Patient Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with colitis.

Comment from: Anita, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have suffered with colitis for over 2 years now. I am not on any medication because I did not want to risk the side effects, especially when my doctor said they may not even work. I have tried probiotics, diet changes, etc. I also have acid reflux. I never knew a natural body function could be so painful. I have sat in a tub of warm water and cried on many occasions. One of the main things I don't understand is I don't lose any weight at all. It seems I have to go to the bathroom 10 minutes after a meal so it's like food goes right through, but no weight loss.

Comment from: pawpawdoug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been battling colitis for 8 years. I have been on Entocort from the start, started with 3 a day and then after several months 2 a day. I was on that for a year and a half then 1 a day. I still got flare ups with no rhyme or reason, though I have watched what I would eat. When I have flare ups 2 weeks or longer I will not leave the house. I had at first lost a lot of weight. I was still working so I would eat nothing going in at the top end that didn't run out of the bottom end. I went from 185 to 164 lb. I feel run down all the time and lower back is a killer. I went a year and a half lately with no flare up. The doctor during this time worked me down to skipping two days and taking 1 capsule. I have retired and in this last good stretch been eating anything and topped the 208 lb. mark but have not had a flare up now for 4 weeks, yippee!

Comment from: Jamivers, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have had 2 colitis attacks, both with similar symptoms. I would get a sudden urge to make a bowel movement. But both times I wasn't home and as the minutes passed, I got light headed, dizzy, sweaty, and hot, with labored breathing, eventually passing out. Then I would bleed every time I felt like I had to make a bowel movement, after the initial diarrhea. I had gas pains in the stomach. A very frightening experience. I wish I knew what to do to avoid these episodes!

Comment from: babsy998, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with infectious colitis in 1998 and then microscopic (both types). I have times where I do feel better but then I go backwards and have abdominal pain with bloody mucus, loose stools that fill the entire bowl. It is something I hope you never have to experience. I was hospitalized a few times as my body was exhausted. I was going to the bathroom 40 times a day at one point! Medicines don't seem to do much and I am just so tired of it all!

Comment from: Frustrated, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had ischemic colitis quite a few times and have been hospitalized with it a few times. My symptoms are weird. It begins with severe cramping and the whites of my eyes turn blood red and my head feels like it is going to explode. Then I have diarrhea and that turns into nothing but blood. Then I go to the emergency room and end up being hospitalized for a few days. I have had no medication to stop this from happening and have no idea why it happens. I have been getting some form of colitis about every 2 months. I need help for this and don't know what to do about it.

Comment from: alison, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am registered disabled and have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I was working as a cleaner and one day I had a pain go through my legs. As the years went by my legs started going numb and I was still in pain. My legs have gone underneath me and I went for test after test and still not diagnosed. My sister told me that I could have colitis. My bowels go when I walk and I cannot walk very far due to pain and bowel movement.

Comment from: doug, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) for 20 years with all levels of flare-ups, lasting for months or a week. I have been ok for the last 2 years, but I never know. I take 2 1.5g Lialda pills each morning. I see the gastroenterologist every year.

Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your case of colitis?
Colitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?