Patient Comments: Coats' Disease - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of Coats' disease in someone you know?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My glasses broke in April of 2012. I was having some vision problems prior to that so went to the eye care center thinking all I needed was new glasses and maybe stronger ones, but immediately the doctor knew something was wrong because I was failing to see out of my right eye. I couldn't even see the big E with my right eye. She made me an appointment with an eye specialist for the following week and they did x-rays and that same day did a laser eye treatment to stop the bleeding in my right eye. My retinal blood vessel in my eye had been bleeding into my eye. Since then I had one more laser eye treatment and one shot in the eye and have been told not much can be done, just go for checkups to make sure it doesn't get worse again. I have only peripheral vision in the eye and am wearing bifocal glasses.

Comment from: Leafclover2002, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

When I was 15 I was diagnosed with this Coats' disease. At that point there was only 2 sentences that described this condition. I was the 3rd female in the USA diagnosed with this. I have been blind in my right eye since going through radiation and surgery in 2000. To this day it is very hard for me to look at myself in the mirror because I have a lazy eye and nothing can be done with this. I wish there was something more that could be done with this so people don't have to go through what I am going through.

Coats' Disease - Progression Question: Describe the progression of Coats' disease in a friend of family member.