Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?

Comment from: jp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been to three orthopedics, they all are giving me different diagnoses, I believe what I have is coccydynia. I have been suffering from this for the past year. It is now acute, I have tried physiotherapy, four spinal injections into the SI (sacroiliac) joint, piriformis muscle and facet joints. I also have had physical therapy upon onset of the pain and chiropractic manipulation now 2 times a week, and that is all out of pocket. I was very active, swimming, working out, etc. Now, I basically can't do anything, pain standing, pain sitting and even sleeping. Sometimes I get relief from swimming and stretching and later on there is the pain again. I have two young children ages 14 and 12 and a great husband that needs me. But, I don't want to be a burden for my family, I am supposed to take care of them. I am not optimistic anymore, sorry to say. These doctors give you hope, because they make money off of you and there is no hope for this.

Comment from: ToxicChatter, 25-34 (Patient) Published: August 13

I am working for a BPO (business process outsourcing) and have had pains on the tailbone area. I have no pain on the buttocks, only on the tailbone, but it is really giving me a hard time to sit and stand.

Comment from: Monica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I once experienced pain at my tail bone (coccydynia) after sitting for over 5 hours on the office chair. On getting up, I could not even walk well due too much pain but I went to see my doctor who treated me with tablets of Myospaz and Neurorubine and I got better.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I had one surgery for coccydynia that resulted in removing the tip of my tailbone after it was discovered during surgery to be fractured. It has been 5 months since surgery and later I had trigger point shots but pain in tailbone still exists. Surgeon discouraged and since tried everything else; trigger point shots, epidermal, physical therapy, etc. Now I am scheduled for another surgery to remove balance of tailbone.

Comment from: Ginny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 83 years old but still am active. I have had serious back pain most of my life due to my severe scoliosis. I have had surgery for three areas of stenosis in 1997 which alleviated the pain for about 18 months and then it recurred. I have had approximately 35 injections in my back over the years and at this point am pretty much resigned to using Celebrex and Ultram, both of which help somewhat. But I am very upset that all of a sudden I have coccydynia on top of everything else. I have had 3 injections that helped for a few days each and am scheduled for another soon. Coincidentally I have also developed severe constipation over about the same time period. I also occasionally have a problem urinating. I am wondering if all these things are related.

Comment from: tabascocat213, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was on our work shuttle, and as I sat down, the bus took off suddenly. I was propelled backwards and down onto the seat, where two seatbelt inserts (metal) were sticking upwards. I landed on them, right on my tailbone. It hurt a lot at the time, but the pain eased off. That was about two months ago. Since then, the pain has begun to escalate again, and it is easily as bad as when the injury was done. Bleh. Not encouraging that effective treatment of this, among nearly every pain I've had in life, seems to escape modern western medicine.

Comment from: jennyone, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Sitting have gotten painful I'm finding out it's only when I say on my bed, at work when sitting I have not experience an pain when sitting, Lately I have to lay on my side after sitting for periods of time in my bed, the feeling is strange it almost feel like the "cushion" is gone from my buttocks, putting something soft under to sit on helps somewhat but the pain/throbbing is still present. I'm 57 going through menopause.

Comment from: SUECAMPBELL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am 70 years young, first problem was I fell skating at 11 years old, I could not sit because when it was time to get up, I could not. Over the years many x-rays and MRIs were no help, last week my daughter took me to emergency room. In one of the best trauma centers they x-rayed and took CT scan, but could find nothing, but 3 days later we went to one of the top spinal doctors. From the same film he saw a cracked vertebrae, could not even see the end of tailbone, took new film of his own, and said my tailbone was enlarged dramatically. He gave me new pain medicine, muscle relaxer and something for arthritis.

Coccydynia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment of your coccydynia?