Patient Comments: Cluster Headaches - Triggers

What triggers your cluster headaches?

Comment from: Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

I suffer with the cluster headache for the last 9 years. The only thing that triggers it is that temperature change cause flu and then after one or two days my nose starts running and then this headache will start. In this pain I feel left side of head and behind the eye. For relief I take cold shower.

Comment from: Kim V, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Everything and nothing; my cluster headaches seem to be seasonal. It could be coincidental, I'm not sure. Alcohol is a certain trigger. Relaxation or REM sleep are also pretty certain triggers. I have been having it for 20 years and am currently in a cycle.

Comment from: Veteran Sufferer, (Patient) Published: July 05

I have been suffering from cluster headaches for 23 years, and I can honestly say that I've tried everything. Here's what I've discovered through years of trial and error: Oxygen therapy and caffeine help during acute attacks, but in the peak of a cycle, sometimes even those items don't work. Major triggers to avoid: alcohol, MSG (there are over 50 names it's hidden under in food labels!), vinegar, chocolate and pretty much any processed foods. The preventive medicines don't help, and the side effects are as bad as the headaches. I wish someone had told me about these triggers long ago, but maybe my experience can help you.

Comment from: Battrick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have cluster headaches on my left side. While the trigger is unknown, I break out my essential oil PanAway and rub it on it, and it seems to help in a very short amount of time. I can open my eye with no pain.

Comment from: JC, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have dealt with cluster headaches for the past 5 years. They can occur monthly or every 3 to 4 months apart. Last year I had a remission from these headaches but now they have returned. I don"t know if allergies or stress triggers these headaches.

Comment from: Mimi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have been suffering with cluster headaches for the past 4 years. Sometimes they last up to two months with the pain starting minimal and increasing with time then slowly going away. I also suffer from migraine, but it's easy to differentiate between the two because my cluster headaches pain is more severe and it lasts longer. With my cluster headaches I feel restless. Whereas with my migraines every single movement makes it worse.

Comment from: thebigE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

Everything, nothing, I have no idea. What could be a trigger when you are sound asleep and wake up in a full blown searing, pounding, aching, screaming cluster!

Cluster Headaches - Treatment Question: What treatment did you have for cluster headaches?
Cluster Headache - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you get with your cluster headaches?