Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: Madeline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had coccydynia since the 1980s. It never goes away and was excruciating for years. Nothing showed up in MRI or x-rays. It is thought to be nerve damage. I always use cut out cushions or donut pillow. Now I take an anti-depressant that helps lower pain, Lyrica for nerve pain and Norco twice a day. My pain level stays low now. At night I take an ice pack to bed to hold against the coccyx when sleeping on my side. You can see, I treat it at different levels, not just with Norco. Without these multi-disciplinary measures my life would be horrific.

Comment from: female patient, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 30

After surgery for scoliosis - fusing L 2 thru L 5 - not only did it not at all help the really bad left SI (sacroiliac) joint pain but I now also have extreme coccyx pain. Especially along the left side and very bottom. My left leg is weak and I trip over things easily. I've tried physical therapy, cortisone and RFA (radiofrequency ablation) injections to no avail. My life has gone from being a really active person to virtually no activity at all.

Comment from: twig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a fall in February 2012 and got coccydynia. The pain began within 2 days and has never gone away. I have had lumbar epidural, steroid injections, Norco, Celebrex and Flexeril; I have been to the chiropractor, tried acupuncture, I also had one emergency room visit. It feels as though if I poke a hole in my tailbone, the blood would fly like from a pressure cooker. I have lost my appetite and depression is creeping up on me.

Comment from: jp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been to three orthopedics, they all are giving me different diagnoses, I believe what I have is coccydynia. I have been suffering from this for the past year. It is now acute, I have tried physiotherapy, four spinal injections into the SI (sacroiliac) joint, piriformis muscle and facet joints. I also have had physical therapy upon onset of the pain and chiropractic manipulation now 2 times a week, and that is all out of pocket. I was very active, swimming, working out, etc. Now, I basically can't do anything, pain standing, pain sitting and even sleeping. Sometimes I get relief from swimming and stretching and later on there is the pain again. I have two young children ages 14 and 12 and a great husband that needs me. But, I don't want to be a burden for my family, I am supposed to take care of them. I am not optimistic anymore, sorry to say. These doctors give you hope, because they make money off of you and there is no hope for this.

Comment from: ToxicChatter, 25-34 (Patient) Published: August 13

I am working for a BPO (business process outsourcing) and have had pains on the tailbone area. I have no pain on the buttocks, only on the tailbone, but it is really giving me a hard time to sit and stand.

Comment from: Monica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I once experienced pain at my tail bone (coccydynia) after sitting for over 5 hours on the office chair. On getting up, I could not even walk well due too much pain but I went to see my doctor who treated me with tablets of Myospaz and Neurorubine and I got better.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I had one surgery for coccydynia that resulted in removing the tip of my tailbone after it was discovered during surgery to be fractured. It has been 5 months since surgery and later I had trigger point shots but pain in tailbone still exists. Surgeon discouraged and since tried everything else; trigger point shots, epidermal, physical therapy, etc. Now I am scheduled for another surgery to remove balance of tailbone.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?