Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: tango898, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I have had tailbone (coccyx) pain going on about 6-8 months. The pain is worsened by prolonged sitting and when trying to stand, it feels similar to what I imagine it would feel like to having a garden stake impaled on that area. It has gotten worse in the last 3 months for even walking. I have not fallen or have had any injury to that area. I do have RA and not sure if that is part of the reason for it starting. Finally seeing my PCP and finding out if anything short of surgery can be done.

Comment from: Aggie PT, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

A good physical therapist (preferably a pelvic floor therapist) can help with coccydynia symptoms using various manual therapy techniques such as muscle energy techniques, strengthening and stretching the right muscles, joint mobilizations, etc. I have helped several people with a painful/tender coccyx go from 8/10 pain to no pain at all. Physical problem-physical solution. Most of the time surgery is not needed.

Comment from: prowrestler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I'm 47-year-old former pro wrestler and I just started hurting about 4 months ago. I ride a motorcycle and it hurts going down the road right above the crack of my butt. It also hurts when I sit for a long period of time. I have found some stretching exercise helps the pain, but it doesn't go away.

Comment from: tee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am a 48 year old female, that has been experiencing this PAIN! in my butt. as I sit the pain awful, so I can't sit for long. had all kind of test done with no results as to why I have it. all I can say is Wow I'm not the only one.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had 2 lower back surgeries and now have this coccyx pain. Riding in the car and sitting make it even worse. Getting up after sitting is extremely painful. I am like everyone else posting here. I am sick of this pain all the time.

Comment from: lashall43, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

My tailbone pain started in the middle of 2011, I put up with it as long as I could. I finally went to see my doctor in February 2012. Of course I ended up in pain management. I have had three injections, and am getting ready to have a fourth. I'm on pain medicine now. First it was Hydrocodone, now I'm on Oxycodone, a much stronger drug. But the pain will not go away, it just came out of nowhere. I was thinking it came from sitting on hard chairs at my church. But I'm in pain all the time and it will not go away. Not sure what to do next.

Comment from: Charles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

Several weeks ago, I slipped off a small ladder, backwards. I went down hard, on concrete, hitting my elbow, head and tailbone. The lump on my head went away and my elbow feels fine now. It has now dawned on me why sitting upright and doing situps, pains my tailbone. I am not in severe pain by any means but I'm beginning to think that the lingering pain is from my fall. I suppose it's time to visit my doctor.

Comment from: rykerjem, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have cocydynia due to levaquin and predisone posioning. The MRI shows extreme inflammation to this area. The pain is horrendous, I cannot walk nor sit. I cannot take steroids or pain meds. I cannot get the inflammation to go away and cannot take anti-inflammatories as this makes the levaquin damage worse. I cannot live like this much longer. It has been 5 months of shearing pain.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?