- Colitis is inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. It may cause abdominal pain and diarrhea with or without blood. Fever may be present.
- There are numerous causes of colitis including infection, inflammatory bowel disease, ischemic, and microscopic colitis.
- Blood in the stool is never normal and should not be ignored.
- Depending upon the history and physical examination, further testing may be required to find the cause of colitis.
- Treatment of colitis often is supportive and is aimed at maintaining adequate hydration and pain control while a diagnosis is being pursued. Continue Reading
Reviewed on 2/4/2015
Get the Latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!