Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx) located between the buttocks is referred to as coccydynia. Coccydynia is associated with pain and tenderness at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. The pain is often worsened by sitting.
Coccydynia is often caused by an injury, but may occur seemingly spontaneously. There are many causes of tailbone pain which can mimic coccydynia, including sciatica, infection,
pilonidal cysts, and fractured bone.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/5/2012
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Coccydynia
In This Article
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures) Article
- What is a broken bone (fracture)?
- What causes a broken bone?
- What are the most common types of broken bones?
- Compression fracture
- Skull fracture
- Stress fracture
- What are the most
common bones that are broken?
- Broken hand or fingers
- Broken wrist
- Broken hip
- Broken leg
- Broken toe
- Broken shoulder
- What are the signs and symptoms of a broken bone?
- When should I call a doctor if I think I have broken a bone?
- How is a broken bone diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a broken bone?
- What about surgery for a broken bone?
- How can fractures be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a broken bone?
A pilonidal cyst is a cyst that forms near the cleft of the buttocks. The cysts are thought to be caused by the penetration of...learn more »
In This Article
Pilonidal Cyst Article
- Pilonidal cyst facts
- What is a pilonidal cyst?
- What causes a pilonidal cyst?
- What are pilonidal cyst symptoms and signs?
- What are risk factors for a pilonidal cyst?
- How do doctors diagnose a pilonidal cyst?
- Are there any home remedies for a pilonidal cyst?
- What is the treatment for a pilonidal cyst? Is surgery necessary for pilonidal cysts?
- What is the prognosis of a pilonidal cyst?
- Is it possible to prevent a pilonidal cyst?
Sciatica pain, caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve, typically radiates from the low back to behind the thigh to below the...learn more »
Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a painful rash caused by the varicella zoster virus. Other shingles symptoms include headache,...learn more »
In This Article
- Shingles (herpes zoster) facts
- What is shingles? What does shingles look like?
- What causes shingles?
- What are risk factors for shingles?
- What is the contagious period for shingles?
- What are shingles symptoms and signs?
- How is shingles diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for shingles?
- Are there any home remedies for shingles?
- What is the duration of a shingles outbreak?
- What are complications of shingles?
- What can be done for recurrent shingles?
- What is the prognosis of shingles?
- Is it possible to prevent shingles with a vaccine?
Other Causes of Coccydynia
Examples of Medications for Coccydynia
- acetaminophen, Tylenol and Others
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Anexsia, Lortab, Lorcet, Lorcet Plus, No
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- naproxen, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List