Patient Comments: Colitis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of colitis?

Comment from: Carman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I"ve always had a problem with bowels because I am on a lot of pain medication for cancer. This past December, I started having bloody diarrhea several times a day. Since then I have diarrhea about every 7 to 10 days and nothing else. Doctor says I have colitis but not what kind. I have an appointment with a stomach doctor tomorrow. I sure hope he can help me.

Comment from: felix10, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I started out with fever and abdominal pain. I could not bring my fever down lower than 99. Once the medicines wore off, my fever spiked back up to 102. With my fever, I had severe abdominal pain and bloating to the point I could barely walk or roll over in bed. I could only bear this for 3 days and went to the doctor where they sent me for a CT scan with showed my diagnosis of colitis.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was just diagnosed with ischemic colitis within the last 3 months. I know when I am getting a flare up. At first I get cramps then I get extremely hot, where my body turns beet red and I feel like I am burning up, then I get sick to stomach and then starts the diarrhea. My tongue also goes numb. This has happened to me 3 times since I was diagnosed with the exact same symptoms.

Comment from: Gloria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Next spring is my 10th ulcerative colitis anniversary. My symptoms include severe cramping, frequent bowel movements, bloody stools, explosive diarrhea, bloating, and growling guts. Also associated inflammation all over the place, gum disease, achy joints, etc. I've suffered anemia as a result of B12 deficiency and now get regular shots. I take Asacol daily and steroids when my flares are wicked and last for months. I take probiotics and Husk, fish liver oil, and D-vitamins, turmeric, calcium and magnesium. I started taking L-glutamine a few months back and in just a few weeks I became absolutely symptom free. I stopped being careful with my diet after a while and my symptoms caught up with me again. I use Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) to keep my symptoms at a minimum; it changed my life when I discovered it three years ago. I actually believe that SCD diet + probiotics + L-glutamine do a lot more for my quality of life than my medication.

Comment from: darlla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with mild colitis. I was never in any pain or lost any weight. I did have blood in my stool. I am on a medication for two years and I feel fine now. I wonder if I should continue with this medication, not happy to take it.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had very bad diarrhea and abdominal pain for 3 months. I thought it was due to stress, but then I became dehydrated and ended up in the ER.

Comment from: shurleebear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I developed blood in the stool, bloating, sudden weight gain (10 lbs.), and malaise. I recently had flexible sigmoidoscopy. They had taken a biopsy because they suspected colitis.

Colitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with colitis.
Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your case of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?