Patient Comments: Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your case of colitis?

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was put on entocort, asacol, bentyl, and antidiarrheal medications for microscopic colitis. I'm now just on the entocort, bentyl, and antidiarrheal meds. When I have flares, I have to up my entorort from one pill a day to 3, and I have to take 6 asacols a day.

Comment from: lasvegasblues, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My colitis was treated with 2 antibiotics: Cipro and Flagyl for 2 weeks, as well as 2 liters of fluids, intravenous (IV) Protonix and an anti-nausea medication.

Comment from: r, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have had two recent occurrences of ischemic colitis. I am a 49- year-old woman and had an 8-inch segment of my colon diagnosed with IC by colonoscopy. At the time, the blood work showed a Protein C deficiency. I was prescribed anticoagulant treatment and have been on Coumadin since February 1, 2013. Last week I suffered another incident of ischemic colitis and was hospitalized. A flexible sigmoidoscopy confirmed the diagnosis, and this time the ischemia was in a different spot and not as severe as last time. The doctors seem to be at a loss as to what to do next. I have asked my doctor if there is any correlation between transvaginal mesh and ischemia. I had a hysterectomy and bladder sling in June of 2010.

Comment from: milan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had started feeling severe pain in my right side lower abdomen, which after diagnosis revealed gall stones. After undergoing surgery 1 year back, I developed post-surgical disorders frequented with vomits, lose motions abdominal pain and restlessness; which later on resulted in colitis. Now it has percolated further down and now I am suffering from hemorrhoids. Although no pain is there but I am on restricted diet and Ayurveda treatment. Diet control is the main treatment made available. As there is no Gall Bladder now, so fat intake is poor and am losing health at the same time. Energy loss is so great that sometimes I am not even able to stand and my legs start to tremble. I am keeping fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Ayurveda treatment has been able to contain most of the symptoms mentioned above and I am hopeful of full recovery within this year.

Comment from: Karin, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 03

I am having loose bowel movements, which started around the holidays. I blamed the food consumed during that time, plus having family visiting. Antibiotics did not help, so I then had a colonoscopy performed and had polyps removed. I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was put on Lialda, and the loose bowel movements became much more frequent. Pepto and Imodium were suggested, but it has not stopped. I am still trying to do my workouts at the gym regardless. I am basically a healthy person with a healthy lifestyle. I am into yoga, cycling, and I also do yard work and otherwise enjoy life. I am on no meds otherwise except multivitamins.

Comment from: felix10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

They treated my colitis with Cipro and Flagyl.

Comment from: Gramma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have suffered from moderate ulcerative colitis for approximately 2 years. I am taking Pentasa, also trying wheat free diet. Do any of the females with this disease, have a lot of pressure through the vagina, & weakness in the legs,or lower back pain?

Colitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with colitis.
Colitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?