Patient Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with colitis.

Comment from: pawpawdoug, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been battling colitis for 8 years. I have been on Entocort from the start, started with 3 a day and then after several months 2 a day. I was on that for a year and a half then 1 a day. I still got flare ups with no rhyme or reason, though I have watched what I would eat. When I have flare ups 2 weeks or longer I will not leave the house. I had at first lost a lot of weight. I was still working so I would eat nothing going in at the top end that didn't run out of the bottom end. I went from 185 to 164 lb. I feel run down all the time and lower back is a killer. I went a year and a half lately with no flare up. The doctor during this time worked me down to skipping two days and taking 1 capsule. I have retired and in this last good stretch been eating anything and topped the 208 lb. mark but have not had a flare up now for 4 weeks, yippee!

Comment from: Jamivers, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have had 2 colitis attacks, both with similar symptoms. I would get a sudden urge to make a bowel movement. But both times I wasn't home and as the minutes passed, I got light headed, dizzy, sweaty, and hot, with labored breathing, eventually passing out. Then I would bleed every time I felt like I had to make a bowel movement, after the initial diarrhea. I had gas pains in the stomach. A very frightening experience. I wish I knew what to do to avoid these episodes!

Comment from: babsy998, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with infectious colitis in 1998 and then microscopic (both types). I have times where I do feel better but then I go backwards and have abdominal pain with bloody mucus, loose stools that fill the entire bowl. It is something I hope you never have to experience. I was hospitalized a few times as my body was exhausted. I was going to the bathroom 40 times a day at one point! Medicines don't seem to do much and I am just so tired of it all!

Comment from: Frustrated, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had ischemic colitis quite a few times and have been hospitalized with it a few times. My symptoms are weird. It begins with severe cramping and the whites of my eyes turn blood red and my head feels like it is going to explode. Then I have diarrhea and that turns into nothing but blood. Then I go to the emergency room and end up being hospitalized for a few days. I have had no medication to stop this from happening and have no idea why it happens. I have been getting some form of colitis about every 2 months. I need help for this and don't know what to do about it.

Comment from: Badsushi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I bought some sushi while shopping, and 24 hours later I had the worst cramps in my stomach, and extreme diarrhea. I went to a hospital, they thought it was my appendix bursting, did keyhole surgery and saw how inflamed my colon was. Five days in hospital and antibiotics, they found out the cause of my colitis was salmonella poisoning from the sushi. I had shared that sushi with my 2 year old son who was admitted to hospital at the same time with diarrhea, lethargy and stomach pains. Not a fun experience and need a fair bit of follow up treatment. Be careful of what you buy!

Comment from: doug, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) for 20 years with all levels of flare-ups, lasting for months or a week. I have been ok for the last 2 years, but I never know. I take 2 1.5g Lialda pills each morning. I see the gastroenterologist every year.

Comment from: daisy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I think I may have colitis.

Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your case of colitis?
Colitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?