Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: lashall43, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

My tailbone pain started in the middle of 2011, I put up with it as long as I could. I finally went to see my doctor in February 2012. Of course I ended up in pain management. I have had three injections, and am getting ready to have a fourth. I'm on pain medicine now. First it was Hydrocodone, now I'm on Oxycodone, a much stronger drug. But the pain will not go away, it just came out of nowhere. I was thinking it came from sitting on hard chairs at my church. But I'm in pain all the time and it will not go away. Not sure what to do next.

Comment from: Charles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

Several weeks ago, I slipped off a small ladder, backwards. I went down hard, on concrete, hitting my elbow, head and tailbone. The lump on my head went away and my elbow feels fine now. It has now dawned on me why sitting upright and doing situps, pains my tailbone. I am not in severe pain by any means but I'm beginning to think that the lingering pain is from my fall. I suppose it's time to visit my doctor.

Comment from: rykerjem, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have cocydynia due to levaquin and predisone posioning. The MRI shows extreme inflammation to this area. The pain is horrendous, I cannot walk nor sit. I cannot take steroids or pain meds. I cannot get the inflammation to go away and cannot take anti-inflammatories as this makes the levaquin damage worse. I cannot live like this much longer. It has been 5 months of shearing pain.

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I have been experiencing tailbone, sacral area pain for the past year. Very neurogenic type symptoms. I have a Tarlov cyst on my S3-S4 nerve root and according to doctors that is not causing my symptoms, although information online states it can be symptomatic and all the symptoms mentioned I have. How can you definitely diagnosis coccyx pain? I've had no specific diagnosis yet and I have tried every neurogenic pain medicine, 3 epidural injections, anti-inflammatories and nothing helps. For the gentleman who is having intermittent pain when waking up, it could be proctalgia fugax. I am so frustrated I could scream.

Comment from: Tailbone pain lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I overdid it. I was traveling by car, lots of sitting, and lots of walking. I came home exhausted with lower back pain, but tolerable. After a week something aggravated it, perhaps some heavy lifting or maybe even sex. My coccyx hurts along with the lower part of my tailbone, and deep in my groin, more while sitting. It feels like I'm sitting on a rock. It also hurts when I'm lying directly on my tailbone. I need to lie on my side which is now sore as it's taking the brunt of the load. The doctor is not very helpful, after 2 months of pain he finally ordered an MRI but not of the coccyx region. He says it is arthritis, but I don't think my symptoms correspond. Although it could be. In the beginning walking helped relieve the pain. Now it gets worse after a short walk. I thought it was my sciatica piriformis muscle, but now I think it is a stress fracture.

Comment from: CrainHouse, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

For the past five months, I have been getting pain in my tail bone, and I have seen my doctor about it. She explained it is coccydynia. I was then given medicine and the pain calmed down slightly, although the pain was still there, it was bearable. It has worsened. I am still taking the medicine two times a day, as it explains on the packet, but I still get pain when sitting down on school chairs or benches and when I try to get up after sitting for both long and short periods of time.

Comment from: kimmymo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

My pain started after I was in month long training sessions and driving. It has been going on for about 9 months now. Sitting for long periods is awful, especially in meetings. I must look crazy trying to switch my position constantly. I have had an X-ray, CAT scan and MRI, all show no fracture, no bruising? I swear when I sit in the car I feel like I am sitting on a golf ball. Sitting on a tailbone pillow helps, but this is crazy.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?