- What brand names are available for colchicine?
- Is colchicine available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for colchicine?
- What are the uses for colchicine?
- What are the side effects of colchicine?
- What is the dosage for colchicine?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with colchicine?
- What else should I know about colchicine?
What brand names are available for colchicine?
Is colchicine available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No
Do I need a prescription for colchicine?
What are the uses for colchicine?
Colchicine is used for the treatment of acute flares of gout. It also is used for treating FMF in adults and children 4 years of age or older. Other unapproved uses of colchicine include treatment of pseudogout, amyloidosis, and scleroderma. These unapproved uses of colchicine require further evaluation.
What are the side effects of colchicine?
The most common side effects of colchicine are dose-related and include:
- abdominal pain, and
- diarrhea. Colchicine also may
- cause hair loss,
- weakness, and
- nerve irritation.
Quick GuideGout Attack Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Diet
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.