Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?

Comment from: Chris brakley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

My wife was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer. The doctor said he got all the cancer out after removing about twelve inches of her colon. Thinking she was cancer free we went home very happy. It took the doctors months to figure out she didn't have gastritis, but stage 4 small colon cancer. She started having terrible pain in her abdomen, and vomiting but no blood in either. I had a general surgeon do surgery and it was supposed to be laparoscopic but ended up being exploratory. They had to remove a foot and a half of her small colon (doing a resection), her appendix, one ovary, and part of the large colon. She was on FOLFOX for 3 months and then Folfirinox for 4 months to try and get ready for surgery and the HIPEC (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy) procedure. I was just told she is not a good candidate for this surgery because the surgeon did not see enough response with the chemotherapy. Now her oncologist is putting her on Erbitux and a cancer cell blocker. I am nervous because of possible side effects.

Comment from: HP, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I noted that my lower abdomen on the right side was slightly distended and painful to touch. I went to see the emergency room doctor as I thought it was my appendix. They did a CAT scan and saw a suspected tumor. The next day I had surgery and the removed the tumor from my colon. It was cancerous but had not spread as the 30 odd lymph nodes were negative. My oncologist gave me an option of chemotherapy or follow. Since there was no evidence of a prophylactic benefit I chose to follow at this point.

Comment from: amy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 13

In 2013 3/4th of my colon was removed, and 19 lymph nodes. I had colon cancer stage 3 and I had no treatment because the doctor thought I was too old. Now I wonder if I should have done some treatment because now doctor thinks cancer is back, I have elevated CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen), done every 3 months. It is hard to know what to do.

Comment from: skip stewart, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in June 2009. I had a resection and 16 inches removed. I also had a biopsy on my liver which was also infected and had 5 tumors. I did a SIR-Spheres treatment and had a liver resection and 5 tumors removed (approx. 60% removed). I now have 40 tumors in my lungs, lymph nodes in my neck, on my adrenal glands, omentum and a very rare location on my cheek (removed). I have done FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Xeloda, Rituximab to stimulate platelets, Stivarga (new in September 2013), and now back on FOLFIRI. For lack of admitting defeat I am still walking and breathing without assistance. I am treated with infusions every other week with a Neulasta booster for low white blood cell counts. I am also taking Promacta to boost my platelets to between 80 and 100.

Comment from: Tessa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been diagnosed with 7 mm mass on/in colon via CAT scan. I am awaiting colonoscopy/biopsy. Symptoms were pain in right side, diarrhea, itching, anxiety, bone pain and exhaustion, 24/7, and most of all severe anemia. CAT scan shows mass, enlarged lymph nodes and fat stranding.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Experience Question: What�s your biggest challenge with living with colon cancer?
Colon Cancer - Life Change Question: What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with colon cancer?