Patient Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with colitis.

Comment from: Bellypain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I just had my first and hopefully last bout with ischemic colitis. I have had irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) since my early twenties. About three years ago I started probiotic and have done exceptionally well. For some reason I got careless and wasn"t taking it regularly. I ended up with severe abdominal pain, rectal bleeding and an elevated WBC. I am starting to feel better after spending 5 days in hospital. I will be taking my probiotic faithfully until my time is up. Live and learn.

Comment from: kerrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

My colitis started with severe pains in my stomach, the worst ever...like labor pains. I ran to the loo and was passing blood with diarrhea. I was so very sick at the same time, but the pains were so bad I phoned for an ambulance. I am 43 years old mum of three. I have had the same 12 years ago, exactly the same, so this is my second flare up I guess.

Comment from: statey388, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

My first experience with colitis was severe cramping. At first I thought it was my liver shutting down. It was in my descending colon which was right behind my liver. Cramping and pain lasted over 8 hours. Colonoscopy showed the area of the ulceration. I had been passing a mucous-y plug like object in my stools for a few weeks. I had one other incident similar to the first. I was put on Aspira and have done well since till last night. I am now experiencing bleeding diarrhea. I intend to follow up with my doctor on this change.

Comment from: LC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I just got diagnosed with microscopic/collagenous colitis after my 1st colonoscopy. Now on Entocort which, along with a reduced gluten and dairy diet and use of Tylenol rather than Advil, has helped with the diarrhea and cramping I"ve suffered with for too long. Wondering if anyone else with colitis has experienced severe, debilitating episodes of burning lower back pain with their disease symptoms. My last such episode was now 4 months ago (I had four total last year which last for nearly a week at a time), and I don"t know if colitis could possibly be the cause or if it"s something totally unrelated instead.

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 61 years old and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC) last July. My symptoms were bloody diarrhea and mucus. I had some cramping but not bad, but the blood scared me since my father had colon cancer. The gastroenterologist did colonoscopy and said it was UC, and put me on balsalazide, which didn"t help that much, then Asacol HD, I couldn"t afford it, and then Lialda. I had a bad attack of cramping this past weekend. Don"t know what caused it but I called the doctor and now am on 2 antibiotics plus I"m back on balsalazide. I am so disgusted; about ready to try holistic medicine.

Comment from: Vijay, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have pain in the abdomen. After diagnosis by sonography doctor found colitis, thickening of ascending wall of colon.

Comment from: Louise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in the year 2000. Initially I was put on to medication and suppositories to treat, however when I realized the medication was life-long, I sought assistance from a holistic doctor and dietician. I discovered foods that can definitely trigger an attack, I learnt how to eat to calm the angry internal response to an attack, I also had to try and minimize stress and I went onto a variety of Usana vitamins - these are pharmaceutical grade which is important for healing. I have a checkup in March but I expect a good answer as I rarely flare anymore.

Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your case of colitis?
Colitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?