Patient Comments: Coccydynia - Treatments

What was the treatment of your coccydynia?

Comment from: PAM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My coccydynia appears to be idiopathic. My tailbone pulls to the right. I have had 2 impart blocs. The first took all my pain away for about 9 mos. Afterward the pain gradually increased. A year after the first injection, I had a 2nd injection. This time the pain was reduced, but didn't totally go away. During that time I received PT, which did nothing for me at all. Pain is increasing again. Currently, at the advice of my doctor, I am seeing a chiropractor that works on that area. After 3 weeks of treatment, I have improved, but only slightly. Don't like needles, but seriously thinking of acupuncture. I have been told by my PA (who used to work in pain mgt.) that removing the coccyx in the patients she had seen, did not improve the situation.

Comment from: Pam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a bad fall several years ago which developed into coccydynia; but what I WASN'T told initially was "you can never sit on a hard surface again". Finally was told that after about the third flare-up. I have a cushion with a cut out triangle for the tailbone area that I absolutely have to use if I am going to be sitting on a hard surface OR sitting for a prolonged period of time. Haven't had any flare-ups since. Hope this will help others who suffer from this.

Comment from: Debe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 55 and have been suffering with chronic coccydynia for 6 years now. I also was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis) in 1994. Still walking, but with much pain from the tail bone, and the MS but the tail bone pain is the most gnawing, draining and unbearable pain I have ever experienced. I am scheduled on January 3rd 2013 to have my tailbone removed.

Comment from: jalal, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have got coccydynia in my tail bone since august till now and I have used the following drugs but I don't feel any sign of improvement in my pain: 1. Arital, 2. Duragesic, 3. Nexium, 4. Arthrotec 5.Brexxin and 6. Wilgesic.

Comment from: Muna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I suffered this when I was 17 after a weekend of sitting at a seminar. The pain was so bad I couldn't stand upright, lie on my tummy, or do anything. They did an X-ray scan, revealing an amount of pus about 3 cm in diameter. I was given ibuprofen and told to put some ice on it. However, five days later, I was back; this time, the scan revealed a deposit the size of a peach. They performed an incision straight away, put a drain in it, and gave me some antibiotics. I haven't had any problems since. I'm 29 now.

Comment from: Beth98, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Strong painkillers were prescribed for me from my doctor. In addition time and taking it easy have helped. Sitting on a few cushions also helps when you need to sit down.

Comment from: Stebbens, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I've been 3 years in chronic pain form this coccydynia. I did the acupuncture with no relief. When I move I can feel it click to the right. I sit on a gel pad with no luck. I have had pain shots. What's next? I am out of options and look at a life time of pain. It kind of sucks as I cannot take inflammatory as I have stents and am on Plavix. My heart doctor says it is too risky for me to take so here I am a real pain in the backside looking for answers. I think there is none and removing it seems like it does not help or I would be the first to get this done. After three years I am just getting started with this chronic pain.

Comment from: Boxer579, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I fractured my tail bone in 2008 and since have been diagnosed with chronic tailbone pain, I have been thru numerous cortizone injections, physical therapy and various medications and NOTHING takes the pain away. I'm currently taking two types of morphine, robaxin, mobic and celexa (depression) and are thinking about having it removed. No one understands the pain I have, it's constant and sometimes it's unbearable.

Coccydynia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with your coccydynia?