but I suffered nerve damage and severe anxiety attacks.

Comment from: Steve, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had polyps removed periodically since age 27. I had been given a "clean" colonoscopy six years ago and told to schedule another in five years. My most recent colonoscopy and pathology showed stage III colon cancer. I think the previous colonoscopy missed a polyp. I have had a right hemi-colectomy and completed five of my six months of chemo. I ran two marathons in the previous year, and I plan to run the Ironman in Hawaii to celebrate my five year survival. I was 46 at diagnosis. So far, I have been very happy with my semi-colon.

Comment from: k080221, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was only 21 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer. We never expected it. I was young. I never had a colonoscopy or laboratory work before the diagnosis. We just knew it right after I had an abdominal obstruction and went through an emergency EX-Lap. During the operation, my surgeon found a tumor near my ileocecal area. It was already 10 inches in size. We sent the specimen for biopsy. Then, after weeks, the result was positive. It was already stage 3. That was almost two years ago. After I received a year of treatment, I can say I feel better now. I'm not yet a survivor, but I'm better.

Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?