Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had pain in my coccyx and/or hips and/or lower back for years. The only trauma I can think of was falling down a flight of wooden stairs many years ago. I have had x-rays, scans, etc., and nothing was found. The coccydynia pain will include spasms down my leg. I can't sit for longer than half hour before having to lie on me side, walking is almost impossible and I can't stand for long. It gets me up several time every single night. Doctors are no help, and pain relief medications are no help. Nothing helps as I have never had a clear diagnosis of anything. It is so depressing. I've lived with it for nearly 20 years.

Comment from: arnicareworksforme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was trimming trees three years ago and fell backwards/sideways off a 10 ft. ladder. I had full x-rays, no fractures. Now I have off-and-on dull ache limited to tailbone. The bone is actually aching. Suggested by a Whole Foods clerk, I began using Arnicare cream, (or gel, either works well) rubbing into bone whenever it bothers me. I get good relief from coccydynia, it works with your body heat. I was a skeptic, now keep it in my purse, bedside, never without it. It is affordable and no side effects, just relief. You can just keep applying it with no toxicity. I think my fall knocked my tailbone slightly sideways. I am 5'4', 125 lb., but I was heavily bundled, it was December. I stay off ladders now!

Comment from: Madeline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had coccydynia since the 1980s. It never goes away and was excruciating for years. Nothing showed up in MRI or x-rays. It is thought to be nerve damage. I always use cut out cushions or donut pillow. Now I take an anti-depressant that helps lower pain, Lyrica for nerve pain and Norco twice a day. My pain level stays low now. At night I take an ice pack to bed to hold against the coccyx when sleeping on my side. You can see, I treat it at different levels, not just with Norco. Without these multi-disciplinary measures my life would be horrific.

Comment from: female patient, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 30

After surgery for scoliosis - fusing L 2 thru L 5 - not only did it not at all help the really bad left SI (sacroiliac) joint pain but I now also have extreme coccyx pain. Especially along the left side and very bottom. My left leg is weak and I trip over things easily. I've tried physical therapy, cortisone and RFA (radiofrequency ablation) injections to no avail. My life has gone from being a really active person to virtually no activity at all.

Comment from: twig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a fall in February 2012 and got coccydynia. The pain began within 2 days and has never gone away. I have had lumbar epidural, steroid injections, Norco, Celebrex and Flexeril; I have been to the chiropractor, tried acupuncture, I also had one emergency room visit. It feels as though if I poke a hole in my tailbone, the blood would fly like from a pressure cooker. I have lost my appetite and depression is creeping up on me.

Comment from: jp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been to three orthopedics, they all are giving me different diagnoses, I believe what I have is coccydynia. I have been suffering from this for the past year. It is now acute, I have tried physiotherapy, four spinal injections into the SI (sacroiliac) joint, piriformis muscle and facet joints. I also have had physical therapy upon onset of the pain and chiropractic manipulation now 2 times a week, and that is all out of pocket. I was very active, swimming, working out, etc. Now, I basically can't do anything, pain standing, pain sitting and even sleeping. Sometimes I get relief from swimming and stretching and later on there is the pain again. I have two young children ages 14 and 12 and a great husband that needs me. But, I don't want to be a burden for my family, I am supposed to take care of them. I am not optimistic anymore, sorry to say. These doctors give you hope, because they make money off of you and there is no hope for this.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?