Patient Comments: Colitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your case of colitis?

Comment from: Karin, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 03

I am having loose bowel movements, which started around the holidays. I blamed the food consumed during that time, plus having family visiting. Antibiotics did not help, so I then had a colonoscopy performed and had polyps removed. I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was put on Lialda, and the loose bowel movements became much more frequent. Pepto and Imodium were suggested, but it has not stopped. I am still trying to do my workouts at the gym regardless. I am basically a healthy person with a healthy lifestyle. I am into yoga, cycling, and I also do yard work and otherwise enjoy life. I am on no meds otherwise except multivitamins.

Comment from: Gramma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I have suffered from moderate ulcerative colitis for approximately 2 years. I am taking Pentasa, also trying wheat free diet. Do any of the females with this disease, have a lot of pressure through the vagina, & weakness in the legs,or lower back pain?

Comment from: Carol, Published: April 19

I was diagnosed six years ago with Colitis. I was put on steroids and other anti-inflammatory drugs. I would get mild relief with this. Three years ago I underwent surgery, ended up with an ileostomy and have not looked back. It was the best decision I have made in a long time. I now have my life back

Comment from: Josey, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

When I was 11 the hospital told me I was the youngest child they have ever diagnosed with colitis, but I was so young they didn't tell me what type, but the thing is all I had was horrible pain in my lower stomach and a very high fever. I was in the hospital for 1 week and I would love to know what I have. I'm only 14 now and have to take an acid reducer everyday or my tummy will hurt and I'll throw up.

Comment from: neener77, 25-34 Female Published: April 28

To the c-section woman. I have had severe pain for the last 7 years in lower abdomen requiring me to visit the ER countless amounts of times. The doctors only evaluated me as having female problems and not being able to find the source of my pain. The pain is worse than being in labor. My periods are unbearable. Pain with bowel movements and pain with urination. The doctors say I'm a confusing case. Now a new sample blood with bowel movement. I have an appointment this week for the doctor. I am nervous that they will not be able to help me again. All I know is that I am almost tired of living with this pain. Everyone has to urinate and have bowel movements so the pain is almost daily now.

Comment from: gracie, 55-64 Female Published: February 14

I have had random sessions of severe spasms followed by explosive diarrhea with profuse sweating and being so weak I have to lay down immediately for at least 15 minutes. This has been going on for over 20 years and I have not been able to establish any patterns as I may not have it for months.

Colitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with colitis.
Colitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?