Patient Comments: Colon Cancer - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you undergo for colon cancer?

Comment from: skip stewart, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer in June 2009. I had a resection and 16 inches removed. I also had a biopsy on my liver which was also infected and had 5 tumors. I did a SIR-Spheres treatment and had a liver resection and 5 tumors removed (approx. 60% removed). I now have 40 tumors in my lungs, lymph nodes in my neck, on my adrenal glands, omentum and a very rare location on my cheek (removed). I have done FOLFOX, FOLFIRI, Xeloda, Rituximab to stimulate platelets, Stivarga (new in September 2013), and now back on FOLFIRI. For lack of admitting defeat I am still walking and breathing without assistance. I am treated with infusions every other week with a Neulasta booster for low white blood cell counts. I am also taking Promacta to boost my platelets to between 80 and 100.

Comment from: vij, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My grandmother, who is almost 80, has a tumor in her large intestine, which is very close to her kidney. It was confirmed by a colonoscopy that she has the tumor. She couldn't eat, as the tumor was blocking thing. They have installed a shunt into the intestine, but the doctors say the tumor has to be taken out. They also said that she is so old that she can't undergo surgery or chemotherapy. I'd like to know if there is any alternative that could help her.

Comment from: dakota, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

First, I had severe abdominal pain on my right side. It was too late for a colonoscopy, so a right , right hemicolectomy was done. This was followed by 10 months of chemo via an infusaport. Four out of 10 lymph nodes were affected. I chose to have the infusaport removed.

Comment from: Opihi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I underwent surgery and I have a temporary colostomy bag, which will be reversed after four weeks of radiation, given five days a week. I opted not to have chemo even though it was suggested! My decision was based on researching the pros and cons of chemo and hopefully I have made the right decision.

Comment from: FRANK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I was diagnosed with colon cancer recently after a routine examination. I was very fortunate and most of all blessed that the surgery performed took all the cancer at stage 1. I'm now recuperating. This is my second week. I urge all readers to take time to have regular colon examinations done by a specialist as part of their health reviews. I waited and I had to do what I had to do. I was very fortunate. I have been given a new beginning, a new start, a second chance in life.

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?
Colon Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with colon cancer?