- Antiaging Tips & Secrets Slideshow Pictures
- Cosmetic Surgery Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Skin Quiz
- Find a local Dermatologist in your town
- Introduction to collagen injections and injectable fillers
- What are collagen injections?
- Why do lines appear?
- How do collagen injections work?
- Other injectable fillers
- What can I expect with collagen injections?
- How many injections will I need?
- Who is a good candidate for collagen injections or injectable fillers?
- Why aren't creams containing collagen enough to smooth out lines?
Quick GuideCosmetic Procedures: Botox, Laser, Peels Before and After Photos
Why Aren't Creams Containing Collagen Enough to Smooth Out Lines?
Collagen creams work only on the skin surface. A moisturizer with or without collagen cannot penetrate the skin and is not designed to be absorbed. No moisturizer can undo the cumulative effect of collagen loss. Creams primarily slow the rate of water loss from the skin and help keep the skin supple.
WebMD Medical Reference
FDA: "Wrinkle Relief: Injectable Cosmetic Fillers."
American Academy of Dermatology: "Cosmetic Procedures: Fillers."
Reviewed by Michael J. Wheatley, MD on June 12, 2012