Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I have been experiencing tailbone, sacral area pain for the past year. Very neurogenic type symptoms. I have a Tarlov cyst on my S3-S4 nerve root and according to doctors that is not causing my symptoms, although information online states it can be symptomatic and all the symptoms mentioned I have. How can you definitely diagnosis coccyx pain? I've had no specific diagnosis yet and I have tried every neurogenic pain medicine, 3 epidural injections, anti-inflammatories and nothing helps. For the gentleman who is having intermittent pain when waking up, it could be proctalgia fugax. I am so frustrated I could scream.

Comment from: Tailbone pain lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I overdid it. I was traveling by car, lots of sitting, and lots of walking. I came home exhausted with lower back pain, but tolerable. After a week something aggravated it, perhaps some heavy lifting or maybe even sex. My coccyx hurts along with the lower part of my tailbone, and deep in my groin, more while sitting. It feels like I'm sitting on a rock. It also hurts when I'm lying directly on my tailbone. I need to lie on my side which is now sore as it's taking the brunt of the load. The doctor is not very helpful, after 2 months of pain he finally ordered an MRI but not of the coccyx region. He says it is arthritis, but I don't think my symptoms correspond. Although it could be. In the beginning walking helped relieve the pain. Now it gets worse after a short walk. I thought it was my sciatica piriformis muscle, but now I think it is a stress fracture.

Comment from: CrainHouse, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

For the past five months, I have been getting pain in my tail bone, and I have seen my doctor about it. She explained it is coccydynia. I was then given medicine and the pain calmed down slightly, although the pain was still there, it was bearable. It has worsened. I am still taking the medicine two times a day, as it explains on the packet, but I still get pain when sitting down on school chairs or benches and when I try to get up after sitting for both long and short periods of time.

Comment from: kimmymo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

My pain started after I was in month long training sessions and driving. It has been going on for about 9 months now. Sitting for long periods is awful, especially in meetings. I must look crazy trying to switch my position constantly. I have had an X-ray, CAT scan and MRI, all show no fracture, no bruising? I swear when I sit in the car I feel like I am sitting on a golf ball. Sitting on a tailbone pillow helps, but this is crazy.

Comment from: Suffering, Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am a chronic sufferer of coccydynia. I am actually having a bladder suspension done to see if getting pressure off of the pelvic floor will relieve any of the pain. I would like for someone to explain what a "resection of the coccyx" is. Maybe this could help with the pain. I either lie down or stand up and have to stay home most of the time.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

Coccydynia feels like a hot, dull knife and is the worst just before, during, and after my menstrual period. I was diagnosed in high school and it's been intermittent ever since. A cortisone injection did nothing, possibly even made it worse. Anti-inflammatories help a little. I get the most relief from a TENS unit.

Comment from: groomer, 45-54 Female Published: March 07

I passed out from tailbone pain, while having a bowel movement, because the pain was so bad. I went to the emergency room and they did an MRI of my head and regular X-rays of my lower back, but saw nothing wrong.

Comment from: michael, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm a 28 year old male and generally have very good health. I have been experiencing this incredible acute pain in my tailbone for several years. I have been to my doctor numerous times as the pain is absolutely unbearable, but my doctor does not seemed concerned whatsoever. I consider myself a pretty tough guy, but when this pain hits, I'm in tears it hurts so much! The issue I'm having is that the pain is not caused by anything in particular as others have posted. Many times I'm sleeping and I suddenly wake up with this pain, or I'm simply walking at work, driving in my car, etc. I find the only relief is to lay flat in bed with 2 pillows under my butt and bearing down (putting pressure on it) and wait it out.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?