Patient Comments: Cluster Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms do you get with your cluster headaches?

Comment from: aml, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had cluster headaches for about 7 years now. The pain behind the eye, temple and neck is a pain that I would not wish on anyone. My right eye waters (sometimes droops), along with my right nostril always dripping. I bought a body massager and use that on my temple and any very sore and sensitive area on my scalp. I have taken medications but nothing ever seemed to work. Some nights my cries are a little scary, if you didn"t know me. The pain will make you say some things that you normally would not think to say.

Comment from: roxy40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had cluster headaches since the beginning of January. The pain is on the left side of my face. It feels like a stabbing pain. I have pain in the jaw, cheek and neck. The pain is so bad that even touching my hair on my left side hurts, my left sinus cavity is always blocked and I feel all stuffed up. Mine start in the morning and continue what feels like all day long. Left eye tears up and there are times I can"t take the pain. OTC pain medications don"t help, finally started on Imitrex, but the pain is so bad.

Comment from: Katrina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

It seems like almost like clockwork. The cluster headaches could happen at any time of the month it lasts as long as two days. I don"t know why that is, but I wake up with my left side and temple throbbing. Also my left eye droops with a burning pain in my ear going down my neck. I put a heating pad on that side and try to nap, helping it somewhat.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I have severe pain in and around the right eye when I have cluster headaches. The eye is pink and the eye lid is droopy. The attacks are anywhere from a few minutes after I go to bed to several hours later and last for 1 to 4 hours. This particular time is 11 nights straight and counting. I have had these two other times, in 2011 for two weeks and in 2005 that lasted 3 months. I have had all the scans, MRIs, eye tests, etc., and nothing else seems wrong. It feels like my eyeball is in a vise and I have noticed some tautness in the base of my right neck muscles.

Comment from: Grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been diagnosed by a doctor. My cluster headache is in and around my right eye, the pain is also in my right forehead and radiates somewhat deeper into my head at time, my right eye also waters sometimes and the right side of my nose is involved as well. Sometimes, like now, I am nauseated.

Comment from: Herley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I have been diagnosed with cluster headaches. The symptoms I have is watery eyes, severe pain around my forehead just above the left eye, the white of the eye is pink in color, point just above the eye is sore to touch, severe headache lasting four days, feeling that my sinus track above my left eye blocked and solid with mucus. This has happened every three or four years in period and has the same effect. The acute pain disappears after around four days then a dull pain slowly disappears, no set time of the year when it gets triggered.

Comment from: wwimmer, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have severe pain behind my eye, in my forehead, temple and my ear. I get very sick to my stomach. These headaches last 2 to 4 hours.

Comment from: Noclusters, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was just diagnosed with cluster headaches. I have severe electric shock/stabbing pain in corner of head. It is on one side only, face does get droopy and OTC medications don"t work. Eye and Jaw are not affected. I just started medications. I have had a quite a few head injuries, I wonder if cluster headaches would just start up for no reason. Well, I"ll see if medication works next time I get an episode.

Comment from: PVT01, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

My cluster headache lasts from 15 minutes to a maximum duration of about 3 hours.

Cluster Headaches - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for cluster headaches?
Cluster Headaches - Triggers Question: What triggers your cluster headaches?