Patient Comments: Colitis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of colitis?

Comment from: Eileen, 65-74 (Patient) Published: September 29

About 3 weeks ago I just stopped having bowel movements only chunks of mucus, clear mucus. I went to the doctor who got me an appointment with a gastroenterologist for a month away but I got sicker and sicker, with high fever (102.1) and then involuntary mucus and pus bowel movements, and severe pain. I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed me with severe colitis and put me on Flagyl and Cipro for 3 days. I wanted to die but feel better now. This stuff is horrible.

Comment from: gary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I have colitis and for a week done nothing but go to the toilet with 'running like water' stools, but no blood. Everything I eat or drink goes right through me, I have lost weight and feel very tired.

Comment from: lele, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with colitis on June 4, 2015. I felt sick hours before, and woke up feeling nauseous and felt like I was going to lose control of my bowels. Well, long story short, an ambulance was called because I couldn't move off the floor, and I was diagnosed with the colitis. Now I have to watch what I eat and take medicine.

Comment from: Carman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I"ve always had a problem with bowels because I am on a lot of pain medication for cancer. This past December, I started having bloody diarrhea several times a day. Since then I have diarrhea about every 7 to 10 days and nothing else. Doctor says I have colitis but not what kind. I have an appointment with a stomach doctor tomorrow. I sure hope he can help me.

Comment from: felix10, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I started out with fever and abdominal pain. I could not bring my fever down lower than 99. Once the medicines wore off, my fever spiked back up to 102. With my fever, I had severe abdominal pain and bloating to the point I could barely walk or roll over in bed. I could only bear this for 3 days and went to the doctor where they sent me for a CT scan with showed my diagnosis of colitis.

Comment from: darlla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with mild colitis. I was never in any pain or lost any weight. I did have blood in my stool. I am on a medication for two years and I feel fine now. I wonder if I should continue with this medication, not happy to take it.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was just diagnosed with ischemic colitis within the last 3 months. I know when I am getting a flare up. At first I get cramps then I get extremely hot, where my body turns beet red and I feel like I am burning up, then I get sick to stomach and then starts the diarrhea. My tongue also goes numb. This has happened to me 3 times since I was diagnosed with the exact same symptoms.

Comment from: Gloria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Next spring is my 10th ulcerative colitis anniversary. My symptoms include severe cramping, frequent bowel movements, bloody stools, explosive diarrhea, bloating, and growling guts. Also associated inflammation all over the place, gum disease, achy joints, etc. I've suffered anemia as a result of B12 deficiency and now get regular shots. I take Asacol daily and steroids when my flares are wicked and last for months. I take probiotics and Husk, fish liver oil, and D-vitamins, turmeric, calcium and magnesium. I started taking L-glutamine a few months back and in just a few weeks I became absolutely symptom free. I stopped being careful with my diet after a while and my symptoms caught up with me again. I use Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) to keep my symptoms at a minimum; it changed my life when I discovered it three years ago. I actually believe that SCD diet + probiotics + L-glutamine do a lot more for my quality of life than my medication.

Colitis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with colitis.
Colitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your case of colitis?
Colitis - Diagnosis Question: How was your case of colitis diagnosed?
Colitis - Type Question: What type of colitis do you have?