Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Treatments

What was the treatment of your coccydynia?

Comment from: daljeet singh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been suffering with coccydynia for the last 3 months. I on my own started taking Naprosyn 500 mg twice a day and there is lot of improvement except the side effect of constipation and gas. Otherwise it is effective, and I have stopped after ten days. I wish everyone gets relief.

Comment from: Trish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had/have what I now know is coccydynia for a couple years now. It is hard to know as I suffer chronic pain from fibromyalgia. It developed when I was trying to gain core strength through exercise on advice/guidance of physiotherapist. Obviously I was not doing things right. I started seeing osteopath with improvements in overall pain. Started Pilates classes offered by my osteopath on advice of everyone for core strength. I still have some pain on occasion when sitting too long but nowhere near what I went through before. I am hopeful that the stronger I get, the less the pain will be.

Comment from: Lorraine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had nerve blocks on my tailbone which did not work. I also took pain medications, iced that area, put a heating pad on it and nothing helped. I even sit on a cushion for that area and still nothing.

Comment from: 56 still in pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had my coccyx removed in 2010. I had pain for about 4 years before that. I got staph infection which was followed by 7 debridements. The staph ate to my pelvic bone. I was in the hospital for 27 days, then home with wound VAC, and PICC lines for another 3 months. The tailbone pain did go away. However, from all the debridements, I have a hole about a soft ball size. I can't do anything with all the pain, now my left buttock is killing me. So, now have to find out what's wrong with that. If you elect to have surgery there can be huge consequences.

Comment from: Lovecats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had a nine pound baby back in 1978 and my tailbone was very painful right after. I sat on round pillow per my doctor's advice. In time I was far better but all of a sudden it is killing me. No falls or anything. This is so aggravating.

Comment from: Bethanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I have been suffering with coccydynia for 8.5 years. I understand the pain, it is horrible. I went into outpatients' room last night. It hurts to sit, hurts to stand and walk. They knew the pain that I am in, and after two hours of waiting to see a doctor, I left without having any medical attention. It sure puts life on hold. Pure misery!

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I must see a cardio specialist because I am experiencing numbness and tingling in my right legs up to my stomach. Then I have a hard time breathing, and after that I feel dizzy and sleepy.

Comment from: PAM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My coccydynia appears to be idiopathic. My tailbone pulls to the right. I have had 2 impart blocs. The first took all my pain away for about 9 mos. Afterward the pain gradually increased. A year after the first injection, I had a 2nd injection. This time the pain was reduced, but didn't totally go away. During that time I received PT, which did nothing for me at all. Pain is increasing again. Currently, at the advice of my doctor, I am seeing a chiropractor that works on that area. After 3 weeks of treatment, I have improved, but only slightly. Don't like needles, but seriously thinking of acupuncture. I have been told by my PA (who used to work in pain mgt.) that removing the coccyx in the patients she had seen, did not improve the situation.

Coccydynia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?