Patient Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with colitis.

Comment from: Jamivers, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have had 2 colitis attacks, both with similar symptoms. I would get a sudden urge to make a bowel movement. But both times I wasn't home and as the minutes passed, I got light headed, dizzy, sweaty, and hot, with labored breathing, eventually passing out. Then I would bleed every time I felt like I had to make a bowel movement, after the initial diarrhea. I had gas pains in the stomach. A very frightening experience. I wish I knew what to do to avoid these episodes!

Comment from: babsy998, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with infectious colitis in 1998 and then microscopic (both types). I have times where I do feel better but then I go backwards and have abdominal pain with bloody mucus, loose stools that fill the entire bowl. It is something I hope you never have to experience. I was hospitalized a few times as my body was exhausted. I was going to the bathroom 40 times a day at one point! Medicines don't seem to do much and I am just so tired of it all!

Comment from: Frustrated, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had ischemic colitis quite a few times and have been hospitalized with it a few times. My symptoms are weird. It begins with severe cramping and the whites of my eyes turn blood red and my head feels like it is going to explode. Then I have diarrhea and that turns into nothing but blood. Then I go to the emergency room and end up being hospitalized for a few days. I have had no medication to stop this from happening and have no idea why it happens. I have been getting some form of colitis about every 2 months. I need help for this and don't know what to do about it.

Comment from: Badsushi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I bought some sushi while shopping, and 24 hours later I had the worst cramps in my stomach, and extreme diarrhea. I went to a hospital, they thought it was my appendix bursting, did keyhole surgery and saw how inflamed my colon was. Five days in hospital and antibiotics, they found out the cause of my colitis was salmonella poisoning from the sushi. I had shared that sushi with my 2 year old son who was admitted to hospital at the same time with diarrhea, lethargy and stomach pains. Not a fun experience and need a fair bit of follow up treatment. Be careful of what you buy!

Comment from: Jeanbean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was on a 7 day cruise when on the third day I had an acute infectious colitis attack. I didn't have the expected cramping or stomach pain. I just felt very week, vomited some blood, and then the diarrhea started which I had no control over. It lasted two days. I was admitted to the ship's sickbay. My blood pressure was 53/47 and I was severely dehydrated. I was given 21 units of saline in the 3 days I was in sickbay. After arriving home I spent 6 days in the hospital. I received an endoscopy and colonoscopy which showed my stomach and entire intestinal track was infected. I was given 2 units of blood and put on antibiotics. After the hospital stay, I then spent 5 weeks in rehabilitation getting my muscles and strength back. I can once again take care of myself. I never want to go through this ever again.

Comment from: deje, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

In May 2014 I was hospitalized with ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome). I remained in the hospital for 6 weeks. I am now nearly 100 percent recovered. I had a colonoscopy last week which revealed the colitis. I do not have the typical symptoms diarrhea or abdominal pain, but I am constipated and produced significant gas.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I had a perfect colon according to my test 5 years ago at age 62. Six months ago, I was diagnosed with colitis; not ulcerated he said. I didn't know until reading this that there are different names/kinds. I took some red pills 3 times a day, I can't remember the name, for 3 months. They didn't help so I quit. I'm taking a 50 billion probiotic now and drinking tons of water. My symptoms are better. I started with explosive diarrhea which initiated what I call an attack. Rapid diarrhea followed by profuse sweating, dizziness and feeling I was passing out. I used cold cloth and slept for an hour after that. Make sure you are taking the highest bacteria probiotic you can find. That's been my lifesaver. Not suggesting you quit your medications, I'm going back to the doctor and asking him to try something else. My heart goes out to anyone suffering from this life altering disease. By the way, I have a stressful life and trying to calm that down. Stress is not good for so many reasons. It is difficult to eat as well, I have to force myself. I lost 25 lb. in 6 months along with muscle; not good. Be sure to eat and drink well. Good Luck!

Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your case of colitis?
Colitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?