Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: tabascocat213, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was on our work shuttle, and as I sat down, the bus took off suddenly. I was propelled backwards and down onto the seat, where two seatbelt inserts (metal) were sticking upwards. I landed on them, right on my tailbone. It hurt a lot at the time, but the pain eased off. That was about two months ago. Since then, the pain has begun to escalate again, and it is easily as bad as when the injury was done. Bleh. Not encouraging that effective treatment of this, among nearly every pain I've had in life, seems to escape modern western medicine.

Comment from: jennyone, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Sitting have gotten painful I'm finding out it's only when I say on my bed, at work when sitting I have not experience an pain when sitting, Lately I have to lay on my side after sitting for periods of time in my bed, the feeling is strange it almost feel like the "cushion" is gone from my buttocks, putting something soft under to sit on helps somewhat but the pain/throbbing is still present. I'm 57 going through menopause.

Comment from: SUECAMPBELL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am 70 years young, first problem was I fell skating at 11 years old, I could not sit because when it was time to get up, I could not. Over the years many x-rays and MRIs were no help, last week my daughter took me to emergency room. In one of the best trauma centers they x-rayed and took CT scan, but could find nothing, but 3 days later we went to one of the top spinal doctors. From the same film he saw a cracked vertebrae, could not even see the end of tailbone, took new film of his own, and said my tailbone was enlarged dramatically. He gave me new pain medicine, muscle relaxer and something for arthritis.

Comment from: Lushdon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from coccydynia for two years. The orthopedic surgeon administered three Cortizone shots under anesthesia. I have had physical therapy upon onset of the pain and chiropractic manipulation. I recently went through 6 weeks of physiotherapy. The therapist thinks I have periformis syndrome. The periformis muscle in the hip is pinching my sciatic nerve. I have had relief from the pain but the tailbone is still sore.

Comment from: Aggie PT, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

A good physical therapist (preferably a pelvic floor therapist) can help with coccydynia symptoms using various manual therapy techniques such as muscle energy techniques, strengthening and stretching the right muscles, joint mobilizations, etc. I have helped several people with a painful/tender coccyx go from 8/10 pain to no pain at all. Physical problem-physical solution. Most of the time surgery is not needed.

Comment from: prowrestler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I'm 47-year-old former pro wrestler and I just started hurting about 4 months ago. I ride a motorcycle and it hurts going down the road right above the crack of my butt. It also hurts when I sit for a long period of time. I have found some stretching exercise helps the pain, but it doesn't go away.

Comment from: tee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 48 year old female, that has been experiencing this PAIN! in my butt. as I sit the pain awful, so I can't sit for long. had all kind of test done with no results as to why I have it. all I can say is Wow I'm not the only one.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had 2 lower back surgeries and now have this coccyx pain. Riding in the car and sitting make it even worse. Getting up after sitting is extremely painful. I am like everyone else posting here. I am sick of this pain all the time.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?