Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: twig, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a fall in February 2012 and got coccydynia. The pain began within 2 days and has never gone away. I have had lumbar epidural, steroid injections, Norco, Celebrex and Flexeril; I have been to the chiropractor, tried acupuncture, I also had one emergency room visit. It feels as though if I poke a hole in my tailbone, the blood would fly like from a pressure cooker. I have lost my appetite and depression is creeping up on me.

Comment from: Ginny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 83 years old but still am active. I have had serious back pain most of my life due to my severe scoliosis. I have had surgery for three areas of stenosis in 1997 which alleviated the pain for about 18 months and then it recurred. I have had approximately 35 injections in my back over the years and at this point am pretty much resigned to using Celebrex and Ultram, both of which help somewhat. But I am very upset that all of a sudden I have coccydynia on top of everything else. I have had 3 injections that helped for a few days each and am scheduled for another soon. Coincidentally I have also developed severe constipation over about the same time period. I also occasionally have a problem urinating. I am wondering if all these things are related.

Comment from: tabascocat213, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was on our work shuttle, and as I sat down, the bus took off suddenly. I was propelled backwards and down onto the seat, where two seatbelt inserts (metal) were sticking upwards. I landed on them, right on my tailbone. It hurt a lot at the time, but the pain eased off. That was about two months ago. Since then, the pain has begun to escalate again, and it is easily as bad as when the injury was done. Bleh. Not encouraging that effective treatment of this, among nearly every pain I've had in life, seems to escape modern western medicine.

Comment from: jennyone, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Sitting have gotten painful I'm finding out it's only when I say on my bed, at work when sitting I have not experience an pain when sitting, Lately I have to lay on my side after sitting for periods of time in my bed, the feeling is strange it almost feel like the "cushion" is gone from my buttocks, putting something soft under to sit on helps somewhat but the pain/throbbing is still present. I'm 57 going through menopause.

Comment from: tango898, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had tailbone (coccyx) pain going on about 6-8 months. The pain is worsened by prolonged sitting and when trying to stand, it feels similar to what I imagine it would feel like to having a garden stake impaled on that area. It has gotten worse in the last 3 months for even walking. I have not fallen or have had any injury to that area. I do have RA and not sure if that is part of the reason for it starting. Finally seeing my PCP and finding out if anything short of surgery can be done.

Comment from: SUECAMPBELL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am 70 years young, first problem was I fell skating at 11 years old, I could not sit because when it was time to get up, I could not. Over the years many x-rays and MRIs were no help, last week my daughter took me to emergency room. In one of the best trauma centers they x-rayed and took CT scan, but could find nothing, but 3 days later we went to one of the top spinal doctors. From the same film he saw a cracked vertebrae, could not even see the end of tailbone, took new film of his own, and said my tailbone was enlarged dramatically. He gave me new pain medicine, muscle relaxer and something for arthritis.

Comment from: Lushdon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from coccydynia for two years. The orthopedic surgeon administered three Cortizone shots under anesthesia. I have had physical therapy upon onset of the pain and chiropractic manipulation. I recently went through 6 weeks of physiotherapy. The therapist thinks I have periformis syndrome. The periformis muscle in the hip is pinching my sciatic nerve. I have had relief from the pain but the tailbone is still sore.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?