Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: taylor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

In March 2014 my breast became quite painful and very hot. The nipple was enlarged and my breast resembled an overripe tomato. A needle biopsy and a mammogram were done. I was then scheduled for outpatient surgery and the breast, containing a large amount of pus, was drained. The incision was left open to heal naturally. By September I had contracted pneumonia and the breast had filled again. After spending 2 weeks in hospital being treated for pneumonia, my breast was again drained and incision was stitched, leaving just a small ¼ inch tube near nipple. The day I left hospital the tube was removed and the area stitched. That incision has never healed and I often find my night clothes and sheets speckled with blood. I have also spent the past 12 months on oral antibiotics. I experience incredible pain that radiates from the breast, under my arm or down my arm and occasionally pain spreads to other breast. I had an ultrasound done last week and fortunately it did not show any masses. The doctor has offered me two choices; admit me to hospital for a series of intramuscular antibiotics or remove the breast. One side effect to all the antibiotics was the fact that numerous teeth crumbled and I was admitted to hospital, put under general anesthesia and 5 teeth removed. As I suffer from COPD general anesthesia is not the best option but we shall see what my doctor says next week.

Comment from: Wayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I've been on narcotics for 29 years now, 17 years of methadone and the rest morphine. I was cut off my methadone once because they thought I was faking my pain. After 6 1/2 months without sleep from drug withdrawal and a near death experience, I was then put on morphine. My coccydynia still prevents me from doing things I enjoy. I've had 9 epidural injections and unknown cortisone injections. This has started making everything hurt. It is hard to urinate, sex is painful, and constipation is a constant problem. I've had my prostate checked, MRIs, CTs and no finding the root of the problem. I'm past ready to give up.

Comment from: lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I've had pain in my coccyx and/or hips and/or lower back for years. The only trauma I can think of was falling down a flight of wooden stairs many years ago. I have had x-rays, scans, etc., and nothing was found. The coccydynia pain will include spasms down my leg. I can't sit for longer than half hour before having to lie on me side, walking is almost impossible and I can't stand for long. It gets me up several time every single night. Doctors are no help, and pain relief medications are no help. Nothing helps as I have never had a clear diagnosis of anything. It is so depressing. I've lived with it for nearly 20 years.

Comment from: arnicareworksforme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was trimming trees three years ago and fell backwards/sideways off a 10 ft. ladder. I had full x-rays, no fractures. Now I have off-and-on dull ache limited to tailbone. The bone is actually aching. Suggested by a Whole Foods clerk, I began using Arnicare cream, (or gel, either works well) rubbing into bone whenever it bothers me. I get good relief from coccydynia, it works with your body heat. I was a skeptic, now keep it in my purse, bedside, never without it. It is affordable and no side effects, just relief. You can just keep applying it with no toxicity. I think my fall knocked my tailbone slightly sideways. I am 5'4', 125 lb., but I was heavily bundled, it was December. I stay off ladders now!

Comment from: Madeline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had coccydynia since the 1980s. It never goes away and was excruciating for years. Nothing showed up in MRI or x-rays. It is thought to be nerve damage. I always use cut out cushions or donut pillow. Now I take an anti-depressant that helps lower pain, Lyrica for nerve pain and Norco twice a day. My pain level stays low now. At night I take an ice pack to bed to hold against the coccyx when sleeping on my side. You can see, I treat it at different levels, not just with Norco. Without these multi-disciplinary measures my life would be horrific.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?