Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: Wayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I've been on narcotics for 29 years now, 17 years of methadone and the rest morphine. I was cut off my methadone once because they thought I was faking my pain. After 6 1/2 months without sleep from drug withdrawal and a near death experience, I was then put on morphine. My coccydynia still prevents me from doing things I enjoy. I've had 9 epidural injections and unknown cortisone injections. This has started making everything hurt. It is hard to urinate, sex is painful, and constipation is a constant problem. I've had my prostate checked, MRIs, CTs and no finding the root of the problem. I'm past ready to give up.

Comment from: lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had pain in my coccyx and/or hips and/or lower back for years. The only trauma I can think of was falling down a flight of wooden stairs many years ago. I have had x-rays, scans, etc., and nothing was found. The coccydynia pain will include spasms down my leg. I can't sit for longer than half hour before having to lie on me side, walking is almost impossible and I can't stand for long. It gets me up several time every single night. Doctors are no help, and pain relief medications are no help. Nothing helps as I have never had a clear diagnosis of anything. It is so depressing. I've lived with it for nearly 20 years.

Comment from: arnicareworksforme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was trimming trees three years ago and fell backwards/sideways off a 10 ft. ladder. I had full x-rays, no fractures. Now I have off-and-on dull ache limited to tailbone. The bone is actually aching. Suggested by a Whole Foods clerk, I began using Arnicare cream, (or gel, either works well) rubbing into bone whenever it bothers me. I get good relief from coccydynia, it works with your body heat. I was a skeptic, now keep it in my purse, bedside, never without it. It is affordable and no side effects, just relief. You can just keep applying it with no toxicity. I think my fall knocked my tailbone slightly sideways. I am 5'4', 125 lb., but I was heavily bundled, it was December. I stay off ladders now!

Comment from: Madeline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had coccydynia since the 1980s. It never goes away and was excruciating for years. Nothing showed up in MRI or x-rays. It is thought to be nerve damage. I always use cut out cushions or donut pillow. Now I take an anti-depressant that helps lower pain, Lyrica for nerve pain and Norco twice a day. My pain level stays low now. At night I take an ice pack to bed to hold against the coccyx when sleeping on my side. You can see, I treat it at different levels, not just with Norco. Without these multi-disciplinary measures my life would be horrific.

Comment from: female patient, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 30

After surgery for scoliosis - fusing L 2 thru L 5 - not only did it not at all help the really bad left SI (sacroiliac) joint pain but I now also have extreme coccyx pain. Especially along the left side and very bottom. My left leg is weak and I trip over things easily. I've tried physical therapy, cortisone and RFA (radiofrequency ablation) injections to no avail. My life has gone from being a really active person to virtually no activity at all.

Comment from: bobbi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My 9 year old has occasional stomach aches with bouts of diarrhea. I wonder if this could be stress related as he has no fever, vomiting, or recent sickness.

Comment from: twig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a fall in February 2012 and got coccydynia. The pain began within 2 days and has never gone away. I have had lumbar epidural, steroid injections, Norco, Celebrex and Flexeril; I have been to the chiropractor, tried acupuncture, I also had one emergency room visit. It feels as though if I poke a hole in my tailbone, the blood would fly like from a pressure cooker. I have lost my appetite and depression is creeping up on me.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?