Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Treatments

What was the treatment of your coccydynia?

Comment from: Lorraine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had nerve blocks on my tailbone which did not work. I also took pain medications, iced that area, put a heating pad on it and nothing helped. I even sit on a cushion for that area and still nothing.

Comment from: 56 still in pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had my coccyx removed in 2010. I had pain for about 4 years before that. I got staph infection which was followed by 7 debridements. The staph ate to my pelvic bone. I was in the hospital for 27 days, then home with wound VAC, and PICC lines for another 3 months. The tailbone pain did go away. However, from all the debridements, I have a hole about a soft ball size. I can't do anything with all the pain, now my left buttock is killing me. So, now have to find out what's wrong with that. If you elect to have surgery there can be huge consequences.

Comment from: PAM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My coccydynia appears to be idiopathic. My tailbone pulls to the right. I have had 2 impart blocs. The first took all my pain away for about 9 mos. Afterward the pain gradually increased. A year after the first injection, I had a 2nd injection. This time the pain was reduced, but didn't totally go away. During that time I received PT, which did nothing for me at all. Pain is increasing again. Currently, at the advice of my doctor, I am seeing a chiropractor that works on that area. After 3 weeks of treatment, I have improved, but only slightly. Don't like needles, but seriously thinking of acupuncture. I have been told by my PA (who used to work in pain mgt.) that removing the coccyx in the patients she had seen, did not improve the situation.

Comment from: Pam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a bad fall several years ago which developed into coccydynia; but what I WASN'T told initially was "you can never sit on a hard surface again". Finally was told that after about the third flare-up. I have a cushion with a cut out triangle for the tailbone area that I absolutely have to use if I am going to be sitting on a hard surface OR sitting for a prolonged period of time. Haven't had any flare-ups since. Hope this will help others who suffer from this.

Comment from: Debe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 55 and have been suffering with chronic coccydynia for 6 years now. I also was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis) in 1994. Still walking, but with much pain from the tail bone, and the MS but the tail bone pain is the most gnawing, draining and unbearable pain I have ever experienced. I am scheduled on January 3rd 2013 to have my tailbone removed.

Comment from: jalal, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have got coccydynia in my tail bone since august till now and I have used the following drugs but I don't feel any sign of improvement in my pain: 1. Arital, 2. Duragesic, 3. Nexium, 4. Arthrotec 5.Brexxin and 6. Wilgesic.

Comment from: Muna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I suffered this when I was 17 after a weekend of sitting at a seminar. The pain was so bad I couldn't stand upright, lie on my tummy, or do anything. They did an X-ray scan, revealing an amount of pus about 3 cm in diameter. I was given ibuprofen and told to put some ice on it. However, five days later, I was back; this time, the scan revealed a deposit the size of a peach. They performed an incision straight away, put a drain in it, and gave me some antibiotics. I haven't had any problems since. I'm 29 now.

Coccydynia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?