Patient Comments: Cluster Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms do you get with your cluster headaches?

Comment from: LKD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am a long time sufferer of cluster headaches (CH) for about 40 years now, so I have tried all the drugs and treatments. The closest pain description of my CH is like having a brain freeze for 4 to 6 hours at a time, along with the droopy eye, stuffy nose and burning sensation when breathing, and nausea/or vomiting. The seasons and durations have changed throughout the years. My season usually starts February through May for about 6 to 8 weeks with a minimum of 30 plus attacks I couldn't stop. Nowadays, an attack will wake me up just before the deep sleep and re-occur 2 to 3 times a night or early morning if I can stop an attack. I hated the side effects of all the preventative medicines so I stopped using them, not to mention the cost, and by the time they start to work, my season was about over. Alcohol intensifies the pain, but does not cause the attacks, so I don't drink during my season.

Comment from: aml, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had cluster headaches for about 7 years now. The pain behind the eye, temple and neck is a pain that I would not wish on anyone. My right eye waters (sometimes droops), along with my right nostril always dripping. I bought a body massager and use that on my temple and any very sore and sensitive area on my scalp. I have taken medications but nothing ever seemed to work. Some nights my cries are a little scary, if you didn"t know me. The pain will make you say some things that you normally would not think to say.

Comment from: roxy40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have had cluster headaches since the beginning of January. The pain is on the left side of my face. It feels like a stabbing pain. I have pain in the jaw, cheek and neck. The pain is so bad that even touching my hair on my left side hurts, my left sinus cavity is always blocked and I feel all stuffed up. Mine start in the morning and continue what feels like all day long. Left eye tears up and there are times I can"t take the pain. OTC pain medications don"t help, finally started on Imitrex, but the pain is so bad.

Comment from: Katrina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

It seems like almost like clockwork. The cluster headaches could happen at any time of the month it lasts as long as two days. I don"t know why that is, but I wake up with my left side and temple throbbing. Also my left eye droops with a burning pain in my ear going down my neck. I put a heating pad on that side and try to nap, helping it somewhat.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I have severe pain in and around the right eye when I have cluster headaches. The eye is pink and the eye lid is droopy. The attacks are anywhere from a few minutes after I go to bed to several hours later and last for 1 to 4 hours. This particular time is 11 nights straight and counting. I have had these two other times, in 2011 for two weeks and in 2005 that lasted 3 months. I have had all the scans, MRIs, eye tests, etc., and nothing else seems wrong. It feels like my eyeball is in a vise and I have noticed some tautness in the base of my right neck muscles.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

My cluster headaches (CH) started 1966 regular as clockwork every 13 months and same time each day. This pattern changed over the years, currently every 2-1/2 years and random throughout day. I was prescribed medications to block CH but lost effectiveness after a few years. Finally I was prescribed injectable Imitrex. Works like a charm, knocks off CH at outset of symptoms. Can't speak highly enough of this treatment, removes fear of another episode.

Comment from: Grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have been diagnosed by a doctor. My cluster headache is in and around my right eye, the pain is also in my right forehead and radiates somewhat deeper into my head at time, my right eye also waters sometimes and the right side of my nose is involved as well. Sometimes, like now, I am nauseated.

Cluster Headaches - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for cluster headaches?
Cluster Headaches - Triggers Question: What triggers your cluster headaches?